Beef Gelatin in place of PWO Whey Protein

• This topic has 3 voices and 3 replies.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Spatz

Question/subject I'm interested to see if anyone has any feedback on. My father is supplementing with NOWfoods powdered beef gelatin in his fruit supernutrition smoothies, and reading the nutrition label made an idea pop into my head. Per TBSP of this powder, there is 9g of protein. Could I just use beef gelatin powder in place of my whey protein shake? Good for my joints as well as a good amount of protein per scoop. Why? Why not? Maybe better to go half and half to get benefits from both? Any thoughts on the subject?

There is more or less no leucine, and it's not a complete protein so it's not so good for protein synthesis. Adding about 10-20g a day to your total protein isn't bad though.

Gl;itch.e

There is more or less no leucine, and it's not a complete protein so it's not so good for protein synthesis. Adding about 10-20g a day to your total protein isn't bad though.

Good advice. I could see you going higher if you wanted to as well. I do about 30-40g a day. 10g in each of my morning coffee's and then I make gummys out of it as well. I wouldn't use it post workout (as Trev has mentioned) when a full amino acid profile is most beneficial but any other time in the day it could be used. Since it is high in Glycine it makes a good "relaxing" protein for nearer the end of the day and pre bed.

Spatz

Ah, wonderful! That's exactly what I wanted to know. I had a hunch it was something like that, just felt like I needed more knowledgable feedback. Thanks you guys.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Beef Gelatin in place of PWO Whey Protein

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?