CBL for strength rather than mass.

• This topic has 4 voices and 11 replies.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

OsakaGymRat
    Keymaster

Hi all, as a newbie to CBL, I'm curious about how suitable it is for someone who's more interested in pure strength training as opposed to hypertrophy? While I'm no boxer that needs to stay under a specific weight, I'm quite comfortable with the lean mass I have and am therefore only looking to gain more strength while losing a bit of fat. I believe Kiefer briefly mentioned that this goal was possible with CBL, however I've struggled to find any details for how on this site. If someone could give me a brief run-down of how this might be achievable (alongside any success stories), I'd be most appreciative and more inclined to shell-out for the book. My apologies if this had cropped-up somewhere and I missed it.Cheers.

Richard Schmitt

I hope I can help you. Have you thought about utlizing Strength Accumulation? It helps shred fat while gaining muscle/strength. At least I have noticed since I have been doing SA and my numbers have increased. The site will give SOME information regarding that, BUT for full knowledge, buying the book is well worth it.

IOWA.PharmD

Well, to gain strength you'll have to eat more! Luckily there is a strategic way to do. As Tex said, SA seems to be what you're looking for. If you're worried about gaining weight, then gaining strength probably isn't for you. If you gain muscle/fat in the same proportion it is in your body right not (or even slightly more muscle) your BF% will stay the same (and even decrease if more muscle is gained).With that, welcome to the journey.

Naomi Most

Well, to gain strength you'll have to eat more! Luckily there is a strategic way to do. As Tex said, SA seems to be what you're looking for. If you're worried about gaining weight, then gaining strength probably isn't for you. If you gain muscle/fat in the same proportion it is in your body right not (or even slightly more muscle) your BF% will stay the same (and even decrease if more muscle is gained).With that, welcome to the journey.

You don't always have to eat more to gain strength, not unless you're already undereating.Women gain strength without gaining much mass at all...

OsakaGymRat

Thanks for the speedy advice, guys. I've started researching strength accumulation and will decide if that's my game. Perhaps I've had more than a few misconceptions about pure strength training. At present, I'm 25, male (I don't plan on this changing: ), 6'3", and 198 pounds with a BF% around 12ish. These are my 5RM's: Bench 5x247.5, Box Squat 5x308, and Deadlift 5x269.5. For a month I've been using 'The Texas Method' strength program as found on T-Nation and am greatly enjoying its balance, schedule, and intensity. I know that some hypertrophy will inevitably take place, but I can live with that within reason. http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_texas_method.In a nutshell, I don't want to weigh over 200 pounds. I just to be as strong and lean as possible at that weight and was wondering from a nutritional standpoint if CBL is suitable for this goal? If so, are there any differences form the methods described on this site with regards to the consumption of post-workout and evening carbs, insulin spiking, etc?Thanks again for your time and guidance.

Naomi Most

Thanks for the speedy advice, guys. I've started researching strength accumulation and will decide if that's my game. Perhaps I've had more than a few misconceptions about pure strength training.

Okonomiyaki makes very good back-loading food.Just sayin!  😀

At present, I'm 25, male (I don't plan on this changing: ), 6'3", and 198 pounds with a BF% around 12ish. These are my 5RM's: Bench 5x247.5, Box Squat 5x308, and Deadlift 5x269.5. For a month I've been using 'The Texas Method' strength program as found on T-Nation and am greatly enjoying its balance, schedule, and intensity. I know that some hypertrophy will inevitably take place, but I can live with that within reason. http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_texas_method.In a nutshell, I don't want to weigh over 200 pounds. I just to be as strong and lean as possible at that weight and was wondering from a nutritional standpoint if CBL is suitable for this goal? If so, are there any differences form the methods described on this site with regards to the consumption of post-workout and evening carbs, insulin spiking, etc?Thanks again for your time and guidance.

To be frank, the CBL book has all the specific answers you're looking for. But to address your immediate concerns: there is definitely a way to get stronger without putting on too much extra lean mass, and you can do it by playing with your macros while doing Strength Accumulation, as well as by strategically setting your workout time to the "ideal window" of 3-5pm to maximize strength signaling and minimize hypertrophy signaling (which is strongest in the morning).There aren't significant differences in format between someone who wants to bulk up and someone who just wants to get stronger without getting too much bigger.  The modifications are ones of scale and timing.We can't, of course, make any promises about your lean mass growth, because it's highly dependent on your genetics, growth hormone and testosterone levels, and things like that.  You're young and male, so you really can't expect to NOT grow some muscle on ANY given program.

OsakaGymRat

Coolio. Thanks for jumping on-board, Naomi. Alongside further research, I'll take all of the above in to consideration when deciding if CBL is right for me. Cheers all.

Polk17

Strength and size aren't the same thing, for a complete novice they are but not for everyone. I have seen ppl lose weight and gain strength, the only real time size helps strength for a person who has been at it for a while is the leverage side of things, you get bigger and have more leverage, so you are not really “stronger” per se, but you can lift more because of a more advantageous ROM.With all that being said, I have had significant strength gains using SA (in my first PL in October did 475/275/600=1350, and in May I feel I will go 525/310/630ish) and I have hovered around the same weight (started cut for comp @ 226, was up to @ 235 in early Jan, and @ 225 now), I am a little softer than I'd like to be, but I have gone nuts with my meals, so I am trying to iron all that out.All that being said, just make sure you document how you feel with what you have eaten preWO and eat until you are hungry pWO, make sure to follow your rulesI have done most of them.

Naomi Most

Well, let's not lose sight of the fact that when you have two equally-muscle-dense, equally-trained body-parts from two different people side by side, the larger muscle is the stronger muscle.  Size definitely translates into strength.So there is some upper limit for how much strength you can gain when you're trying to limit hypertrophy.  But most people have lots of room for improvement when it comes to increasing the strength of their existing muscle.At some point (which no one can dictate to you), you'll have to start adding lean mass to gain in strength, period.  The reason why men and women have such different strength potential has nothing to do with the quality of muscle fibers, merely to do with the size potential of those muscles.

Polk17

Well, let's not lose sight of the fact that when you have two equally-muscle-dense, equally-trained body-parts from two different people side by side, the larger muscle is the stronger muscle.  Size definitely translates into strength.So there is some upper limit for how much strength you can gain when you're trying to limit hypertrophy.  But most people have lots of room for improvement when it comes to increasing the strength of their existing muscle.At some point (which no one can dictate to you), you'll have to start adding lean mass to gain in strength, period.  The reason why men and women have such different strength potential has nothing to do with the quality of muscle fibers, merely to do with the size potential of those muscles.

I guess we are looking at it from two different angles, I am talking strictly about powerlifting.

Naomi Most

I guess we are looking at it from two different angles, I am talking strictly about powerlifting.

We're not in disagreement.  We're just talking from two different perspectives, as you pointed out -- with you starting from a perspective of looking at already having a LOT of lean mass and looking to get stronger within that frame.  When you don't have much more muscle to "put on", yes, you can still get much stronger without getting much bigger.But when a guy is starting from close to average, there's probably no way to avoid some increase in size when doing any program designed to increase strength.  Not unless the guy is like 60 years old.Perfect experiment:  take a man and a woman, relatively young (say 30 years old) of equal height and bodyfat %, little to no training at that point. Put them on a program of powerlifting designed to minimize hypertrophy and maximize strength.All of my money would be on the guy being unable to avoid getting a bit bigger, if not a lot bigger.  And all of my money would also be on the woman reaching strength plateaus earlier than the man, due to a female's naturally slower lean mass building capacity, limiting her cross-sectional muscle size.  There's only so much strength you can sneak into a smaller muscle, beyond which point, if you are training for strength, the muscles will have to get bigger to get stronger.  Or... you just won't get stronger.

Who_killed_it

I gained very little size while increasing strength until i started messing around with CBL then i moved through 2 weights classes up to the 94's. I was on the verge of being an 85 anyway but it really shot up with CBL. You don't need to gain weight to get stronger but i'd agree with Naomi that theirs a point where you'll need to gain weight to get stronger unless you taking some extra ''supplements''

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CBL for strength rather than mass.

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?