Carb Nite tuning

• This topic has 4 voices and 9 replies.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Jeremy Wade
    Participant

Does delaying my first meal benefit me on Carb Nite?Is there an optimal time to do HIIT? Perhaps during the first 2-3 hours prior to my first meal?Does an insulin spike from a whey/casien/leucine shake hurt on Carb nite?On fat/protein days I am getting about 130g of fat and about 250g of protien.  Is it possible to get too much protein and cause glucogenesis from protein, and will that hurt my progress?Would there be any muscular benefit to hitting a hard lift prior to my carb feed?  Perhaps a heavy leg day would be in order once a week in line with the carb feed?

mjnewland

I'm not keifer, but I would totally hit it big and hard less than 2 hours before the carb-nite.  at least that's my plan once I've earned a carb-nite.

Naomi Most

Yeah, definitely a benefit to hitting a hard workout not long before doing your carb binge.I once talked to Kiefer about a 2-hour workout involving an hour of rock climbing and then a high-volume deadlift-focused hour I spent right before doing my Carb Nite binge.  He described that as "well timed".

Richard Schmitt

So in order to really earn a Carb Nite, you have to workout for no more than two hours?

Naomi Most

“Earning” a carb nite is a matter of putting in the initial 9 days of >30g carbs/day.  You don't even need to work out while you're doing Carb Nite. You CAN, and sometimes it helps after you've done the Carb Nite to get in a little HIIT to use up glycogen and get into ketosis again faster.  But you don't have to, to make it work.

Damon Amato
    Participant

So if I read that right, is it disadvantageous to workout while doing carb nite?  If you do, then I assume you need to have some PWO carbs, but then that would more or less be considered CB correct?If my goal is to lose BF but stay strong, does it make more sense to do CN + no exercise, or CB with exercise?

Jeremy Wade
    Participant

@Dmunnee:  HIIT is advantageous while on Carb Nite.  I doubt you could ever justify completely quitting exercise anyway, but with HIIT, you are contributing to the reduction of fatty acid synthase, which is a core component to the effectiveness of Carb Nite.I have seen folks talk about lifting while on Carb Nite, but remember, your muscles do not have the full capacity to uptake nutrients needed to repair the cell damage done during a high-intensity lift, so be careful, listen to your body, and don't overtrain.I am sure some light-weight resistance training and flexibility training should always be a part of your life, just be careful.  Carb nite is not optimized for strength and mass gains, so don't lift like it is.

Damon Amato
    Participant

ok, so as I continue to refine my plan, it appears based on my #1 goal of fat loss, I should do CN + HIIT, correct? 

nz6stringaxe

This has gotten me a bit confused now. As I understand, Kiefer is a bodybuilder at heart. I noticed the Carb Nite Solution book was kinda “dumbed-down” to appeal to a greater audience, particularly of women. Granted, that population is larger than say, the EliteFTS-type, but is the approach ACTUALLY sub-optimal for that population??I lift 3-4 times a week at a high intensity. My volume is a bit lower due to the diet, and the only exercise that really feels "unsupported" as far as energy levels go is my deadlift. Everything else feels pretty good, relatively speaking.But, is serious lifting and training actually DETRIMENTAL to the success of this dietary approach?? In the past I've felt my ultra-low carb workouts were just garbage in comparison with ample carb workouts, but I wanted to give CNS another shot (before, I'd followed the Anabolic Diet) due to some modifications I thought were significantly different from my AD trials.On that same note, Kiefer's recent article has confused me as to the implementation of HIIT cardio in a diet plan such as CNS, but I've posted about that before and don't expect that part to be answered again here.EDIT: I just noticed this post from Naomi:

Yeah, as Jerad said, "Train like you're still trying to build muscle."  Just don't bank on getting the same strength and lean mass gains that you would while eating carbs.If you modify Carb Nite at all, you're either switching to Carb Back-Loading (as masZUL said) or you're just Doin It Wrong...You gotta get totally clear on your goals and then be okay with that. If you're into fat loss right now, just do fat loss. If you're into *some* fat loss and more lean mass gain, do Carb Back-Loading. If you want to just get crazy strong without any regard for how fat you get... you probably already know what to do.

nz6stringaxe

@Jeremy, please don't misconstrue, I'm merely playing devil's advocate:I've thought about the caloric deficit thing, but after a little while I saw no changes (negative changes actually occurred) so I began tracking my calories. I don't limit myself to 1500, 1800, or 2200, I go by hunger and make sure it's SOMEWHERE around a number I predict (based on past experience) will lean me out. Just a general goal for each nutrient individually. I was "going too easy" by playing everything naturally...and realized I needed to suffer a little bit. I should also mention I'm not starting "quite fat" but I'm always on the lean side because I keep it that way. I just want to experiment with optimal ways of getting into contest condition, true leanness at its utmost extreme!My point in saying all this is just to ask, how can you say the diet is one way or another when you personally feel you have implemented it (improperly) without success, and have not YET achieved that success with the new practices you're just implementing now (because they're new)?I just want to be fair.That said, I do wish I had Kiefer explain to me where I've gone wrong in the past and what I could expect to feel/see (and how to react) going along with his plan, but obviously we've all got busy lives and can't give give give to everyone!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Carb Nite tuning

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?