Creatine dosage

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

physlift314
    Participant

I’ve been reading about the creatine dosage that Kiefer recommends in CBL. I believe the supraphysiological level that promotes anticatabolism is about 60g, but he recommends just taking 5g with every feeding. Typically for me, that ends up being 30g on off days spread out or 30g all at once PWO.

I’m curious to know is why you don’t just piss out the remaining creatine once you get to saturation levels?

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

The 60 g figure comes from the CBL book. Kiefer actually has a more recent recommendation outlined in the creatine series:

http://athlete.io/4117/the-ultimate-guide-to-creatine-supplementation-part-3/

Most people will have a recommended dosage between 20 and 30 grams.

physlift314
    Participant

Thanks for the link. I’ll read through the series again.

Let me be more clear in my question. From what I can gather and what people have told me is that there is a saturation level in your muscles for creatine (say it’s 7g). If one were to consume 20 – 30g of creatine, all but that 7g would be expelled out (through urine, I presume). So, you are wasting creatine and money by consuming more than the saturation level.

Do you really gain anything from above saturation level creatine intake or do you just piss out the creatine?

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Let me be more clear in my question. From what I can gather and what people have told me is that there is a saturation level in your muscles for creatine (say it’s 7g). If one were to consume 20 – 30g of creatine, all but that 7g would be expelled out (through urine, I presume). So, you are wasting creatine and money by consuming more than the saturation level.

Do you really gain anything from above saturation level creatine intake or do you just piss out the creatine?

Kiefer explains this in articles. Also I find Kiefer’s recommendations to work very well. I’ve been using creatine on and off for years I find that following Kiefer’s recommendations to be most effective. It’s a pain in the ass to taken all that creatine down every day, but I think it works very well.

physlift314
    Participant

Kiefer explains this in articles. Also I find Kiefer’s recommendations to work very well. I’ve been using creatine on and off for years I find that following Kiefer’s recommendations to be most effective. It’s a pain in the ass to taken all that creatine down every day, but I think it works very well.

Cool. I read through the article and I think I understand where he’s coming from. It seems like there is tension in a study that I remember reading, however. Kiefer states that you can take X amount of creatine a day to raise to levels above baseline you need 2g for maintenance plus 0.4g/LBM. In his example of a 200lb male at 10%bf, we get 27.3g. But if we take a look at this table (http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=5fevdc&s=3#.VuCNV_5lBzM) you can see that after ingesting 10g, you piss out about 2-3g of it (on average). I am trying to find this reference to post up here because I think this is very interesting. I’m not sure what what is meant by “baseline” in the table.

Anywho, just opening up this conversation because I think this is really interesting.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Creatine dosage

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?