Can’t Sleep During Carb Nites

• This topic has 12 voices and 17 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

AdamFiddler
    Keymaster

So I decided to go ahead and branch out from sweet potatoes and jasmine rice for my backloads and actually do a proper Carb Nite protocol while dialing my training down a bit to accomodate.  I've done two Carb Nites so far (will post my foods for them in a minute), but I can't seem to sleep for long after ingesting the carbs, as I feel wide awake and energetic.  Am I doing it right?  I figure this is a sign that either my muscles aren't soaking up the carbs, I'm having way too many, or it's just shocking my system as it's supposed to and this will subside through future Carb Nites.  Yesterday, for example, here was my training and then post-training ingestion:Training:Strict overhead press:  3x5 (Hit failure on the fifth rep of the last set)Bench Press:  Work up to max, 5 rest-pause singles at 90% of 1RM, 5 rest-pause singles at 80-85% of 1RM, 5 pin presses at 80-85% of 1RMPush-ups:  One set of max effort.Post-Training NutritionPWO Shake: 50g BlueBonnet Grass-Fed Whey in water w/ 3 fairly ripe bananas (just ate bananas alongside instead of blending) 30-45 Minutes Later:  1 lb. grass-fed sirloin tip w/ about 1 cup jasmine riceOver the next 3 hours after that:  650g grass-fed organic gelato (1.4 pints), 4 medium-sized gluten free cinnamon vanilla glazed donuts (in total these two should equate to about 400-450g of carbs, with much of it from sugar).I'm waking up leaner after my Carb Nites, but would really like to know if there's a way to stop feeling a kid who just ate 4,000 Pixie Stix for hours afterwards.  Thanks,Adam

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I have trouble sleeping sometimes too, when I backload.  I actually do get tired, but I am constantly waking up in the middle of the night.

I have the same issues as Ibobland, sometimes I wake up a lot at night, but I do get super tired from it all.Maybe try adding leucine with you first meal and after you last for a stronger insulin release?

Richard Schmitt

Yep happens to me as well, sometimes I get up go get a drink of water and then just lay there in the dark. I know I'll pass out eventually. Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

AdamFiddler

After reading all of the responses, I'm going to actually send Kiefer a PM about this since it seems to be such a common problem apparently. Maybe he can come in and talk about some things to mitigate this, as I'm guessing it's something he's encountered before.-Adam

Cropsy

Same here. I end up staring at the ceiling in the dark with my heart sort of going berserk on me. It's like my body is going, What the f**k happened?!

dmmethod

I am the complete opposite. I sleep like the dead. It's actually the best sleep I get all week. After doing this for a while I've noticed a pattern. I get less sleep each night after my CarbNite and the farther I get into ketosis I am wide effing awake. I always know when I'm really into it because I wake up at night and can't stop moving, can't get comfortable and it drives me batshit. CarbNite is Sunday, starting Thursday night my sleep gets all wonky.

AdamFiddler

Do any of you guys own a ZEO?  I ask because according to the ZEO, I actually get way less deep sleep on Carb Nites than normal and especially after normal backloading. 

I do have a zeo and I averaged getting more deep sleep when backloading.Sometimes I would just have a crappy night, but I couldn't narrow don't what factors might have caused it.

I am, usually, pretty tired, and get to sleep quick.  However, the night sweats (some CNs worse than others), combined with the psychotic dreams, really don't help me stay asleep.  I guess inconsistent sleep (or shallow sleep) is the best way to describe a CN.This is why I run them on Saturdays, so my work week is unaffected.  I learned a lesson running them a couple Sundays, in the beginning (incl. one Sunday before starting a new job).Other nights, on Fat / Protein days, I sleep DEAD to the world, unless I am expelling water like a race horse.Cory

AdamFiddler

Lol I have to say this is kind of amazing.  The forum is filled with all kinds of minutiae like “can I have strawberries on fat/protein day” (no offense to whoever wrote that) but nobody here is able to sleep well when following these protocols and this is first people are saying about it?  I mean this seems like a pretty crucial issue to be addressed with these programs, don't you guys think? 

zewski

Yea I have the worst sleep all week on my carb nites, and actually sleep like a rock during the week  :-Different strokes for different folks?More likely it's the fact that I normally don't limit fat by the end of the night and my inuslin is high for much longer than I realize. I think I need to focus on making the end of my Carb Nites more carb-focused and low-fat so my insulin will drop and allow me to sleep.

Richard Schmitt

I posted a question regarding sleep issues for the next podcast y'all.

Newfiedan
    Participant

I had trouble sleeping when doing carb nites and when I first started backloading but I got used to it after a while and resumed regular sleep. I used to get stupid energetic and the brain would not shut down on carb nites despite being tired as hell my brain was just super active and hard to shut down. Night sweats certainly did not help matters lol.

Karin O’Sullivan
    Participant

Was having the same issue of not sleeping well and just being too full when I went to bed….so I now start my carb nite at 2:30 in the afternoon and shut it down at 8:30 pm. I usually crash 11:00 ish and sleep like a rock. I do this on Saturdays and it has seemed to work really well for me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Can’t Sleep During Carb Nites

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?