Cholesterol

• This topic has 3 voices and 6 replies.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Cropsy

So, I've been doing the ol' CBL with weight training since July and just got my bloods done. Turns out my protein levels are above normal and so is my cholesterol, which has shot up to 8 (it was 5 last time I had it done, which would have been last spring I think)! Anyone else experience this? I'm guessing it has something to do with the food intake in that pre-training phase of the day…  😮

Lasse Elsbak
    Participant

5 and 8 doesn't really make sense to me.. whats your LDL? whats your HDL? what are your triglyceride levels?As long as you're staying away from fructose, your bad cholesterol will go down(LDL and VLDL), while good cholesterol should be going up (HDL). The connection saturated fat => bad cholesterol does not exist 🙂

Cropsy

Just had a proper look at the results… My total cholesterol was 8.2 (they list 0 - 5.0 as 'normal') and my Triglyceride was 0.7 (1.7 is their max for 'normal'). My HDL was 2.4 and LDL was 5.5.I have just read that it's the  HDL / total cholesterol ratio that's important and mine seems to be in line with that (0.29 with 0.24 or higher being ideal, apparently). Also, the Triglyceride to HDL ratio should, apparently, be less than 2 and mine, according to my numbers, is 0.29 or something.  I was just talking this over with my doctor and he agreed that these ratios were important but that he would still like to see the total down to 5. But maybe he's old school...  ???My blood glucose (which is what I was more concerned with after several months of backloading sugary carbs PWO three nights a week) was 3.9 ('normal' is listed less than 6.1), so that's all good.

Lasse Elsbak
    Participant

Now, I'm not a doctor, but 5.5 seems to be quite high actually. Are you ingesting a lot of fructose? Sucrose(what we usually call sugar) is 50%, HFCS is around 50%.I highly recommend that you watch Sugar the bitter truth on youtube 😀

Cropsy

No, actually, I'd say my fructose level has gone down since backloading (before I started backloading a typical PWO meal involved bagels, banana, strawberry jam etc, maybe chocolate milk, but since implementing backloading properly I have cut down on fruit and those kinds of sugars and taken Dextrose powder etc)…  ???The  only thing that has changed in my diet since implementing the backloading is heavy, heavy fats in first part of day; I've been eating pork chops, eggs, steak, butter, bacon, you name it (but not in unreasonable amounts).'Tis a mystery!Thanks anyway.

Cropsy

After examining my backloading carbs a little closer (store bought pastries and donuts etc) I think you're right; I have too much fructose I'd say. I'll reduce it and do another test in 6 weeks or so. Any recommendations for tasty carbs that aren't loaded with fructose? I suppose gluten free, fructose free baked goods would be ideal…Thanks for any help. This is a great forum.

filippelli74
    Participant

Cropsy, have you had your numbers checked again? Curious about how things have changed for you.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Cholesterol

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?