carb nite fats

• This topic has 10 voices and 36 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author

Adam Hays
    Participant

what was the type of fat that we should avoid on the night we eat carbs? I know to avoid olive oil on my carb nite, but was it that we should avoid all monounsaturated fats?  I can't find the darn page in the book, and I can't remember the fat the Kiefer said enters fat cells easily, but doesn't come out easily.  Thanks

Melvin McLain
    Participant

Page 47:"monounsaturated fat hides a dark secret:  a friendship with fat cells.  No other type of fat fills fat cells more easily.  And once inside, monounsaturated fat doesn’t come back out easily. Overeating monounsaturated fat, especially with carbs, can refill empty fat cells in a flash, rapidly accelerating body-fat gain."

Adam Hays
    Participant

love it!! Thanks dude

Melvin McLain
    Participant

No problemo.

Heisenberg
    Participant

Page 47:"monounsaturated fat hides a dark secret:  a friendship with fat cells.  No other type of fat fills fat cells more easily.  And once inside, monounsaturated fat doesn’t come back out easily. Overeating monounsaturated fat, especially with carbs, can refill empty fat cells in a flash, rapidly accelerating body-fat gain."

Wow thats news to me..I always thought nuts are good during ULC days, especially macadamia nuts.

Jenelle Brewer
    Participant

Shareef…  this discussion is about fat to avoid ON the actual carb nite.Macadamia nuts are great.

Heisenberg
    Participant

Shareef...  this discussion is about fat to avoid ON the actual carb nite.Macadamia nuts are great.

Thank god!!!  😀 😀 😀

cloudybrain
    Participant

I'd say macadamia nuts are great.. but don't go nuts over it..athlete.io/5266/why-vegetable-and-nut-oils-suck/Nuts contains a high amount of omega-6 which can lead to inflammation, and kiefer really doesn't recommend nuts with a high amount of this because it prevents fat loss. Nuts also has omega-9s, which is:"good in small quantities because it helps cell membranes to function more effectively"I still don't understand this fascination of replacing superior fats like animal fat, coconut oil, heavy cream... with nuts.. or cheeses. Why risk it? Because of the taste? Because it fills you up? because it's more available?

Jenelle Brewer
    Participant

cloudy, yep, plenty of reasons not to go overboard with nuts, seeds, and butters of these.  If anyone finds themselves fascinated with nuts... that calls for some re-evaluating.  😉Mark Sisson separates macadamia nuts from other nuts and seeds in his book, The Primal Blueprint.  He says, of all the nuts and seeds, they have the BEST ratio of omega-3 (what we need more of) to omega-6 (what we need less of).There are many charts available online for anyone who is interested in reducing their omega-6 intake.  The amount varies from nut to nut.  Macadamias, if you are going to eat nuts, are a great choice.

Heisenberg
    Participant

I'd say macadamia nuts are great.. but don't go nuts over it..athlete.io/5266/why-vegetable-and-nut-oils-suck/Nuts contains a high amount of omega-6 which can lead to inflammation, and kiefer really doesn't recommend nuts with a high amount of this because it prevents fat loss. Nuts also has omega-9s, which is:"good in small quantities because it helps cell membranes to function more effectively"I still don't understand this fascination of replacing superior fats like animal fat, coconut oil, heavy cream... with nuts.. or cheeses. Why risk it? Because of the taste? Because it fills you up? because it's more available?

For convenience, its easier to carry handful of nuts around than some animal fat haha  ;D

cloudybrain
    Participant

The goal is not to consume as much omega-3 as you can. The main reason why we have omega-3 is for the DHA and EHA content. Macedamia nuts are not a significant source of omega-3 (~.3%) thus the EHA and DHA content is quite low. To get the FULL benefit of DHA and EHA, you must consume the combination of DHA and EHA must be a combined total of 5g. You can reach this goal by taking a concentrate form of fish oil (not the pills). To eat the equivalence of 5g of EHA and DHA from macademia nuts you'd have to consume more than just handfuls.. which means you'll over eat in monounsaturated fats.If you want a significant source of omega-3, macademia nuts aren't that great compared to fish oil concentrate.If fish oil burps are a concern, I made a post to remedy it:http://athlete.io/forum/index.php?topic=19211.0What helped me out the most was freezing it instead of refridgerating it.

Eidah
    Participant

The goal is not to consume as much omega-3 as you can. The main reason why we have omega-3 is for the DHA and EHA content. Macedamia nuts are not a significant source of EHA or DHA as these nuts has a combined total of 300 mg. To get the FULL benefit of DHA and EHA, you consume a concentrate form of fish oil (not the pills), and the combination of DHA and EHA must be a combined total of 5g.If you want a significant source of omega-3, macademia nuts aren't that great compared to fish oil concentrate.If fish oil burps are a concern, I made a post to remedy it:http://athlete.io/forum/index.php?topic=19211.0What helped me out the most was freezing it instead of refridgerating it.

cloudybrain , is generic cod liver oil a good source of EHA and DHA ?

cloudybrain
    Participant

I edited my post above, I looked at the wrong source that macademia nuts are not 300mg of DHA and EHA.. it's actually less.And no, when I was looking for good sources of DHA and EHA, I did not find any cod liver oil to contain a significant source.. I mean it is.. but you'd have to consume way more than a couple tablespoons to get 5g.Kiefer recommend's Carlson's Finest fish oil because of the potency and because it has flavors the masks the fish oil taste. What I got was Ultimate Omega by Nordic Naturals. You can easily get 5gs by taking in a teaspoon and a half.

Jenelle Brewer
    Participant

Macadamias, if you are going to eat nuts, are a great choice.

This was my only point.I don't eat macadamia nuts with the goal of getting omega-3.

cloudybrain
    Participant

okay, I just wanna be sure that when they are reading what you said, that they aren't interpreting as macadamia nuts to be the primary superior source.In my opinion, good advice should be to provide recommendations and better alternatives so that they can try to do those instead.. while keeping in mind to say that macadamia nuts are okay as an inferior fat to have.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

carb nite fats

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?