Deloading and CBL

• This topic has 16 voices and 28 replies.
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Macca
    Participant

Deloading is a valuable strategy for some.I personally like to have a 'deload' / back off week once every 4 weeks or so, but I train very hard and heavy in my main 'on' weeks.A deload for me is dropping the weights to around 60% of my 1rm and doing 5/8's four a couple of setsDe-loading does a few things for me

• Gives my body a chance to recover
    • Gives my mind a chance to recover - Walking into the gym trying to smash PB's / train with full intensity every single session can be quite mentally taxing
    • Keeps me sane whilst providing a bit of active recovery - Staying out of the gym for a week is just not really an option for me  ;D

Everyone will be different though and people can get away with different things (PED's obviously change the equation quite a lot)Many years of training has taught me what my body responds to best.CheersMacca

AkumaZ

Well you can still backload if you want to after training I believe it's as long as the reps are 70%of your 1RM that will benefit most from the backloads. Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I was discussing CBL with my coach today a bit and the question of how heavy one must lift to merit a backload came up.Any more info on the 70% guideline(such as the volume involved with it, what exercises count etc)?  Was this mentioned in a podcast at all?

Richard Schmitt

Ah I'm trying to remember, but I had a discussion with another member regarding this. Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Alca
    Participant

this is what bothers me currently aswell…on 5/3/1 every forth week is a Deload week... which means every fourth week I´m not reaping all the benefits of CBL when I´m backloading after a Deload Training Session..So this basically means I would do the prep phase every fourth week again, which would be optimal, but hell no, thats no LIFE!Gonna backload moderately on the deload weeks, probably a bit above Maintenance and on OFF Days a bit below Maintenance while doing Strength Accumulation Leanbulk.

https://alcaflow.com - for fitness, travel, personal development and more
    - CBL / CNS related content!

Richard Schmitt

this is what bothers me currently aswell...on 5/3/1 every forth week is a Deload week... which means every fourth week I´m not reaping all the benefits of CBL when I´m backloading after a Deload Training Session..So this basically means I would do the prep phase every fourth week again, which would be optimal, but hell no, thats no LIFE!Gonna backload moderately on the deload weeks, probably a bit above Maintenance and on OFF Days a bit below Maintenance while doing Strength Accumulation Leanbulk.

Uhh...it will suck but probably be better off doing CNS just for that week then hit up again with CBL

Alca
    Participant

Uhh...it will suck but probably be better off doing CNS just for that week then hit up again with CBL

what will suck?Doing ULC for that week?the thing is, I´m at single digit body fat and doing a prep phase every fourth week is freakin annoying.

https://alcaflow.com - for fitness, travel, personal development and more
    - CBL / CNS related content!

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

what will suck?Doing ULC for that week?the thing is, I´m at single digit body fat and doing a prep phase every fourth week is freakin annoying.

During the 5/3/1 deload week, you can still train your muscles enough for tGLUT translocation and not stress the CNS.  Just do your deload sets wendler prescribes and for assistance work do two or three shockwave style PSR sets.  I bet this will be enough translocate tGLUT while allowing your CNS to recover.  You might have to tone down the backloads a bit.

Tanner Fox
    Participant

Josh Bryant is programming my squat and deadlift now and Kiefer is handling bench.  There are two different strategies taking place right now between the both of them but the strength is progressing in each.  Every 4th week I take a deload on the squat and deadlift as by that time I am completely and utterly beat to shit.  Hey, this is what keeps the progress coming for me at this stage so I am rolling with it.Bench on the other hand there are not many deloads as the CNS output on a bench workout vs and squat/dead workout not just not the same.  This is how Kiefer explained it to me.  We do have somewhat of a deload on the bench every once in awhile, but it is more of a CNS amplification workout than "taking a break".During the deload I was told to keep the backload frequency in full swing as the body is still trying to get back to normal.  I can honestly say I don't feel "normal" until the end of the week on a deload and the backloads speed up the process.  I would think going ULC would make this process take longer, but that would depend on how intense your workouts are.  3 weeks of progressively taking it to the extreme has a cumulative effect on the body.  I didn't backload as hard and used cleaner foods like rice/sweet potatoes but I did not go ULC.  At then end of the week I didn't gain an ounce of fat, and felt more refreshed than ever, ready to take on the next stage of training.Different methods of everyone but I figured I would give you guys another route to look at during a deload.

McLeod2012

this is a really old thread but i was just looking for deload topics. how do you all feel about HIIT on deloads? does that affect the CNS too much?

Mikehr

this is a really old thread but i was just looking for deload topics. how do you all feel about HIIT on deloads? does that affect the CNS too much?

Depends on what your definition of a deload is I guess, if your just following a program like 5/3/1 with a scheduled deload and you feel fine than yeah go for it but for me I deload when my cns is fried and every joint from head to toe hurts like hell, so i usually hit the gym and just do some LiSS and fluff work like bis tris abs and shit.

Richard Schmitt

Like Mike said, it all depends on you. If you feel up to it, then by all means go for it. As long as you lift accordingly you should be fine

Tiago Nicolau
    Participant

What do you guys think of deload in DB?Im thinking of taking this week off, i just cant figure out how to deload properly so the best is just to take a break for 1 week,Since now im DB, should i CBL evey 2 days or so? or just CNS until i start again the WO?

Richard Schmitt

What do you guys think of deload in DB?Im thinking of taking this week off, i just cant figure out how to deload properly so the best is just to take a break for 1 week,Since now im DB, should i CBL evey 2 days or so? or just CNS until i start again the WO?

That's up to you. If doing Density Bulking, you can still have carbs. However, with the whole "deload" week, don't think of it as a week away from the gym unless you're on vacation or can not get to one, but just go lighter on your lifts instead. Keep your body primed and ready to go for the following week. Keep the carbs a moderate amount this week, depending on what you eat you could just have one carb meal and be done.

Tiago Nicolau
    Participant

That's up to you. If doing Density Bulking, you can still have carbs. However, with the whole "deload" week, don't think of it as a week away from the gym unless you're on vacation or can not get to one, but just go lighter on your lifts instead. Keep your body primed and ready to go for the following week. Keep the carbs a moderate amount this week, depending on what you eat you could just have one carb meal and be done.

I dont expect to gain muscle from this week deloading, even if its supposed to since our body is conciliating the gains,But what i dont want is to back-load and gain fat, and thats what is worrying me mostly,I dont understand deload mostly because:1) i go to the gym and i dont know if i stay with my currrent WO plan or i do only assistance machines and keep it light?2) during this Deload week should i skip pre WO shake and go lighter on the post WO shake?im doing the book shakes.3) does normal HIIT (30secs spring and 2 minutes walk) strain our CNS or can i do it during this week 1hour before WO?The truth is i feel fine, i want to DL and Dumbbel squat(dont have a rack), but i think i have to rest my lower back,The back-loads seem simple enough, just eat the whole food meal with no fat on it, going to something like 100-150g carbs,for me thats simple, but eating carbs without proper stimulation of Glut4 seems a good way to gain fat even if keeping the back-load only with the right things..

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Deloading and CBL

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?