DHA/EPA – How much?

• This topic has 7 voices and 17 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

theilercabin

How in the world does one obtain the amounts of DHA/EPA that are recommended in the book.  I am very much into experimenting with these 3's, yet the only products I am finding thus far are in much smaller quantities.  I would be taking 10 or more capsules a day.  Any bulk outlet recommendations?  Anyone?

stephenhdmrs

I just bought some from Amazon.  It's a NOW product(which gets good ratings online).  750mg per pill.  That'll drop it down to needing 7.  Still a lot though.  I thought the book recommended oil.  I can't do oils for fish oil.  I prefer popping pills.  Plus the dosages are spread out through the day according to the book.

Well if you take them in with what you eat not just pill you take you should be solid. If you intake flax, or omega 3 eggs, or certain oils, they will all get you towards that goal. Maybe take krill oil instead since you take less to equal more, but it's more expensive.

Naomi Most

Yeah, try and skew the foods in your diet towards the omega-3s as much as possible. Keep targeting the 3:1 (or better) ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acids.Grass-fed beef (and BISON! ohh delicious bison) is actually a great source of omega-3s. Some fish, like mackerel and salmon, are good for it too. Large predatory fish are NOT high in omega-3s (and carry a bad mercury load too).Omega-3 eggs aren't all they're cracked up to be, unfortunately. (Sorry for the pun, couldn't resist.)http://www.bulletproofexec.com/1-biohacking-101-with-andrew-clark/Flax is kind of problematic. The fatty acids in flax are the PRECURSORS of DHA, and people convert the omega-3s in flax to DHA sometimes very poorly or not at all. The phytates in flax also inhibit uptake of B-6 (possible problem for certain people), and the lignans in flax, touted as "hormone balancers" especially for women, are poorly understood.I haven't scrutinized this article but it LOOKS like it covers all the bases.http://integratedsupplements.typepad.com/integrated_supplements_bl/2008/05/from-rancid-fat.htmlPeople, seeds really don't want to be eaten.  🙂

theilercabin

Naomi, Here is one thing that concerned me.  I know that the CB book discussed upping EPA/DHA intake to roughly five total grams, yet the article you cited asserted this:Although 300 mg – 500 mg of EPA and DHA may be slightly higher than optimal on a diet low in linoleic acid, this intake is still reasonable and, in all likelihood, safe.  Many of those who take omega–3 supplements, however, may be consuming far greater (and potentially unsafe) amounts of omega–3 fatty acids.  It's not entirely uncommon to find fish oils and related sources of omega–3s recommended in doses of multiple teaspoons per day – doses which not a shred of long–term scientific evidence actually supports.  A single teaspoon (or 5 capsules) of standard fish oil for example, will contain approximately 1300 mg of combined EPA and DHA – an amount almost twice that of the average Japanese intake per day.  Add to this the EPA and DHA in the diet, and many supplement takers are sure to be consuming problematic amounts of long–chain omega–3s.Any thoughts? 

Naomi Most

Yeahh….. Two main thoughts on that.The problem is that there are no long-term, longitudinal studies done with fish oil supplements. We simply don't know whether taking fish oil every day has the same beneficial effects even a year down the road as it does in the immediate term.That's why you'll see people say, "taking fish oil long-term COULD be harmful!" and also why you'll see just as many say, "it looks like 6 months of taking fish oil is good, so long term is probably good too."As for the book... I'm not totally familiar with the studies the book references about omega-3's enhancements of hypertrophic effects.BUT I will say that almost every study you come across on the web or read in articles like the ones I've posted pretty much only apply to people who AREN'T training hard and trying to get big and muscular. And that makes a huge difference, because the normal, sedentary individual definitely should not be doing Carb Back-Loading -- and that includes the fish oil recommendations, most likely.I think most people will see a HUGE benefit just by adding 2g of fish oil (which breaks down into sub-1g doses of EPA and DHA) to their day. So if anyone is worried about taking that much fish oil, well, just start with the base level for "normal" people. Chances are you'll feel better all over, maybe even in ways you didn't expect.

theilercabin

I tell you what.  I know this know for a fact, that supplementing with coconut oil/MCT oil, absolutely without a doubt has a major mental benefit; at least for me.  I have ADD, I have to have ten thousand things going on at once.  I can process a shitload of information very quickly often at the same time, yet there are times were I get fuzzy, especially with regards to memory access.  Sometimes I struggle to recall names or specific sites, or seem to forget easy shit that I should know.  But for the last week, I have been as mentally clear as I have ever been in my life.  I do believe it was a matter of getting more healthy saturated fats in my diet.  I am damn near convinced.  I did buy  a local GNC brand of Triple Strength Omega 1000, a full gram of a combination of EPA/DHA.  So I plan on supplementing with this product.  And here's what I believe is just as important, making sure you cut drastically back on the omega-6, lineolic acid.  There is a HUGE body of research that asserts it's the high level of lineolic acid that could be significantly affecting heart disease and all sorts of disease and possible disorders.  I am documenting everything.  I am going full-tilt into all of this.  As I said I am ADD, and have to be excited and interested in a myriad of shit, constantly.  Good times.

Damon Amato
    Participant

I have ADHD.  I find that Ritalin works pretty well too.

theilercabin

Fuck prescription pills, all Ritalin would do is blunt the incredible affects of ADD or ADHD.  Those with ADD have a tremendous gift, if they learn how to control the mind and shift focus.  I would NEVER blunt or desire to change speeds.  I love my speed, I go full tilt, all day from sun up to sun down and then some.  You simply have to re-shift your focus and develop a beneficial strategy that employs the gift rather than minimize it.  ADD in the right “hands” in this day in age of immediate information and tabs, and constant bombardment of information is a huge advantage.  I wouldn't trade my disposition for any amount of money.  I feel others are often boot-strapped by their”everyday” framework and neural abilities.  It's up to everyone to sincerely self-analyze their own self-disposition and elements therein, and develop a life-strategy that enhances and highlights strengths, while constantly working and re-focusing those elements that are not as effective/efficient on a practical plane.  In short, Fuck some Ritalin.  And fuck the doctors who prescribe it as a cure or even a strategy.  It's merely easy for them and parents - as everyday folks are lazy fuckers who never have the drive or the balls to go out and get what is rightfully theirs in life. 

Damon Amato
    Participant

I'd say it depends on your symptoms.  Before Ritalin I couldn't focus or remember anything.  I'd read entire chapters of books and then have no idea what i just read, and i'd get aggrivated at the drop of a hat.Now I don't get frustrated hardly ever, and I read the entire CBL book yesterday.  Not sure I could survive very well without it.

theilercabin

Right on, gotta figure out what works, and if it works for ya, super.Have you attempted to augment your nutrition with quality sat. fats like EPA/DHA, and/or MCT/Coconut oil?

stedmaniv

Check out these two companies:- http://purepharma.com/ (PurePharma: pill form)- http://strongerfasterhealthier.com/products (SFH: oil form with lots of flavors)I've used both, and like them both. These are both highly concentrated, so you can get the 5 grams in a relatively small dose. These are high quality products, so be ready for the investment. I find it worth the money, as I don't get fishy burps with either of these products and because of how they are produced they have a longer and more stable shelf life. I can usually find 10% coupons if I search for them online.No, I have no scientific evidence of these being superior fish oil products, but I have tried about a dozen different types of fish oil, and these what I currently use.

Rev

Check out protein factory krill oil. Good amount of DHA and EPA per serving and price wasn't too bad for the amount you get. If you add on to other supplements you might buy there the shipping costs become tolerable.

Naomi Most

Check out protein factory krill oil. Good amount of DHA and EPA per serving and price wasn't too bad for the amount you get. If you add on to other supplements you might buy there the shipping costs become tolerable.

Krill oil is supposed to be pretty good stuff.Just out of curiosity, have you guys had decent experiences ordering from Protein Factory?

stephenhdmrs

Yes and now i'm kicking myself for somehow missing krill oil from them.They ship almost immediately.  But it's UPS ground and slightly costly.  Takes about 5 days to get to southern california.I used to take casein from optimum nutrition and it would upset my stomach a lot.  I don't have any problems downing a lot of casein from Protein Factory.I think(maybe... going out on a limb) a lot of their protein types are hyped up with no research to prove.  I could be wrong.  I like to stick to the basics and for that, their prices are very good.That being said, I like hyped up stuff.  I bought 5 lb's of whey isolate from milk on my most recent order.  Supposedly it's a lot more anabolic.  It was only slightly more expensive.  But the taste is supposed to be really good.Lastly, how could you argue with what kiefer recommenders?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

DHA/EPA – How much?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?