chest work out w/o flat bench and w/o dips

• This topic has 5 voices and 11 replies.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

s2brhall

I can't do flat bench or dips due to a torn labrum.  Basically its not fixable.  How can I build a good chest routine with/out flat bench and dips.  I can do incline dumbell press and cable flys with out pain.  I can also do squeeze chest press on a flat bench if keep my elbows in.  I haven't tried using a barbell in a while, the last time I did the hand position agrivated my shoulder. >:(  I have mainly been using dumbells in the 45 to 55 lb range and focussing on finding a pian free ROM.  Thanks for the help!

I think you got it. What you have plus Floor press should be all you need.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I would do floor presses and flies (incline flyes are fine).  That should be good for you.

Mag
    Participant

I don't have a torn anything and gave up the barbell bench press long ago.My elbows and shoulder joints and wrists thanked me.Believe it or not,my back and spine felt so much better also.It's funny that heavy squats and deadlifts don't bother me half as much.I do dumbell work for chest and it feels much more natural and can isolate chest so much better.Incline flyes especially.Just go with a groove that feels right,don't go with an unnatural width or form that feels strange.Dips also kill me,not muscles,but in the joints.The gym is for training muscle not screwing up joints.Sometime I'll superset flyes with pushups done with a fist to girlie pushups,done with a fist to failure...killer

s2brhall

Thanks for the replies.  How would floor presses be different then flat bench press?  It seems like it is still the same basic mechanics aside from the strech at the bottom position of a flat bench press.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Thanks for the replies.  How would floor presses be different then flat bench press?  It seems like it is still the same basic mechanics aside from the strech at the bottom position of a flat bench press.

The stretch at the bottom is what makes the bench press hard on your shoulders.  The floor press eliminates that.  It is mostly a tricep exercise.  I suggested the floor press as an upper body strength exercise.  You know something you can go heavy on to build upper body strength.If you don't really care about strength and are completely focused on building muscle, you can just stick with flies and dumbbell work.

s2brhall

My workouts are really more strength focused then mass building, thought that is changing due to my injuries. I am still running 5/3/1 as much as I can with my torn labrum. Would you recommend floor presses with dumbbells or a smith machine?  Eventually I will try to work up to a barbell in a rack for floor press. Unfortunately the hand position with a barbell aggravates my shoulder so I have to work into it cautiously. Thanks!

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

My workouts are really more strength focused then mass building, thought that is changing due to my injuries. I am still running 5/3/1 as much as I can with my torn labrum. Would you recommend floor presses with dumbbells or a smith machine?  Eventually I will try to work up to a barbell in a rack for floor press. Unfortunately the hand position with a barbell aggravates my shoulder so I have to work into it cautiously. Thanks!

Do you have access to special barbells?  A swiss bar or a football bar might help.  You could even try using an EZ bar.

Mag
    Participant

Dude,just be careful with the shoulder. You have to be patient with them.I have seen people take 2 or 3 Years to get past a surgery.Just take it slow and don't have any setbacks.

s2brhall

Yeah, take it sloooow.  But there is no healing.  I have a torn labrum at the 9 o'clock position.  It's not going to heal on its own and surgury is not an option unfortunately.  I have to build up all of the muscles around the labrum and teach myself to stabalize my shoulder in such a way to prevent the top of the humerus from pressing into the tear.  Basically no more heavy pressing for me!  I am working my upto a 135 lb incline press but no flat benching.  I was benching 270 when I tore it.I train at an Air Force gym so specialty bars are hard to come by.  That's why I have been doing chest squeeze presses, the nuetral grip kind of emulates the football bar.  At least I can pull no problem!On other side affect is that I cant work my right side as hard as my left side is much bigger.  I haven't found a good way to deal with this yet.

TCB
    Participant

I train at an Air Force gym so specialty bars are hard to come by.  That's why I have been doing chest squeeze presses, the nuetral grip kind of emulates the football bar.  At least I can pull no problem!

An option, although a little pricey and I dunno if there's military red tape with it, but you could buy your own specialty bar and just keep it at the gym for all to use.. Just a thought.

s2brhall

There is always red tape!  It seams that I spend most of my days trying to cut through gov't red tape.  In the old days the Air Force gym was pretty loose here.  I used to keep a 700 lb tractor tire behind the gym for flipping, hammering, etc.  Times have changed and so have the personel running the gym.  I can't supperset chest and back anymore since I have to go to entire seperate room to use the deadlift platform to do bent barbell rows.  I can't use barebell on the floor.  Its rediculous.  Its making me consider actually paying for a gym membership somewhere in Albuquerque.  But I don't know where I am going to find a comercial gym that will let me lift heavy, use chalk, deadlift and breath heavy all at the same time!  😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

chest work out w/o flat bench and w/o dips

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?