Carb Back Loading While Playing Lacrosse

• This topic has 4 voices and 8 replies.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Laxer
    Keymaster

Question for Naomi--    You might remember I asked about CBL Strength Accumulation before, but I was a little vague and didn't give enough detail...      I am 6', 192lbs and about 16-17% body fat and play college lacrosse. My weight has never really been a problem (I play defense=better to be bigger), but it sure as hell couldn't hurt to be leaner and quicker while maintaining my size. And look better to boot.       I've cut calories in the past and I've definitely lost body fat, but as we all know, cutting calories and eating "healthy" sucks and the results are hard to maintain. Love handles can be quite stubborn. Not to mention I was weaker.      I bought the CBL book and from my brief experience with it so far, it's great for tightening up while lifting and eating carbs. But I would like to know how to go about Strength accumulation while playing lacrosse at top performance and keeping my energy up (if I can even use CBL). I would love some nutritional timing advice for the following:  Typical Day #1:      7am lift       2 or 4pm practice   Typical Day #2:      7am lift        6 0r 7pm practice     Typical day #3:         No lift         4pm or 6pm practice    I think I have a good enough understanding of Kiefers work to apply it to my rather chaotic and unpredictable schedule, but I could use a professional opinion from you Naomi.     Thanks so much.     ***And a very quick question. I read in CN that 6-8 hours of high insulin levels is necessary to spur Leptin levels and achieve the "fat burning afterglow" that kickstarts metabolism when leptin levels have dropped off. Kiefer says to eat carbs after the workouts and then until you go to bed for CBL. But many of the meal plans have carb feeding windows less than 6 hours. I know CBL works but I'm just curious about this part. Is it the increased frequency of carb meals that keeps metabolism going?

Naomi Most

Question for Naomi--    You might remember I asked about CBL Strength Accumulation before, but I was a little vague and didn't give enough detail...

Yes! Hello!

I am 6', 192lbs and about 16-17% body fat and play college lacrosse. My weight has never really been a problem (I play defense=better to be bigger), but it sure as hell couldn't hurt to be leaner and quicker while maintaining my size. And look better to boot.

If only more guys had your attitude.  🙂

I've cut calories in the past and I've definitely lost body fat, but as we all know, cutting calories and eating "healthy" sucks and the results are hard to maintain. Love handles can be quite stubborn. Not to mention I was weaker.

Cool.  Yeah it seems like everybody who ends up doing CBL has been through the ringer with some diet or another.

I bought the CBL book and from my brief experience with it so far, it's great for tightening up while lifting and eating carbs. But I would like to know how to go about Strength accumulation while playing lacrosse at top performance and keeping my energy up (if I can even use CBL). I would love some nutritional timing advice for the following:  Typical Day #1:      7am lift       2 or 4pm practice   Typical Day #2:      7am lift        6 0r 7pm practice     Typical day #3:         No lift         4pm or 6pm practice    I think I have a good enough understanding of Kiefers work to apply it to my rather chaotic and unpredictable schedule, but I could use a professional opinion from you Naomi.

This actually looks pretty good from a building-muscle perspective.  You're not lifting anytime around your practice (and thus getting the most growth from your lifting), and your lifting is in the morning which is great for hypertrophy.Now, I can't give you specific advice for your type of athletic activity (this is actually the subject of a CBL sub-product Kiefer's got in the works to come out later this year).  What I can tell you is that your lacrosse-playing probably counts as somewhere between HIIT and straight cardio, which puts it into the general "glycogen-depletion" category. This means your carb needs are a bit higher -- and what you MAY want to do is increase the # of carbs in your lifting PWO meal to make sure you minimize catabolism during lacrosse.That's my advice if you feel like your lean mass gains are stalling.  If you're growing just fine, then keep your PWO carbs the same.  As long as you're doing lacrosse in an ultra-low-carb state (i.e. no pre-lacrosse carbs), you should be conserving most muscle and simply burning off more fat.(And by the way, make sure you're eating lots of FAT before lacrosse!)The metric to manipulate is almost always your carb intake, which you should be shifting around as you observe your lean mass growth (take measurements!) and fat loss (take pictures!).

Thanks so much.     ***And a very quick question. I read in CN that 6-8 hours of high insulin levels is necessary to spur Leptin levels and achieve the "fat burning afterglow" that kickstarts metabolism when leptin levels have dropped off. Kiefer says to eat carbs after the workouts and then until you go to bed for CBL. But many of the meal plans have carb feeding windows less than 6 hours. I know CBL works but I'm just curious about this part. Is it the increased frequency of carb meals that keeps metabolism going?

That's a great question.  The answer is that since you are eating carbs far more often (i.e. fewer days between high-carb meals), you don't need a full 6 hours of high-glycemic eating to get the proper hormone reset.Could you potentially improve your results by doing the full 6 hours?  My guess is not -- particularly since you train in the morning and should be intaking high-glycemic carbs to potentiate your previous night's backload -- whose "afterglow" is completing the circuit, so to speak.And be careful with the use of the phrase "kickstart metabolism"... there's more than 1 metabolism.  Or, put another way, "metabolism" is sort of a meaningless catch-all word when you're eating a macro-split diet.

Laxer

Great. Thanks for all the tips. I can't wait for the next CBL installment. Last question though. 😉 I've been practicing this week carb free as you recommended and it feels really good. I know you said you can't give me the specific advice for what to consume before a practice but this weekend we have an extremely intense run test( a series of 300, 200, and 100 yard interval sprints, 1:2 work:rest ratio).   For something like this, where I need to be sprinting as fast as I can to make all of the designated times, do you think I could get away with drinking a gatorade(35g/bottle) before? What I am really asking is, cheating one time won't ruin the program for me right? Or maybe just a light backload the night before would top off glycogen enough for a 2pm run test? I'm still debating what to do...

Laxer

And sorry I don't mean to pester you Naomi…. you just give awesome advice.

Lasse Elsbak
    Participant

Carb loading the night before is better. Ingesting carbs right before exercise will make you hypo, especially when you're doing any kind of low carb diet.

Naomi Most

And sorry I don't mean to pester you Naomi.... you just give awesome advice.

Thanks!  I don't mind!  Sorry I've been relatively absent lately, I got sick and other junk happened. I'm trying to make up for lost time now!

Great. Thanks for all the tips. I can't wait for the next CBL installment. Last question though. 😉 I've been practicing this week carb free as you recommended and it feels really good. I know you said you can't give me the specific advice for what to consume before a practice but this weekend we have an extremely intense run test( a series of 300, 200, and 100 yard interval sprints, 1:2 work:rest ratio).   For something like this, where I need to be sprinting as fast as I can to make all of the designated times, do you think I could get away with drinking a gatorade(35g/bottle) before? What I am really asking is, cheating one time won't ruin the program for me right? Or maybe just a light backload the night before would top off glycogen enough for a 2pm run test? I'm still debating what to do...

Drauglir's answer is good: the back-load and then zero carbs before this kind of test would make the most sense.  You should try to do the test fasted (or as close as possible, given that it's at 2pm).  And don't forget the coffee. 🙂Sorry if this answer comes too late!  But at least Draugluir came to your rescue with a good answer.

Chase102798

Laxer, Very interested to hear how you make out with this. If you don't mind too much, keep me/us updated as to how things are going with lacrosse and workouts. Basically, how you are feeling during workouts and games etc. I play winter volleyball in evenings and I was curious about the same thing. You said you feel good during practice? What are you doing foodwise in the hour or two leading up to your practice? I am most interested in your evening practice since that is comparable for me but please share anything. What are you eating through the day on practice/lift days?

Laxer

No problem. My schedule has changed a little since I first posted but here is what my days typically look like. 630am--wake 730am-Practice1030am-- 1 AM Accelerator shake 2pm-- Lunch          Option 1- (3 eggs, 2 egg whites, 1 tbs butter), (4 strips bacon or 1 sausage), (benefiber in water)          Option 2- (1/2 lbs 95% lean ground beef or 1/2 steak),(2 cups broccoli or asparagus sautéed in 1tbs butter/olive oil),(benefiber in water)          Option 3- (3-4 Cups lettuce& Spinach), (2 chicken breasts or 1 can tuna), (2 oz feta or goat cheese)(1/4 cup almonds), (2 tbs olive oil & red wine vinegar)(benefiber in water) sometimes 1/2 bell pepper sliced 415pm-2-3 tbs peanut butter (2 net carbs per tbs) or 2oz cheese or 4oz deli meat 5pm- Ignition shake 530-630pm Lift- Lacrosse workout or extra shockwave workout without the team 7pm-Hypertrophic shake (35g Blend H, 3g Leucine, 30g maltodextrin) 8-10:30pm- 1 to 2 dinners- around 500-600 grams of carbs total, from... Chicken Stir-fry, Mashed Potatoes and steak, sushi, Pizza, Donuts, cookies, Frosted flakes, ice cream (600g carbs=overboard for me...)11:30pm BedI've been basically following that plan for the past 2 weeks. My strength gains have increased a ton and my weight has increased a little too. I guess I've really been doing Density Bulking with so many carbs because I pretty much look the same in the mirror, softer than where I hope to eventually be. The truth is I've been running around stuffing my face at every bakery in Philadelphia, and my original strength accumulation goals have been sidetracked in the process. I'm over the binges now though, and hopefully if I cut my PWO carbs in half the fat will begin to really fall off. I'll post my progress in another two weeks. To Chase102798,       I know our schedules are not really that similar anymore, but when we do practice at night as I specified in the earlier post, I pretty much follow the same schedule, but only backload 1/3 the carbs and only on nights before a morning lift. Otherwise, dinner would consist of another high fat meal before practice.  My energy levels were pretty good with this plan, although fatigue set in after more than about an hour of practice (I don't know how much that be contributed to my nutrition or to the level of intensity of practice). I'm still playing around with my macros here and there but I think this plan is a pretty good start. Best of luck. Let me know how things turnout for you.

Chase102798

Laxer, That has been my experience also. We play a 5 game set which is usually pretty intense. It lasts about an hour and a half to an hour and 45 minutes. About halfway through game 4 (usually the one hour mark) rapid fatigue sets in. I'm good until then. Not sure how to offset that. My weight workouts are 45-60 minutes and I feel great for that. My strength is better than it has ever been. I am shooting more for a density bulking right now too. Originally wanted the strength accumulation, but figured that can be closer to summer. Or maybe use CN for that. Reducing carbs further didn't seem appropriate till after my league is over. If anyone has any info to the contrary, please share. Your diet seems pretty similar to mine, but without the morning workout/practice. Let me know if something clicks for you with the one hour practice fatigue.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Carb Back Loading While Playing Lacrosse

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?