Diet adjustments for marathon training

• This topic has 4 voices and 7 replies.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

gillypearl
    Keymaster

I just finished my winter races when I heard about CNS/CBL and have taken some time off to focus on weight training.  Yesterday I received notice that I beat the odds and did in fact get selected for the NYC Marathon. I'm really excited because 1) its my first full marathon 2) I'm originally from NY and my whole family can watch me race 3) I'll get to go home and meet my first niece/nephew who is due 6wks before the race.  So I'm running it!In both books there are references to modifications for distance runners. Has anyone had experience with this?Last year during my race season (a 5k, a 10k, and 2 half marathons) I ate pretty low carb. Here's an example of my typical race training schedule:Monday: hillsTuesday: lift Wednesday: fartlek/intervalsThursday: liftFriday: offSaturday: long runSunday: off (or yoga or swim). Suggestions/commentary for timing of carbs welcome. I usually run in the AM, long runs are always 6am Saturdays. I was thinking a Friday night carb nite before the long run?  Like the AM back loading protocol.

Damon Amato
    Participant

I suggest you PM Naomi with a link to this thread for a good answer. She'll probably end up asking Kiefer anyway. I've been looking for this answer for a while myself.

Naomi Most

I can't get straight answers from Kiefer about long-distance running because he thinks it's an intrinsically unhealthy thing to do.

Damon Amato
    Participant

What if we replace marathon runner with high level athlete playing basketball/football/lacrosse/MMA?

Naomi Most

What if we replace marathon runner with high level athlete playing basketball/football/lacrosse/MMA?

Different thing entirely.  Short bursts of intensity coupled with lots of standing around... sounds like HIIT to me.

Damon Amato
    Participant

I agree, I guess I was more thinking of a college or high school athlete whose practice could potentially be 2.5-3 hours in length, not doing a typical 20 min HIIT session that we normally think about.

gillypearl

I can't get straight answers from Kiefer about long-distance running because he thinks it's an intrinsically unhealthy thing to do.

But I gotta do just one, this one. 🙂

IOWA.PharmD

Gilly, I'm with you!!!!! I ran the Chicago last fall and have been trying to get out the adjustments that Kiefer has made. I'm currently not signed up for a marathon but Twin Cities in October could be in my future. I now see for muscle gain they're intrinsically bad. (I've rode 100+ miles outside on my bike this week) but I enjoy it! It's fun and a stress reliever!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Diet adjustments for marathon training

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?