Dead Lift

• This topic has 12 voices and 24 replies.
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Joseph Conti
    Participant

Well this is funny. Any high level athlete has said that the deadlift is a pivotal lift meaning that there is no replacement. Also everyone know the trick to movement is the posterior chain. the deadlift by means of biomechanics is the best recruiter of this. Squats do not compare. Someone with a heavy deadlift usually can squat alot also , the reverse does not hold true. Joey I dont know you body type. but i also feel lot of back pump. I know that my best form is with a rounded back, like Konstantinovs. I even have a huge leg drive. Sometime it just takes some more volume to get used to the pump. Stick it man trust me you will be happy. Also for eveyone else on shockwave. dont ever take out a pure concentric exercise when backloading is based on concentric contractions. Deadlift

100% agree with you, Daveski. I know for myself personally, I saw the greatest changes in my physique as soon as I started deadlifting 315+ lbs. And now it is my favorite lift and love the feeling of lifting raw weight off the ground!P.S. I don't believe it is as dangerous as people make it out to be. Do some research, buy a book or two, learn the form, and get jacked!  🙂

BostonBully

Well this is funny. Any high level athlete has said that the deadlift is a pivotal lift meaning that there is no replacement. Also everyone know the trick to movement is the posterior chain. the deadlift by means of biomechanics is the best recruiter of this. Squats do not compare. Someone with a heavy deadlift usually can squat alot also , the reverse does not hold true. Joey I dont know you body type. but i also feel lot of back pump. I know that my best form is with a rounded back, like Konstantinovs. I even have a huge leg drive. Sometime it just takes some more volume to get used to the pump. Stick it man trust me you will be happy. Also for eveyone else on shockwave. dont ever take out a pure concentric exercise when backloading is based on concentric contractions. Deadlift

love the feeling of lifting raw weight off the ground!

Amen to that.  First time I pulled 600 lbs I got a high five from a random old guy.  It was an awesome feeling.

shaerow

“Good Mornings” are an awesome substitute, they actually really upped my strength when I switched to them- you don't need as much weight for them either.

Tanner Fox
    Participant

I know there is really no substitute for the dead lift, but can anybody recommend something anyway?  Despite being careful and being instructed on proper form, my lower back does not seem to care for that lift.  Executing the form as called for in SW is particularly worrisome for me. Thanks

If there is a previous injury or something along those lines that would prevent you from deadlifting that would be the ONLY time I would say NOT to do them.  If that is not the case then without a doubt it's a weakness in a particular area of your body or you are just not experienced enough to know proper form.  There are videos on YouTube that will explain how to properly executive the deadlift and it is WORTH the investment in time of properly learning it.  A guy I train with is 6' 7" tall and he has to pull sumo as well. He started out just like you and complained about lower back pain.  Obviously he was weak in this area and his strength needed to be increased but another thing I saw is that he need to learn to recruit his hips, glutes, and hamstrings in the movement.  Once his body was able to "learn" how to properly disperse the load his lower back problems were gone and his strength started climbing.Glutes bridges are a great movement to get these areas firing properly.  GHRs are GREAT In strengthening these areas. Tell you what, try to do a ghr at your gym, you may only be able to do a couple.  This is fine as your strength will start to climb quickly once you teach your body how to properly use these muscles.  Fast forward to you being strong enough to bang out 3 sets of 15 no problem.  When this is done I can guarantee you won't have lower back problems in the deadlift.

Leo Solis
    Participant

What about unilateral lifts?

Tanner Fox
    Participant

What about unilateral lifts?

I think that would be a good method of strengthening the areas needed to deadlift but not as a replacement.  I know people who have simply cannot do deadlift due to certain circumstances and they have had great progress.  But if you are fully capable then why not use a tool that has been proven time and time again to be effective?

Azroth

I'm 6.4″ and get low back problems when i pull conventional – probably because my hamstrings are shameful (just started doing GHR's and .. well .. let's say i'm looking forward to the point where i can get the concentric bit in ;)).I don't have access to a decent GHR so i use the smith rack, lowest rung and loaded bar with a pad for the knees, locking the heels up against the bar - not optimal, but it works. I've also switched to sumo until i get my hammies up to par and feel *much* better on these (even though i had to take a hit weight wise, it's going back up again really quickly)

Tanner Fox
    Participant

I'm 6.4" and get low back problems when i pull conventional - probably because my hamstrings are shameful (just started doing GHR's and .. well .. let's say i'm looking forward to the point where i can get the concentric bit in ;)).I don't have access to a decent GHR so i use the smith rack, lowest rung and loaded bar with a pad for the knees, locking the heels up against the bar - not optimal, but it works. I've also switched to sumo until i get my hammies up to par and feel *much* better on these (even though i had to take a hit weight wise, it's going back up again really quickly)

You have to make due with what you got man.  If your knees are on the floor you can also get a bit of a push for assistance as well.  That is how I started.  If sumo is you're choice for pulling have at it.  The load is probably lighter because your hips are a bit weaker.  Not a big deal because once you consistently grease the groove on how to properly deadlift the hips will get strong quick and boom, lower back problems are not an issue.

Azroth

You have to make due with what you got man.  If your knees are on the floor you can also get a bit of a push for assistance as well.  That is how I started.  If sumo is you're choice for pulling have at it.  The load is probably lighter because your hips are a bit weaker.  Not a big deal because once you consistently grease the groove on how to properly deadlift the hips will get strong quick and boom, lower back problems are not an issue.

Aye, i'm not complaining - it works =) - Just though i'd suggest it since (at least here in scando-lamd) a GHR is not an common occurrence. And yeah, i think the sumo is probably a good thing for a while, hitting areas i've not hit before.

try sumo dead lifts ….  a bit less strain on the back

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Dead Lift

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?