Carb nite food questions: peanut butter, Nutella, brown rice

• This topic has 3 voices and 6 replies.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

lerouquin
    Keymaster

It's me again with more random questions. Before CNS, I was an everyday peanut butter/Nutella snacker. Are these permissible on CN only, say on a bagel? Also, I see a lot of people talking about white rice, but I prefer brown rice. Is there a downside to eating brown rice on CN instead of white rice?Details:Jif extra crunchy peanut butter: 6 usable carbs (http://www.jif.com/Products/Details?categoryId=64&productId=322)Nutella hazelnut spread: 21 usable carbs (http://www.nutellausa.com/nutrition-facts.htm)Thanks again for helping me out. Kevin

Lasse Elsbak
    Participant

All the fat in the peanut butter will blunt the insulin spike, so I wouldn't recommend it immediately PWO.The down side of brown rice is the lower GI. It means insulin stays elevated for a longer period of time. GH production (while you sleep) doesn't start until the insulin is cleared from your system, so you definitely don't want it elevated for hours after bed time.

lerouquin

Hmm… So is peanut butter OK on a non-CN day? I saw a recipe containing peanut butter on the recipes forum just now, but I don't see anything about it elsewhere on the boards or in the book. And based on what you're saying, would a serving of PB be okay later on the carb night, just not immediately PWO?Does anyone have a yea or nay on Nutella? I'm just trying to make sure to not undermine my carb night. Can you explain the brown rice point a little more? Is it a must-avoid food?  😮Thanks,Kevin

Laxer

Nutella is has a decent amount of sugar, but if you look closely it also has a ton of fat too. I wouldn't say eat a whole jar of the stuff but I think you'd be fine to indulge . I like to eat the moderate to higher fat stuff right in the middle of my carb loads. Based purely off my own rational, I think the slower digestion of fat helps prolong and even out the insulin response.

lerouquin

Thanks for the reply. I think spreading a little Nutella on a bagel on carb night won't kill me. I'm still a little unclear about peanut butter. Is it acceptable on non-CN (in moderation, of course) or should that also be relegated only to CN?

IOWA.PharmD

It is OK on CNS, just count the carbs accurately and don't go over <30 g/day (or 10/meal).

lerouquin

Many thanks! 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Carb nite food questions: peanut butter, Nutella, brown rice

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?