CNS versus low calorie diet questions

• This topic has 7 voices and 8 replies.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

vballstlgirl
    Keymaster

My main concern is weight loss (and of course I do want to have some muscle tone).  I am starting to question how you can lose weight in the most effective, healthy way.  I have seen some people lose 150 pounds following a low calorie diet with exercise.  So why did I stall out on it?  The answer may just be staring me in the face (i.e. everyone is different, hormones, etc. and what works for one may not work for me).  But I just keep hearing conflicting information, even on this site.  Fast, don't fast, avoid artificial sweetener, don't avoid it, you're exercising too much, not enough.  I am just not sure which way is correct.  How did you all sort through all the madness and hit on the right plan?  Or am I just making it too complicated and need to experiment with what I have heard and see what works?  Thanks!

Conrado Tiu
    Participant

My main concern is weight loss (and of course I do want to have some muscle tone).  I am starting to question how you can lose weight in the most effective, healthy way.  I have seen some people lose 150 pounds following a low calorie diet with exercise.  So why did I stall out on it?  The answer may just be staring me in the face (i.e. everyone is different, hormones, etc. and what works for one may not work for me).  But I just keep hearing conflicting information, even on this site.  Fast, don't fast, avoid artificial sweetener, don't avoid it, you're exercising too much, not enough.  I am just not sure which way is correct.  How did you all sort through all the madness and hit on the right plan?  Or am I just making it too complicated and need to experiment with what I have heard and see what works?  Thanks!

It would help a lot in answering your question if we could be more informed of your specific goals.  The conflicting info you get from this site are just people giving answers to differentiated goals and programs.  Not everyone here wants to "lose weight," speaking of which can you be more specific with that? What does "lose weight" mean?  Where are you coming from and where are you going and with what tools? Did you already read the book? What is not clear from the book?  So . . . your ball.

Jeremy Wade
    Participant

Lose Fat, Maintain Muscle.  The CNS book is exceptionally accurate and effective by itself, and you can use it exclusively to attain your goals.  I know from experience.The confusion comes when you want to fine-tune it...  On the forums here you will find a ton of new science being debated, mixed in with even more opinion and conjecture that ultimately results in mass confusion.I can't say for sure why you stalled out on a calorie restricted diet without knowing much more about you and your methods, but ultimately, we know that calorie restriction is not the most effective or healthy way to drop the fat.  (notice I say fat, not weight)The scale does not matter in as much as overall pounds are not a good indicator of progress.  If you have 70 pounds of fat that you still need to eliminate, only professional measurements will give you good progress indicators.  The scale will just sabotage you over and over.  (again, experience talking here)Anyway, if you want to drop the rest, CNS as laid out in the book is the way to go.  If you want to fine tune it, you're in for an adventure of pod-casts, forums, articles, and the daunting task of trying to separate the information for fat loss from the information for muscle gain.The best things I can say to add onto the CNS book would be to skip breakfast, walk alot, avoid steady-state cardio, lift weights if you so desire, try doing some Interval training(HIIT), and don't give up.  This method won't fail you.  Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about what has worked for me.

Conrado Tiu
    Participant

Lose Fat, Maintain Muscle.  The CNS book is exceptionally accurate and effective by itself, and you can use it exclusively to attain your goals.  I know from experience.The confusion comes when you want to fine-tune it...  On the forums here you will find a ton of new science being debated, mixed in with even more opinion and conjecture that ultimately results in mass confusion.I can't say for sure why you stalled out on a calorie restricted diet without knowing much more about you and your methods, but ultimately, we know that calorie restriction is not the most effective or healthy way to drop the fat.  (notice I say fat, not weight)The scale does not matter in as much as overall pounds are not a good indicator of progress.  If you have 70 pounds of fat that you still need to eliminate, only professional measurements will give you good progress indicators.  The scale will just sabotage you over and over.  (again, experience talking here)Anyway, if you want to drop the rest, CNS as laid out in the book is the way to go.  If you want to fine tune it, you're in for an adventure of pod-casts, forums, articles, and the daunting task of trying to separate the information for fat loss from the information for muscle gain.The best things I can say to add onto the CNS book would be to skip breakfast, walk alot, avoid steady-state cardio, lift weights if you so desire, try doing some Interval training(HIIT), and don't give up.  This method won't fail you.  Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about what has worked for me.

A much better response than mine!  🙂

sckiely
    Participant

The only thing I want to add here is that CNS was developed to work regardless of exercise. It is not “needed” to make CNS be effective!All the discussion at present on the forum is due to the fact that CBL "relies" on weight training to be effective. This means that some of the updated principles of CBL also apply to making CNS more effective. My suggestion is like already stated here, use CNS as described in the book to start with and as you make progress add a suggested "new" piece to it once you have got the basics under control!Don't let all the discussion get in the way of an already awesome program

Jeremy Wade
    Participant

Sckiely is dead on with the exercise statement.  My first round of CNS was completely devoid of exercise.  I misunderstood the book and ended up avoiding all exercise like the plague, but it still worked amazingly well for me.  Now I do it with HIIT and lifting on occasion with even better results.

I was also going to say... read the CNS book!!

Naomi Most

My main concern is weight loss (and of course I do want to have some muscle tone).  I am starting to question how you can lose weight in the most effective, healthy way.  I have seen some people lose 150 pounds following a low calorie diet with exercise.  So why did I stall out on it?  The answer may just be staring me in the face (i.e. everyone is different, hormones, etc. and what works for one may not work for me).

The individual differences that allow or disallow weight loss (of fat or muscle or both) in various people involves how they were fed as babies through age 5, their genetics, how many fat cells they have, and lots more.Many people do reach their goals through caloric restriction alone, and many more do not.The idea behind Kiefer's diets is to have systems that work for every human body on the planet by bypassing all of the variables mentioned above.In other words: if you are a human being, Carb Nite will work.

But I just keep hearing conflicting information, even on this site.  Fast, don't fast, avoid artificial sweetener, don't avoid it, you're exercising too much, not enough.  I am just not sure which way is correct.  How did you all sort through all the madness and hit on the right plan?  Or am I just making it too complicated and need to experiment with what I have heard and see what works?  Thanks!

The right plan is just to start with a system as written by one person -- NOT the whole peanut gallery -- and see how it goes for you.  When you run into problems, come back to the forums, read the FAQs for your system, and then post a question.  We'll be glad to help!With regards to "exercise" -- not all exercise is created equal, that's what you need to understand.  To boil it down for you:  when doing Carb Nite, resistance exercise (e.g. weight lifting) is always recommended, and high-intensity interval training (HIIT) is usually recommended within the first 2-3 days after a high carb day.  That's about it!

Damon Amato
    Participant

The individual differences that allow or disallow weight loss (of fat or muscle or both) in various people involves how they were fed as babies through age 5, their genetics, how many fat cells they have, and lots more.Would like to know more about this. Do you guys feel there is an optimal way or framework to feed children up to age 5 to give them the best chance to stay healthy later in life?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CNS versus low calorie diet questions

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?