Celiac & Lactose Intolerant on Carb-Nite

• This topic has 5 voices and 6 replies.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

acarnovale
    Keymaster

Hi Everyone,I'm going to buy the book this week but was looking to get a bit of a head start. I believe I understand the basics of Carb Nite, which are:-under 30g of carbs for 10-day orientation phase-Carb Nite on the 10th day-under 30g of carbs for the next 4-5 days with a Carb Nite-concentrate on 50:50 protein to fat ratio and also get a lot of fiber from low/zero carb veggiesI have two main questions:1. What are some lactose-free fat sources that you all can reccomend? I was thinking of stuff like avocados, nuts, oils (coconut and EVOO mainly).2. How bad are fruits (low carb/ high fiber) on Carb Nite? She tends to eat a shake right now in the morning so if I can keep it in and still have her be compliant that would be great.Thanks in advance for the help!Will update after I've read the book.

IOWA.PharmD

I know unsweetened almond milk is lactose free!

zewski

lactose free fat sources:sharp cheddar cheese (look at the label for it to say lactose-free)buttercream (again look at label)coconut oilavocados are great as you mentionedolivesbacon  ;Dolive oilMacadamia nutsPecans Other than those two stay away from other nuts, they are pretty high in carbs and omega-6 fats (pro-inflammatory)Also fruit is pretty much useless on this diet. Too many carbs for low-days, and you want to avoid fructose on Carb nites since they do nothing to cause the beneficial hormone effects. Also for you 30g carb total you don't count fiber.

Lasse Elsbak
    Participant

I'm lactose intolerant, and very much so. Most butter and cream does contain lactose, just not large amounts. <1-2g lactose per 100g, which is a normal amount in butter and heavy whipping cream etc here in Norway, could be enough to upset my stomach for days. Lactose free dairy products need to have gone through a process with lactase, or needs to still contain lactase for me to able to eat them. Luckily you can find products like that in the shops here! 🙂The rest of zewskis list is great for me though! I ate a lot of bacon, macadamias and coconut oil when I was doing CNS.Also +1 on the fruit being kinda useless. :S

Monica

If you like the taste of butter but can't handle the lactose then try ghee AKA clarified butter.  There are lots of youTube videos on how to make it, but it is not so hard and after you turn the butter into ghee is lasts for a long time and you do not have to refridgerate it.  If you can use grass fed butter like Kerry Gold it will be even better because it has lots of vitamin K.  Other fat sources are lard or tallow from a good farmer and bacon fat.

acarnovale

Thanks for the responses everyone!My girlfriend just started Carb Nite yesterday and the list of foods you gave us really helped.I'll try and keep you posted on her progress.

If you like the taste of butter but can't handle the lactose then try ghee AKA clarified butter.  There are lots of youTube videos on how to make it, but it is not so hard and after you turn the butter into ghee is lasts for a long time and you do not have to refridgerate it.  If you can use grass fed butter like Kerry Gold it will be even better because it has lots of vitamin K.  Other fat sources are lard or tallow from a good farmer and bacon fat.

I could eat a whole damn jar of Ghee if someone left me to my own devices. Stuff is damn good.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Celiac & Lactose Intolerant on Carb-Nite

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?