Creative HIIT

• This topic has 6 voices and 11 replies.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

vandelay87

Alright gang, I like the sprints for HIIT but I need some ideas for changing it up occasionally, so everyone please share their favorite non-sprinting HIIT workouts….burpees, dumbbell work, KBs, whatever you got!  Also, I'd like to know the general principles for timing the intervals…for example if you're doing some dumbbell complexes, etc. “one minute on, 20 secs rest, etc” or whatever the correct protocol would be.  Thanks!

Richard Schmitt

KB Swings: x20-25 Swings then 30-45 second rest while doing Planks, 6-8 RoundsSwings to Snatches to Squats: x20-25 to x10 to x10 with 30-45 second rests, 5-6 Rounds

vandelay87

” swings to snatches to squats”…. Is that one combo exercise? how do you do those?Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Richard Schmitt

" swings to snatches to squats".... Is that one combo exercise? how do you do those?Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Yep pretty much a Giant Set. You do 20-25 Swings then on to 10 Snatches then on to 10 Squats I do these a after a CN and in the middle of the week I do the Swings

Big_R
    Participant

KB Swings: x20-25 Swings then 30-45 second rest while doing Planks, 6-8 RoundsSwings to Snatches to Squats: x20-25 to x10 to x10 with 30-45 second rests, 5-6 Rounds

"Swings to snatches to squats, off-the-wall, nothin but net!"    LOL

Alright gang, I like the sprints for HIIT but I need some ideas for changing it up occasionally, so everyone please share their favorite non-sprinting HIIT workouts....burpees, dumbbell work, KBs, whatever you got!  Also, I'd like to know the general principles for timing the intervals...for example if you're doing some dumbbell complexes, etc. "one minute on, 20 secs rest, etc" or whatever the correct protocol would be.  Thanks!

I tend to incorporate my Karate training into HIIT, sometimes.  Boxing & kickboxing combinations, as fast as possible w/o disrupting form, for 30 seconds.  Either against air, or sometimes against pads / heavy bag.  I will jog (sometimes in place) for the "rest" portion of ea. cycle.Great cardio workout, but also a way to work on technique, combinations and speed / power.SIDE NOTE:I love how martial arts and bodybuilding make my body LOOK both muscular, but VERY athletically conditioned.  Think martial artist / actor Michael Jai White versus someone like Greg Plitt.  Greg is muscular and proportioned, whereas Jai White is that + lethal looking.I know that isn't just my impression, b/c I am commonly asked by complete strangers:  "are you a martial artist?" or "are you a dancer?".  It must be in my walk / posture / confidence... not just my musculature (b/c I have muscular friends who are NOT asked those questions).Conclusion?  I recommend the martial arts to EVERYBODY.  ;DCory

Robert Gray
    Participant

I know that isn't just my impression, b/c I am commonly asked by complete strangers:  “are you a martial artist?” or “are you a dancer?”.  It must be in my walk / posture / confidence… not just my musculature (b/c I have muscular friends who are NOT asked those questions).

Speaking as someone who has photographed ballerinas, pop stars and broadway dancers, there is a clear difference between the gait of a serious dancer or martial artist and that of someone unused to moving their body with clear focus.  It shows up in freeze-frame as well it does the naked eye.  Shoulders back, weight on the balls of the feet instead of the heels--it's a beautiful thing.  +1 one for martial arts training.

I know that isn't just my impression, b/c I am commonly asked by complete strangers:  "are you a martial artist?" or "are you a dancer?".  It must be in my walk / posture / confidence... not just my musculature (b/c I have muscular friends who are NOT asked those questions).

Speaking as someone who has photographed ballerinas, pop stars and broadway dancers, there is a clear difference between the gait of a serious dancer or martial artist and that of someone unused to moving their body with clear focus.  It shows up in freeze-frame as well it does the naked eye.  Shoulders back, weight on the balls of the feet instead of the heels--it's a beautiful thing.  +1 one for martial arts training.

This!Most of our techniques (in Kyokushin, at least) require quick movement, and using the ball of the foot to pivot and keep "light" (for speed).  Foot work is so VERY important, esp. in a fight / sparring.I suppose this does carry over, through our repetition, to our everyday pedestrian movement.  Unconsciously, even.  Much in the same way I don't think during a fight, I react.  Karate is a reflex for me, at this point.Hell, I stand on NYC subway trains, and I don't hold anything.  I have a stable center of balance.Cory

vandelay87

" swings to snatches to squats".... Is that one combo exercise? how do you do those?Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Yep pretty much a Giant Set. You do 20-25 Swings then on to 10 Snatches then on to 10 Squats I do these a after a CN and in the middle of the week I do the Swings

The squats and snatches are w/dumbbells? I can do one arm dumbbell snatches, but not sure how to do two.Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Richard Schmitt

No I use a KB

backlash79

Some of my faves I've done from home:jump rope: ( I always use time instead of jumps, easier for me to listen for my interval timer than count jumps)-30 seconds fast, 30 seconds rest x 8-12 - this starts off easy and becomes hard-double unders - tabata style 20/10 x 8-Single leg 15 per foot rest 30 sandbag cleans - my home bag is ~110#'s x 10 rest for at least 2 minutes and repeat at least 3-5 total setsKB stuff: ( I have a 53#'er DD KB at home for reference)-Swings on the minute - I pick a number between 10 to 20 and I put the KB down as soon as I hit my goal reps, then rest until the top of the next minute repeat, can do these 2 handed or I've also done then 1-handed I.E...5 left hand, 5 right hand rest until top of next minute and repeat-power bomb swings - like a normal swing in the 1st half but a forcefull push as soon as the bell hits chest height - done these on the minute style as well as incorporated into a circuit

EMS218

Depending on the equipment you have I love to do this type of HIIT: 2min on:1min off for 8-10 rounds6 of each exercise:Box JumpsKB swingsBurpeesPull Ups/Push UpsSit UpsLungesDB/KB SnachesWall Balls or Med Ball Slamsetc.  You can think of as many or as few exercises as you want and just do 6 reps or so of each and go through the list for 2 minutes.  Then rest 1.  Start where you left off the time before.  It sucks but it's never that terrible because there are only 6 reps of each.  Before you know if you've been going for 25 or so minutes and it's kinda fun because you change it up and it doesn't get repetitive. 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Creative HIIT

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?