Changing to CBL from SCD

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Miki Mayer
    Participant

Hi all,

I’m new to this forum, so apologies if my questions here have been answered before.

I’ve been on a slow-Carb-Diet (SCD) for the last 5 years. Essentially, the SCD has simple rules:
    No white or can be white carbs (bread, pasta, potatoes, corn, rice, etc), eat the same few meals over and over again (legumes, meat/chicken/fish/pork/eggs, vegetables), No drinking calories, no fruit or dairy, BUT one day a week (usually Saturday) you get to splurge and eat whatever you want. This prevents cheating during the week by pre-scheduling the cheat day, but also prevents Thyroid deregulation among other things.

This is working great, and I don’t find it hard at all to maintain, however, I do like carbs (whoever says they don’t is a liar), and would like to experiment with CBL in order to put on a bit of weight (muscle), as I am a martial art competitor and rather than go down a division, would like to be stronger in my current division. I normally weigh 191-194 lbs (87-88Kg), however on competition day I normally weigh-in around 187-189 lbs (85-86Kg) without even trying to lose weight. The weight division is 90Kg (198.4 lbs), so I’ll like to get to about 202 lbs and cut 4 lbs down for a competition, and be strong.

So, for the questions:
    1. The preparation period – can I skip this as I am currently not consuming usable carbs for 6 days a week, every week for the last 5 years? The only carbs come in a form of fiber from vegetables and legumes.
    2. What kind of resistance training are we talking about? the Colorado Experiment type (1 set to failure, 5/5 cadence, twice a week), or Arnold’s blueprint? what’s the recommended protocol for CBL? and frequency of training?

Thanks!

Makoto Tomizawa
    Participant

1) You can choose to do the prep or skip it. However, legumes are starchy carbs, so you’d be considered having been eating carbs every day. If you want to stick to the protocol strictly, then I would suggest doing the prep phase. At the same time, you’re trying to gain mass, so again, do it if you want or skip it if you want.

2) Any program that involves heavy weight lifting. I think 3-4, maybe pushing it to 5 sessions a week is usually where most people end up. Adjust your diet to how demanding your training is.

Just curious, but what martial arts do you compete in?

Training Log: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vuwHRdBaPVILxxLhXly_N1Ys66Hcwk4j-bM7nvKSLrI/edit?usp=sharing

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

For training program, High Volume programs work the best with CBL. A “one set to failure” type program likely won’t work well unless it also contains a lot of volume, but programs like that typically do not. Usually traditional bodybuilding programs or strength training (if they have enough assistance work) are the best.

Miki Mayer
    Participant

MT – Thanks, I compete in Judo.

ibobland08 – Thanks, but how would you measure a high volume program? perceived exertion? number of sets and reps?

Thank you both your help, I really appreciate it.

Makoto Tomizawa
    Participant

MT – Thanks, I compete in Judo.

ibobland08 – Thanks, but how would you measure a high volume program? perceived exertion? number of sets and reps?

Nice. I’m not super competitive, but I’ve been doing Karate (Kyokushin) for about 12 years.

To add onto the question regarding volume, I’m still confused whether “volume” should be defined as sets x reps, or the total tonnage being lifted, regardless of the rep schemes.

Training Log: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vuwHRdBaPVILxxLhXly_N1Ys66Hcwk4j-bM7nvKSLrI/edit?usp=sharing

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

The true definition of volume is the amount of mechanical work you are doing. The problem is it is very difficult to measure this unless you have lab equipment.

I’ve tried to a couple different methods to quantify it based on reps, weight, ect., but it is way to difficult to compare different exercises. Tonnage works well when you are comparing the same exercises, but it just doesn’t work when you compare different exercises.

The best way I found is a combination of the RPE of the total workout and the length of the workout. It is bit qualitative, but I think that is the best you can do.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Changing to CBL from SCD

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?