Book Question Thread

• This topic has 5 voices and 12 replies.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Damon Amato
    Participant

p. 19"You can't help but notice the methodical chanting of athletic trainers, nutritionists, and even your friends who watch Oprah religiously."As an Athletic Trainer, I can tell you most of my colleagues don't know more than the two nutrition classes and biochemistry class we have to take in school.  It is utterly apparent that there are a lot of unathletic trainers.  However, those of us who do go for extra education on this subject I think are smarter, being that the focus is entirely on athlete nutrition and performance.  Athletic Trainers, by and large, would not be the medical professional type to ever put a person on a reduced calorie diet.  I know this is more of a statement than question, but I feel like I must defend my field.p. 38“Eating high levels of protein without enough fat or carbohydrates actually accelerates the rate of muscle loss.”I'm guessing this is the beginning of Lyle McDonald's dislike.  I'm assuming you both have specific references on this subject.  Can you tell me why his theories are incomplete or incorrect?I wanted to start this in the hopes that Kiefer will be able to clear up certain things in the book that we are curious about.p. 19"You can't help but notice the methodical chanting of athletic trainers, nutritionists, and even your friends who watch Oprah religiously."As an Athletic Trainer, I can tell you most of my colleagues don't know more than the two nutrition classes and biochemistry class we have to take in school.  It is utterly apparent that there are a lot of unathletic trainers.  However, those of us who do go for extra education on this subject I think are smarter, being that the focus is entirely on athlete nutrition and performance.  Athletic Trainers, by and large, would not be the medical professional type to ever put a person on a reduced calorie diet.  I know this is more of a statement than question, but I feel like I must defend my field.p. 38“Eating high levels of protein without enough fat or carbohydrates actually accelerates the rate of muscle loss.”I'm guessing this is the beginning of Lyle McDonald's dislike.  I'm assuming you both have specific references on this subject.  Can you tell me why his theories are incomplete or incorrect?What's the physilogical difference between a Carb-Nite and a refeed day proposed by some other diets (not just the ketogenic diet)?p. 46“...the body needs dietary fat to survive, while carbs remain optional.”Brain and nerve cells can't convert ketones to use, they require actual glucose (according to most textbooks).  Does that mean you disagree or is there more to it than that?More questions coming as I read more, however my kids are caling right now...

nz6stringaxe

I don't have an exact reference, nor am I Kiefer, but with regard to the ketone use in the brain, Lyle MacDonald (in The Ketogenic Diet) explained how once the body shifts into a state of ketosis, the brain shifts its fuel requirements away from glucose to spare it. He gives an example in which, if you require 100g of glucose for your brain to function (intaking 99g would yield gluconeogenesis from somewhere), the shift will allow ketones to balance out the need. All of a sudden the brain only needs 25g and can get by on 75g ketones…which obviously would allow a more efficient use of glucose in times of starvation. I found it interesting that while the brain can use ketones for energy, it can never completely give up glucose. Glucose is SO important that we don't need it in the diet! Our bodies will just synthesize it from protein or fats – I find that fascinating.Again, I don't have the exact reference, but it's somewhere in the first quarter/third of The Ketogenic Diet.

Naomi Most

p. 46“...the body needs dietary fat to survive, while carbs remain optional.”Brain and nerve cells can't convert ketones to use, they require actual glucose (according to most textbooks).  Does that mean you disagree or is there more to it than that?More questions coming as I read more, however my kids are caling right now...

The body can and does generate a steady state of glucose, fed out either by liver glycogen or via gluconeogenesis (protein -> glucose).What's hilarious is that I can find this info in a standard nutrition textbook, and yet you still hear registered dieticians insist that we need to eat carbs to feed our brains otherwise COMA and DEATH!

Naomi Most

p. 38“Eating high levels of protein without enough fat or carbohydrates actually accelerates the rate of muscle loss.”I'm guessing this is the beginning of Lyle McDonald's dislike.  I'm assuming you both have specific references on this subject.  Can you tell me why his theories are incomplete or incorrect?

The way Kiefer explains it, eating high protein and low fat/low carb shifts the metabolism to burning a lot of protein as fuel, all the time. What's made of protein? Muscles. So if you aren't on the eat-around-the-clock plan (and that includes 2am and 5am), keeping amino acids in your bloodstream, your body will go ahead and use muscles to generate more glucose.I don't have a firm grasp on the research for this one though.

Jerad

so high protein and high fat is okay? I kinda took away from the book to keep protein moderate to low and go nutty with fat.

Damon Amato
    Participant

p. 84-85"your best choice [of protein] comes from milk.  The only problem is that you can't get whey protein from drinking milk."I don't understand.  Whey protein is derived from milk, yet drinking milk will not yield any whey protein?  Please explain.Also, the book states long cardio exercise sessions should be avoided while on CN.  I do taekwondo 3-4 night a week, which is a 45 minute class, mostly "cardio" I suppose.  Sometimes it's an easy class when we take turns kicking the paddles, but other times we do 1-2 minute long drills of 3-kick combinations on heavy bags the entire class.  According the the book this will speed up muscle loss.  How can I avoid that and modify those days while on CN?

Jerad

Page 50:Whey protein comes from milk, but gets destroyed during pasteurization,leaving little available in the average diet.

Damon Amato
    Participant

ahh, TY.

CaseyD

p. 84-85"your best choice [of protein] comes from milk.  The only problem is that you can't get whey protein from drinking milk."I don't understand.  Whey protein is derived from milk, yet drinking milk will not yield any whey protein?  Please explain.Also, the book states long cardio exercise sessions should be avoided while on CN.  I do taekwondo 3-4 night a week, which is a 45 minute class, mostly "cardio" I suppose.  Sometimes it's an easy class when we take turns kicking the paddles, but other times we do 1-2 minute long drills of 3-kick combinations on heavy bags the entire class.  According the the book this will speed up muscle loss.  How can I avoid that and modify those days while on CN?

My guess would be consuming adequate protein... In any event, although I can see how bag work can be taxing, I wouldn't think it would destroy that much muscle. Just keep food up and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Naomi Most

Page 50:Whey protein comes from milk, but gets destroyed during pasteurization,leaving little available in the average diet.

Right. Which is the ONLY argument the raw milk advocates have in their favor, IMHO.

Jaydeep Jha
    Participant

Right. Which is the ONLY argument the raw milk advocates have in their favor, IMHO.

what?  raw milk totally rules!  if it wasn't so darn pricey 🙁

Naomi Most

what?  raw milk totally rules!  if it wasn't so darn pricey 🙁

I wasn't referring to the taste, just the nutritional benefits.Although come to think of it, non-pasteurized milk probably has better fatty acid composition too. Depends on how the cows were fed. I hope raw milk drinkers are getting milk from grass-fed cows.

Lasse Elsbak
    Participant

also, pasteurization destroys all the lactase. =(

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Book Question Thread

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?