Cardio with Lifting

• This topic has 4 voices and 6 replies.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

amedio
    Keymaster

I am curious to wether or not it is wise to do cardio during the same trip to the gym when I lift weights? I see many people do cardio before and/or after lifting weights. I have read that one should do cardio in the AM and lifting in the PM.Feedback would be great on this subject due to the fact that I am only able to go to the gym in the early morning now.

stephenhdmrs

I think it's going to be a “it depends on you.”  I personally can't do both very well in one session and would not want to half ass either.  I separate cardio to “off days.”  That's me though and my schedule works for that.  Try doing both and see how it goes?  If you don't feel you can give 100% see what is more important to you?

sckiely
    Participant

Do the training when it best suits you, I prefer HIIT after my weights, in the same format as the workout. For example on lower body days i will do sled drags and pushes and Kettlebell swings, on Upper body days i usually do a circuit type session with Bodyweight upper body movements.I find this way you add volume to the body parts being trained without HIGH load. I have also found that this method actually decreases DoMS in myself and "Many" of my clients. Note some of my clients actually get much more sore, so we change the format.What is important is the strength/ weight training gets done, fit anything else in wherever you want so that it doesn't take away from the other stuff

amedio

I just feel like a candy-ass when I go into the gym and ONLY do cardio. I look a few feet away from me and there be all those glorious free weights and cables and kettle bells OH MY! Do any of you members do cardio on different days as lifting?

sckiely
    Participant

I just feel like a candy-ass when I go into the gym and ONLY do cardio. I look a few feet away from me and there be all those glorious free weights and cables and kettle bells OH MY! Do any of you members do cardio on different days as lifting?

Why go to the gym to do cardio unless you plan to use the weights. I do hill sprints, track sprints, or mountain runs IF i want to run. The mountain runs are just a form of meditation, i don't consider them WORK, i jog till i'm tired, rest and drink then cos i'm in the middle of the bush i may as well jog back.Honestly though i do not consider steady state aerobic exercise an "effective" cardio session. For me Cardio is training the heart muscle Hard like i train my other muscles. So i will use weight circuits, KB ballistics, Bodyweight intervals or HIIT  or any mixture of these together. I will usually set my Gym session up like this-10 mins mobility drills40mins max- Heavy weight training15-20mins High Intensity Heart Training As a note here, i only run once a week, mainly whilst my kids ride their bikes and only cos i hate bikes more than running. I very rarely feel out of breath and i think the longest i have run with them is 15km non stop. So without training to run i can still comfortably do it when the need arises.

CaseyD

I like doing some fasted “cardio” on my off days. Usually some HIIT – big fan of Tabata. If I really feel like I need some cardio on a lifting day, I'll try to still do it in the morning, fasted. My last choice, but still pretty effective, would be after my lifting session.

AdamFiddler

Well you could also do both at the same time….http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/20_Rep_Squats'Ball Busters', Widow-Makers, Man Breakers. These are words used to describe the 20 rep squat. But back in the golden age of bodybuilding, before expensive supplements and better living through chemistry, this is how the old school weight lifters got BIG. If you can suffer though the 6 weeks that it takes to get through this routine you will grow bigger legs and even bigger balls. Mark Rippetoe says, "Trust me, if you do an honest 20 rep program, at some point Jesus will talk to you. On the last day of the program, he asked if he could work in."--Written by Mark Rippetoe

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Cardio with Lifting

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?