Casein Hydrolysate No Good?

• This topic has 1 voice and 2 replies.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

nz6stringaxe
    Keymaster

From – http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/casein-hydrolysate-and-anabolic-hormones-and-growth-research-review.html

Lyle MacDonald wrote:
    Here’s what the study found.  Over the time course studied (8 hours after ingestion), the hydrolyzed casein product showed greater losses from digestion (that is, less was absorbed).  As well, a greater amount of the hydrolysate was oxidized for energy through deamination (a process by which the amino group is stripped off the carbon backbone).  Finally, a larger amount of the casein hydrolysate was used by the splanchnic bed (gut and intestines) with significantly less of the total protein reaching the bloodstream or peripheral tissues (muscles).I read this and although my knowledge of the specifics are limited, I wondered if this was an isolated finding. So many hydrolysate (for whey) products are emerging, but perhaps there is a limit to the efficacy of ultra-fast digesting proteins where they're just used for energy instead of the raw materials to provide AAs or stimulate protein synthesis. Maybe whey and casein hydrolysates share this characteristic. Ultimately, I don't know, and that's why I'm asking.If anyone (especially Kiefer) can comment on this, please do. I know Lyle and Kiefer go at it from time to time, but I hope an unbiased critique can emerge with the truth and support behind it.

nz6stringaxe

For those interested, in another post, Kiefer answered “Blade”:

kiefer wrote:
    To put a link to a Lyle McDonald article about anything automatically nullifies the argument, but Lyle's hatred of casein hydrolysate (CH) seems to be more personal and instigated by a disdain for BioTest rather than science because he continually picks studies in which CH is ingested alone, in which case studies show the spike in amino levels is too rapid and too short to sustain MPS, but not lean tissue synthesis. CH needs to be accompanied by other protein sources, hopefully a collection with differing absorption rates to sustain MPS. If I suggest CH or any hydrolysate by itself, it's to be sipped--so to speak--and is followed by a large bolus or boluses.And I agree that bolus protein ingestions are beneficial and have their place, hence the large amount of protein after training and through the evening meals.

ADTS

Lyle does have a notorious hate for T-Nation/Biotest's marketing. Can't say I blame him, but you can't let it direct the conclusions you draw from research.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Casein Hydrolysate No Good?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?