Building calves!

• This topic has 8 voices and 30 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author

samuel r walker
    Participant

Anyone have any good workouts for building up calves.. I kno most ppl think they do but in reality its their genetics.. Anyone else here actually had small calves and built them up with a good routine? Ive worked mine hard for years to no avail, maybe added about half an inch over the past 6 months or so using kiefers calve workout but they dont wanna grow anymore, and reamain the weakest part of my physique.. especially considering my arms are like 2-3 inches bigger:/

Spatz

When I do my squats I also do weighted calf raises with whatever weight I have for my squat, always seem to burn after I'm finished and be sore the next day.

samuel r walker
    Participant

When I do my squats I also do weighted calf raises with whatever weight I have for my squat, always seem to burn after I'm finished and be sore the next day.

I do em 2x a week! Occasionally to the point where theyre so sore its literally hurts to apply any pressure haha.. But DOMS doesnt necessarily correlate mass accumulation unfortunately.

Maybe look into blood flow restriction training.That or heavy loaded carries for distance.Sadly calves rely a lot on genetics.

David M Pope
    Participant

Nothing has worked better for me (and my chicken legs) as plyometrics.

https://one.body.io/forums/topic/inchxinch-b2b-log-were-in-hell-gentlemen/

samuel r walker
    Participant

Maybe look into blood flow restriction training.That or heavy loaded carries for distance.Sadly calves rely a lot on genetics.

Any xp on those?

samuel r walker
    Participant

What kind of stuff do u implement?

David M Pope
    Participant

Something like:A. Box Jumps 1 (12-15 inch box); 4 sets of 10 reps; Rest: 15 seconds*Add 4 reps every week.B. Box Jumps 2 (tall as possible); 4 sets of 6 reps; Rest: 60 seconds*Add height to the box every week.C. Drop Jump; 4 sets of 6 reps; Rest: 60 seconds...2-4x/week or as often as you canAlso, sprints seem to help my calves size-wise.  These would be something like:Weeks 1-26 sec sprint; 54 second recovery x 48 sec sprint; 52 second recovery x 4Weeks 3-48 sec sprint; 52 second recovery x 410 sec sprint; 50 second recovery x 412 sec sprint; 48 second recovery x 2Weeks 5-612 sec sprint; 48 second recovery x 414 sec sprint; 46 second recovery x 416 sec sprint; 44 second recovery x 4...1-3x/weekFoot speed/agility drills (think like ladder/dot agility stuff) would also be something to try.

https://one.body.io/forums/topic/inchxinch-b2b-log-were-in-hell-gentlemen/

Spatz

Something like:A. Box Jumps 1 (12-15 inch box); 4 sets of 10 reps; Rest: 15 seconds*Add 4 reps every week.B. Box Jumps 2 (tall as possible); 4 sets of 6 reps; Rest: 60 seconds*Add height to the box every week.C. Drop Jump; 4 sets of 6 reps; Rest: 60 seconds...2-4x/week or as often as you canAlso, sprints seem to help my calves size-wise.  These would be something like:Weeks 1-26 sec sprint; 54 second recovery x 48 sec sprint; 52 second recovery x 4Weeks 3-48 sec sprint; 52 second recovery x 410 sec sprint; 50 second recovery x 412 sec sprint; 48 second recovery x 2Weeks 5-612 sec sprint; 48 second recovery x 414 sec sprint; 46 second recovery x 416 sec sprint; 44 second recovery x 4...1-3x/weekFoot speed/agility drills (think like ladder/dot agility stuff) would also be something to try.

I'm going to pass this onto the hubby, he always complains about his chicken legs and lack of calf muscles.  😉 Thanks so much for sharing!

CBachelor17

Calves are a lot like abdominals in a way. In that they require a lot of movement to exhaust, and to build them they need to be exhausted. Try some isolated lifts working them 2x a week at least. And alternating the type (High Rep-Heavy Weight)When Doing heavy weight its probably ideal to do a seated version, even better if the foot rest is inclined. Do a heavy weight that makes them burn after 10-15 reps. Repeat 3-5 times. On High Rep days try standing raises with a BB+Weights on your back. Stand on something slightly elevated so you start the motion with your toes above your heals, and do as many as you can untill you cant stand the burn anymore. Repeat that at least 3 times. These two exercises will leave you walking funny. Esp if you do them to end off a Leg Training Routine.

samuel r walker
    Participant

Thanks for taking the time for that man.. Polymetrics are not something I have tried yet for size

Any xp on those?

On which one?

samuel r walker
    Participant

Any xp on those?

On which one?

What does bloodflow restriction entail?

samuel r walker
    Participant

Calves are a lot like abdominals in a way. In that they require a lot of movement to exhaust, and to build them they need to be exhausted. Try some isolated lifts working them 2x a week at least. And alternating the type (High Rep-Heavy Weight)When Doing heavy weight its probably ideal to do a seated version, even better if the foot rest is inclined. Do a heavy weight that makes them burn after 10-15 reps. Repeat 3-5 times. On High Rep days try standing raises with a BB+Weights on your back. Stand on something slightly elevated so you start the motion with your toes above your heals, and do as many as you can untill you cant stand the burn anymore. Repeat that at least 3 times. These two exercises will leave you walking funny. Esp if you do them to end off a Leg Training Routine.

This is pretty much how I used to train them.. got a nice toned effect but added no size:/

Any xp on those?

On which one?

What does bloodflow restriction entail?

Wrap knee wraps around the top of your calf to a 7 level tightness (roughly) use light weight and rest 30 second between sets, do 30 reps, 15 reps, 15 reps, 15 reps

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Building calves!

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?