CarbNite vs. Carb cack-loading

• This topic has 9 voices and 18 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

T9P1
    Keymaster

hey guys,so the title pretty much sums it up: I kinda have to decide between CN and CBL.My story: I'm 20 years old and got back to training a couple of months ago. I had gained a little bit of weight before that, but now I'm back to 78kg (186cm). So I can see part of my upper abs, but there is still a fat layer above my lower abs. So I really want to get rid of the last fatty spots and define, but at the same time I'd like to be able to build up muscles (I know, its hard because of my kcal deficit, but should be possible right?!). I traing 4-5 times a weeks and also do 2 hiit trainings and play tennis.With my nutritition I'm really accurate, using a software to write everything down and for the last 2 weeks I used CBL (cardio/no trainig = low carb, weight training = high carb) and had a shortened prep phase (4 days) with training every day. Last weekend I was at my parent's home and had 2 weak days... kinda refeed style, but I couldnt train and ate carbs (at least on one day). so right now it's really hard to tell if I actually lose or gain weight around the belly and I really want to get lean to start building serious muscles!!So before buy either of the books, could you guys give me some thoughts on this one? thanks  🙂

Lasse Elsbak
    Participant

I would do CBL. More muscle = less BF %. 😉 Plus – I'm the same height as you, and when I was 78 i was skinny as a rail 😛 (not that I'm big now by any means)a couple of notes:  Neither CBL nor CNS are low calorie diets. Don't create a calorie deficit.                                  The eating protocol you described does not sound like CBL to me, more like carb cycling.

sckiely
    Participant

It Depends on how fast you want something. If you feel you need to drop fat quickly then do Carb Nite. If you are happier to drop fat slower and build muscle fast then do CBL. Simple  ;D

T9P1

I would do CBL. More muscle = less BF %. 😉 Plus - I'm the same height as you, and when I was 78 i was skinny as a rail 😛 (not that I'm big now by any means)a couple of notes:  Neither CBL nor CNS are low calorie diets. Don't create a calorie deficit.                                  The eating protocol you described does not sound like CBL to me, more like carb cycling.

I'm definately not skinny but also not huge. I just bought CBL now. I thought I could get away with just knowing the basics but now it seems like I should really dive in to the whole subject and read the book to know whats really going on.

It Depends on how fast you want something. If you feel you need to drop fat quickly then do Carb Nite. If you are happier to drop fat slower and build muscle fast then do CBL. Simple  ;D

Simple you say 😀 I want to drop fat fast but still want some progression in muscle building.Its really just that one layer at my belly that bothering (maybe a liiitle on my arms too). If CBL is sufficient enough for that kind of fat removal (kinda defining) and is far superior in buidling muscles than CN than I'd try CBL. Any thoughts? 🙂

Kaprice

To me, the other factor (a BIG factor) in the choice is the difficulty level.Carb Nite has you going low carb for days with 1 carb night (a week?). Whereas CBL has you eating carbs every night.CN would, for me, require constant will power, whereas CBL is natural and easy for me. I never ever feel like I'm dieting or depriving myself on CBL.(Note: I've just begun, so I can't speak to it's effectiveness.)

T9P1

To me, the other factor (a BIG factor) in the choice is the difficulty level.Carb Nite has you going low carb for days with 1 carb night (a week?). Whereas CBL has you eating carbs every night.CN would, for me, require constant will power, whereas CBL is natural and easy for me. I never ever feel like I'm dieting or depriving myself on CBL.(Note: I've just begun, so I can't speak to it's effectiveness.)

Afaik you can adjust your carb intake for CBL depending on your goal. If I want to primarily lose bodyfat, I just consume carbs after training sessions and on all the other days I stay low carb. But you're right, this comes much more natural and the dropout rate might be lower.I'm half way through the CBL ebook and at one point kiefer started talking about Leucin being helpful, because it raises insulin without needing a raised blood sugar level. I actually do understand the purpose of insulin but why exactly do we have to raise the insulin level after training? The resistance training already opened up the muscle cells (translocating the tGLUTs) and any additional insulin would just open up the fat cells and actually destroy the idea of CBL... what part am I overlooking???

Chuck

Try the ten day prep phase with CBL/ AND CN in mind. Then decide what you would like to do, either protocol is good just depends on your timeline. Some members have been going rogue and doing 3 weeks CBL 1 week CN or vise-versa. Glad to have you in the forums.

Kaprice

why exactly do we have to raise the insulin level after training? The resistance training already opened up the muscle cells (translocating the tGLUTs) and any additional insulin would just open up the fat cells and actually destroy the idea of CBL... what part am I overlooking???

As I understand it, insulin normally causes both muscle and fat to grow. But, during the couple of hours after an intense resistance workout, your body can't store fat.So, an increase in insulin after a workout will grow muscle but not fat.

zewski

Personally I find CNS a way easier diet, just eat meat and cheese all weak and then go nuts one night out of the weak.It's stupid simple. The first week may suck (if you're new to low-carb), but after that you really get in the swing of things.

Kaprice

Interesting. I'm surprised. I tried that style of eating for 8 weeks last year and pretty much hated it.

T9P1

can anyone tell, from experience, how much faster one can shed bodyfat using CN compared with CBL?

Richard Schmitt

can anyone tell, from experience, how much faster one can shed bodyfat using CN compared with CBL?

That one depends, if you're say greater than or equal to 20% BF well being on CNS you're going to drop fat fairly quickly. While doing CBL you can lose BF but can be at a slower rate than CNS just because you are taking in more carbs after training and holding more water though you'll build muscle with CBL making your BF lower. Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

T9P1

I dont know my BF in % …  bought one of those calipers and with the measurments I'm supposed to have 8% BF. But thats total bullshit! So I'm guessing my BF at around 15% but I have no clue how close this is to reality…I really cant decide which plan to do 😀 I'm leaning a little bit more towards CBL because it still helps me building muscles and also I almost finished the book today. Might consider doing the prep phase now and maybe then I have more clue how to conitnue....

mercurynrw

I found the fat loss on CNS to be faster than CBL.  I did CNS from April 1 through May 28, dropping from 226 to 202 with minimal signs of muscle loss.  My abs were visible for the first time in a while.  I went back to CBL, because my workouts had become very lethargic and I wanted to change it up, hoping to get a bit of a metabolic boost to zap the last bit of lower abdominal pudge.  After about a week of CBL, I'm back up to 214; I realize much of this is water weight, as once carbs are introduced again water retention increases.  Density bulking is the CBL protocol I am following.  I feel more bloated consistently around the midsection, but my workouts are back to max intensity and I need to put more muscle on.  My abs are now less visible, so I'm looking at having some no carb weeks thrown in every 2 or 3 weeks of CBL.  Don't know if that'll do any good, but worth a shot.  It boils down to what you desire.  If maximum fat loss is it, then do CNS.  If muscle gain with a slower but steady drop in body fat is it, then go with CBL.

samorost

78kg (186cm)

You won´t die with that little fat you bear, gain muscles with CBL I say!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CarbNite vs. Carb cack-loading

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?