Building calves!

• This topic has 8 voices and 30 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author

CBachelor17

Calves are a lot like abdominals in a way. In that they require a lot of movement to exhaust, and to build them they need to be exhausted. Try some isolated lifts working them 2x a week at least. And alternating the type (High Rep-Heavy Weight)When Doing heavy weight its probably ideal to do a seated version, even better if the foot rest is inclined. Do a heavy weight that makes them burn after 10-15 reps. Repeat 3-5 times. On High Rep days try standing raises with a BB+Weights on your back. Stand on something slightly elevated so you start the motion with your toes above your heals, and do as many as you can untill you cant stand the burn anymore. Repeat that at least 3 times. These two exercises will leave you walking funny. Esp if you do them to end off a Leg Training Routine.

This is pretty much how I used to train them.. got a nice toned effect but added no size:/

Than you werent working them enough with heavy weight. 10-15 heavy reps no more than 15 no less than 8 ideally. So that the 9th or the 16th would be damn near impossible to get. Should initiate growth. Esp if your training them 2+ times a week. Could just be genetic as mentioned :/

Ronok

Sometimes I'm really glad that I have such meaty calves.I still always try to beat the shit out of them every workout though.

CBachelor17

Sometimes I'm really glad that I have such meaty calves.I still always try to beat the shit out of them every workout though.

^ Example of genetic factors  >:( haha

samuel r walker
    Participant

Haha

Gl;itch.e

my limited calf building success has made me come to the conclusion (at least for me) that training the soleus is more important than the gastrocs. after years of only training the gastrocs I finally saw some size and shape come out from training the gastrocnemius, heavy and really high rep.

Gl;itch.e

Also, most people have never trained their calfs when they say the have “tried everything”. I can count on one finger the amount of people Ive seen in my gym actually use muscular action as opposed to bouncing and using inertia and tendon reflex to move the weights.

CBachelor17

Also, most people have never trained their calfs when they say the have "tried everything". I can count on one finger the amount of people Ive seen in my gym actually use muscular action as opposed to bouncing and using inertia and tendon reflex to move the weights.

I agree, thats why I suggest a TUT rep method or at very least focused controlled reps, although in some instances and training different techniques are needed. This type of training is hit on the head n Mike Lipowski's book, "Pure Physique." it changed the way I trained honestly. good for motivational support, but very insightful on effective training as well.

TCB
    Participant

Calves are a lot like abdominals in a way. In that they require a lot of movement to exhaust, and to build them they need to be exhausted. Try some isolated lifts working them 2x a week at least. And alternating the type (High Rep-Heavy Weight)When Doing heavy weight its probably ideal to do a seated version, even better if the foot rest is inclined. Do a heavy weight that makes them burn after 10-15 reps. Repeat 3-5 times. On High Rep days try standing raises with a BB+Weights on your back. Stand on something slightly elevated so you start the motion with your toes above your heals, and do as many as you can untill you cant stand the burn anymore. Repeat that at least 3 times. These two exercises will leave you walking funny. Esp if you do them to end off a Leg Training Routine.

That's kinda the direct opposite of how CBL-HD does it. For calves in that program, Kiefer has you do 100 reps of seated calf raises in as few sets as possible to create exhaustion, then move onto heavy standing raises for 8-10 reps..So that's something else that could be trained. Also, Sammy, check the gender wars tubecast on calves..

CBachelor17

How is that the opposite? Working them to exhaustion is what Im referring to. Just because Keifers plan has you pump your calves for 100 reps before hand? 

samuel r walker
    Participant

Thanks man, and I have checked it out and have been implementing it over the past yr or so.. most of which time was during CNS so no expected mass gains there.. I think most ppl would be suprised on how little weight they can do 100 full range of motion reps! I personally cant go over a 25 lb plate in less than 3 sets to make 100, w 30 sec rest periods in between. He talks about fully exhausting the soleus, which responds to lighter weight w higher reps with the knee bent under 90°, to fully engage the gastroc. which is only completely isolated when the knees are locked straight and soleus is totally exhausted.

TCB
    Participant

How is that the opposite? Working them to exhaustion is what Im referring to. Just because Keifers plan has you pump your calves for 100 reps before hand?

Opposite order is what I meant. You said do the heavy seated, and the high rep standing. CBL-HD is the reverse; high rep seated, heavy standing.Wasn't knocking you, saying it could be another tack to try. Never know when any little change will make a difference.

CBachelor17

Opposite order is what I meant. You said do the heavy seated, and the high rep standing. CBL-HD is the reverse; high rep seated, heavy standing.Wasn't knocking you, saying it could be another tack to try. Never know when any little change will make a difference.

I was suggesting doing so on completely different days. CBL-HD isnt the only method of building calves. Also that exercise is prescribed during one (leg) day on a 4 Day Split routine. If your calves are lacking your going to want to work them differently, and more frequently. CBL-HD is deff not a one size fits all plan; and just pulling out an exercise out of the plan and working it on your own is certainly not going to be a sure-all answer to your problems.

TCB
    Participant

I was suggesting doing so on completely different days. CBL-HD isnt the only method of building calves. Also that exercise is prescribed during one (leg) day on a 4 Day Split routine. If your calves are lacking your going to want to work them differently, and more frequently. CBL-HD is deff not a one size fits all plan; and just pulling out an exercise out of the plan and working it on your own is certainly not going to be a sure-all answer to your problems.

Whoa whoa.. Settle! 😛  ;DI wasn't recommending CBL-HD, nor saying it was the only/best method. As I said, just another tack that could be tried. Wasn't arguing at all, just giving another option. Just like the GenderWars video, just another option. And I didn't realize you were saying two different days for each movement, I personally work calves 2x a week(when I can, and my right one isn't being a bitch), even though I do "follow" CBL-HD. I definitely think calves are something that can benefit from a "frequency method," or a "grease the groove" type thing where you hit them several times per week, or maybe even several times a day a couple days a week.

CBachelor17

Not sure what you mean by settle? lol Just trying to keep an open perspective on here is all. I deff see what you are saying.

TCB
    Participant

Not sure what you mean by settle? lol Just trying to keep an open perspective on here is all. I deff see what you are saying.

I mean stop yelling at me! ;P Bro-hug? 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Building calves!

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?