CNS + ultra distance running

Tagged: ,

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Robert Rounsavall
    Participant

I started CNS a few weeks back and ended up not doing a full 9 days, did 7 because of a 30 mile + 20 mile back to back trail run at day 5-6. I’ve been doing the weekly carb nite since and just did my carb nite last night (Wednesday). I know it talks about not doing excessive training in the book but I’ve got a 100K trail run this weekend Saturday, then after that no races on the schedule for a while. I’ll be fueling with mostly fat/protein during the race and some carbs but not a ton. I’m guessing Sunday I’ll be somewhat depleted and starving after the race as is typical. Is it any big deal to do a carb nite Sunday since there is a little 60 mile run on Saturday? Also any thoughts on some additional carbs the night before? It’s not the first one, have a few 100K’s under my belt as well as a bunch of 50 milers and 50K’s but I’m having trouble locating carb cycling/carb backloading/carb nite information for endurance athletes and there are some folks having success with low carb/ketogenic type diets. I’m sure some things in this post show my ignorance, but happy to have some feedback from anyone who will give it!

some dude

From page 120 of CNS 1.0

“But, in spite of anything else you
    might hear or read, whatever you do, try to avoid high intensity
    aerobic exercise—running, cycling, jogging, rowing—
    while on The Carb Nite Solution. These activities actually
    accelerate muscle loss and increase cortisol levels for several
    days, making it possible to grow new fat cells on Carb Nite. If
    you are performing high-intensity aerobics or are training for
    an endurance event, like a marathon, do not attempt to use The
    Carb Nite Solution unless you suspend or heavily moderate
    these activities for the duration of the diet.”

Robert Rounsavall
    Participant

I saw that section and tried to gloss over it and pretend it wasn’t there! I have been ramping down training/tapering and nothing too intense since starting on CNS a month ago for this race and then have a good bit of off time after it’s over. I needed to do something to drop some weight in the meantime also working on more burning fat as fuel/fat adaptation. Lots of endurance athletes are starting to do Low Carb/Healthy Fat/Keto type diets with quite a bit of success. I think I’ll do the race, give it a recovery week, then jump back on to CNS since I don’t have anything hard over the summer. Thanks for the point back!

Robert Rounsavall
    Participant

Well I had a great race this weekend, didn’t finish as fast as I wanted to but that’s due to not being trained enough. Fed myself low carb high fat on the run and felt good almost all the way through except for some fatigue from about mile 54-62. Took most of this week off and have no other races on the calendar for a long time. I’m getting hope about training while doing CNS from page 116 where it states that “After reorientation, high-intensity aerobic work should be saved for the two to three days after carb nite” Not doing anything crazy but can’t completely do nothing or I’ll go crazy.

I’d still love to find any references/resources around carb cycling/carb nite and endurance training.

Thanks,

Robert

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CNS + ultra distance running

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?