Best footwear

• This topic has 12 voices and 32 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author

samuel r walker
    Participant

Im looking to get a new pair of shoes, mostly for squats. Im leaning towards the romaleo 2s, but idk if the heel is to thick for wide stance low bars. Right now im using wrestling shoes which are great compared to the trainers i was using prior. Any inputs anyone?

CBachelor17

There are tons of “Lifting Shoes” out right now. The most common used is probably chucks though. Rebok and other companies make some good shoes but they cost a pretty penny. I just use Nike training shoes. When Im doing deep squats the shoes come off though.

samuel r walker
    Participant

Im more intrested in a pair with a heel. My wrestling shoes are pretty good, just looking to see what types ppl have tried

Roadblock
    Participant

Fuck the heel. Chucks are the way to go.  😉RB

I like a raised heel for squats. You can get nice and deep while keeping the weight centered to the middle of your foot. I picked up a pair of Adipower Weightlifting shoes from adidas and they did wonders for my Squat form. They are in line with romaleo 2's in quality and price. You will want a snug fit (not overly tight but you want to feel like your foot is planted in that shoe and won't wiggle around) most people do well with a 1/2 size smaller than what they normally wear (unless you have super wide feet).Just as a note some people prefer different heel heights than others. To test this check what size the heel raise is from the shoe you are considering getting, go to the gym and place some plates under the heels of your wrestling shoes to test it out.

Spatz

Haha! I actually use a pair of pink converse xD I love them for squats and deads.

Roadblock
    Participant

Now if this is a pic of the OP then i take it back..http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6143/5968325479_66e2939bd0_o.jpgRB

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Fuck the Chucks.  Oly Shoes are the way to go.  😉

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Im looking to get a new pair of shoes, mostly for squats. Im leaning towards the romaleo 2s, but idk if the heel is to thick for wide stance low bars. Right now im using wrestling shoes which are great compared to the trainers i was using prior. Any inputs anyone?

I squat wide and low bar and I like the 3/4" heel that I use.  To try and get the feel of it.  Experiment with squatting with different block heights under your heels to get the feel.

samuel r walker
    Participant

Good shit guys, thanks for the tips.

samuel r walker
    Participant

Went with romaleos 2s.. So far ive only low bared w em – best squatting session to date.

Answer really is it depends on what form is best for you.If you are a low bar wide stance person, yes chucks usually would be best so that you are flat and can create torque.Even high bar if you are more wide stance chucks could work better.Oly shoes on a back squat only really come into play if you don't have good calf and ankle mobility.With good mobility you should be able to force your knees out and glide knees to your toes without issue.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Answer really is it depends on what form is best for you.If you are a low bar wide stance person, yes chucks usually would be best so that you are flat and can create torque.Even high bar if you are more wide stance chucks could work better.Oly shoes on a back squat only really come into play if you don't have good calf and ankle mobility.With good mobility you should be able to force your knees out and glide knees to your toes without issue.

I actually disagree.  I squat low bar and wide and I prefer a heel over chucks.  I can create just much torque with my heels as I can with Chucks (how else do you think Olympic lifters create torque?).  Actually heels do more than just fix ankle mobility issues.  They reduce forward lean and help bring your quads into the lift.  Most of the best raw lifters are now using Olympic shoes because this.  Just look at Dan Green and the Lillebridges.  Chucks are a Louie Simmons and a Westside thing, which we all know are pretty much all geared lifters.  Most of those guys don't even do raw free squats. 

I understand what you are saying but I cannot really agree.If anything the heel will allow for more ham recruitment. Most lifters I have ever seen in a gym at the bottom of a squat have their heel come up slightly without even realizing it. With an Oly shoe they have full contact allowing them to push up with their full foot which in turn adds their posterior chain.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I understand what you are saying but I cannot really agree.If anything the heel will allow for more ham recruitment. Most lifters I have ever seen in a gym at the bottom of a squat have their heel come up slightly without even realizing it. With an Oly shoe they have full contact allowing them to push up with their full foot which in turn adds their posterior chain.

Lifter's heels come up off the ground because they have weak posterior chains and their body's are trying to use their comparatively stronger quads.  Whether a squat is posterior chain or quad dominant depends on the shin angle.  Compare a sissy squat to Westside style box squat.  The sissy squat is an extreme example of a quad dominant squat and a Westside Style box squat is an extreme example of a posterior chain dominant squat.  Compare the shin agles to squatting with a heel.  Which one is more like the heel?  The answer is the sissy squat.If Olympic shoes made you more posterior chain dominant Olympic lifters would not use them.  Posterior chain dominance is considered bad in Olympic lifting.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best footwear

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?