Diet Myths & Facts Debunked.

• This topic has 4 voices and 12 replies.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Richard Schmitt

I like looking at these and sharing these. Just for the simple fact of amusement and if there starting to realize some of the stuff we're doing. Like “A Calorie Is Not A Calorie”, and when to eat type of deal. The thing that gets me is the CBL is evolved IF, but everyone keeps stating not to skip meals, that we need to eat every 2-3 hours. Yeah I was apart of that bandwagon, it works sure, but it's stressful and irritating. http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/10-weight-loss-myths-facts-203000404.html

Richard Schmitt

Also what do y'all think about this crap? I'm sure it COULD work to get a six pack, but yeah…again the stressful matter of the bro-science bandwagon deal. The thing I find interesting is the amount of “calories burned” while lifting is the same amount burned while running a 6 minute mile.http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/ab_strategies/Exercise_the_Right_Way.php

Newfiedan
    Participant

wow, that last one was sooooo wrong it actually made me angry to read it lol. It is the age old health guru crap being spewed all over again which pisses me off. I do agree that the best way to shed fat is both weights and HIIT work but all results are diet based first and foremost in my opinion. Without diet plans flat line pretty quickly I learned that the hard way. 1 year of cutting cals and shedding fat and muscle vs 2 mths of cns/cbl and I saw better fat loss and better results with cns/cbl. Yes cutting cals does work but it costs muscle as well as fat the leaner you get. The leaner you get the higher the percentage of muscle loss with the fat unless you want to go at a crawl. I am still expanding my knowledge base for diet and how to get results but thus far I have not seen anything that stacks up to cns/cbl for results.

Richard Schmitt

Sorry sir, I wasn't trying to make you mad or anything. I just look at these, and scoff at a lot of them, because I have a feeling that these are old, and not much research is done. I know cutting calories work, but at a cost of losing muscle, I can't stand that or do that anymore. I honestly love the strength that I have gained. The problem I'm having is that I have to go buy bigger clothes, because everything has increased haha. I just don't believe this crap flies in soceity anymore, and then they sit there stating how certain “diet” foods are not actually helpful in losing weight….

Newfiedan
    Participant

lol, yeah I have fun driving the “keyboard health gurus” nuts on mfp all the time by refusing to accept the crap they spew about cals in cals out and you need to eat healthy all the time diet nazi beliefs that they hold sooo dear with absolutely no scientific evidence except for “my scale weight has dropped”. When I tell them get me a bodyfat analysis to prove you did not lose muscle they say I got stronger. Like hell they did, I got progressively weaker as I got leaner from the start. I continue to endorse and always will endorse that without some type of body comp analysis to back their claim it means nothing.

CaseyD

The Men's Health article doesn't contain any incorrect information. The only “questionable” item is the part telling you to eat a big breakfast. And to be fair, it's only questionable if you follow CBL/IF/anything similar. Overall, this article doesn't really contain enough specific advice to be wrong. The tips included could be used to help anyone lose fat. As far as losing muscle, well yeah, of course that's going to happen if you don't have a proper diet.

CaseyD

Also, the yahoo article mentions people who don't eat at regular intervals “tend to overeat”. It doesn't say eating every 2-3 hours is necessary. It's just another tool to keep people in check, but that doesn't mean everyone should do it.

Newfiedan
    Participant

This is not intended to come out as a holier than thou post but I am going to break down the article and what I agree with and disagree with.1) drinking 16 oz of chilled water upon waking does not aid in fat loss, yes it will rehydrate you but it has little to do with fat loss. I tried this as part of the tim ferris's 4 hr body book as well as his other ice tricks and it I did not see any significant increase in fat burning with these as opposed to just cutting calories using calipers and measuring tape to gauge results.2) Breakfast, eating it does not aid in fat loss unless you are on a calorie reduced diet, and in that situation its the calorie deficit that creates the fat loss not eating breakfast. Eating breakfast causes you to lose out on some of the most beneficial fat burning time as well as shutting down fat loss upon eating it.3) The monitoring your goals part and changing the diet to suit those goals I totally agree with, this was the first useful thing that I found thus far in the article.4) Pack a lunch, this part I also totally agree with its the second point I am in agreement with, just not on what the lunch contains.5) Exercise the right way I also agree with, for maximum fat loss yes you do need a 2 fold method of HIIT and weights.6) Lastly sleep, this is in my opinion an essential element as this is where the magic happens when the body both heals and uses up the fat reserves. This is what makes any programs benefits show particularly those that get you to secrete human growth hormone.Bottom line, yes there are some benefits in the advice but it still steers people towards older diet methodologies and diet is what makes or breaks any program. Results are born in the kitchen, forged in the gym and worn with pride. I was a hardcore calorie counter as I thought for a long time it was the only way to shed fat. I ate "healthy" all the time then when my 6 pack was still nowhere in site despite my best efforts I turned to leangains.com and started to open my mind more. In 7 weeks I saw more results and the diet allowed me to shed both fat and gain some lean body mass, which according to Mr. Tom Venuto is not possible unless you are obese or genetically gifted. His holy grail book taught you to cal deficit for a few days then overeat for a few days to shed fat and gain muscle, well I did that watching my diet and eating breakfast and guess what 8 weeks zilch results. 7 weeks of cns with cbl principles and I gained noticeable muscle, shed more fat (dropped 1" off my waistline) and you can see it in the mirror. Its not the only way to get results I know that, but it is the first diet and teachings that actually delivered what was promised and I have tried lots of programs over the years.  Eating the bulk of your cals later at night has also been shown to aid in retaining lean body mass, yes you lose less weight but more of it is muscle which makes it a better choice.

CaseyD

We could debate the minutiae all day, but what prompted my first response was the face that it seems like a lot of people on this board seem to automatically dismiss anything that doesn't fall directly in line with CBL. Yes, I follow CBL, yes, I think it's a great way to eat, but at the end of the day, I know there are other ways to get the same results.Just because something doesn't/didn't work for you, doesn't mean it won't work for tons of other people. Now, if they started saying something like you should be eating a big breakfast containing pancakes, syrup, and a slice of chocolate cake, I might have something to say about that. Even then, that could be part of a diet, maybe like a refeed day or something. Idk, just a bit of a rant.

Richard Schmitt

We could debate the minutiae all day, but what prompted my first response was the face that it seems like a lot of people on this board seem to automatically dismiss anything that doesn't fall directly in line with CBL. Yes, I follow CBL, yes, I think it's a great way to eat, but at the end of the day, I know there are other ways to get the same results.Just because something doesn't/didn't work for you, doesn't mean it won't work for tons of other people. Now, if they started saying something like you should be eating a big breakfast containing pancakes, syrup, and a slice of chocolate cake, I might have something to say about that. Even then, that could be part of a diet, maybe like a refeed day or something. Idk, just a bit of a rant.

You know what's funny, I saw/read an article on yahoo about having a slice of cake for breakfast, and how there is benefits in it for you. haha.

Newfiedan
    Participant

I do agree that it is far from the only way to get to the goals, I know I can shed fat by cutting cals and following a similar regimen to what the article was putting forward, however I have been at this for a long time now and for once the diet delivers exactly what it promised for me. I have tried many different methods to shed the fat and gain lean mass but in the end they all fell short of what they said they would do for me. I am not narrow minded enough to say that cbl or cns is the only way to reach your goals. Hell you can shed fat doing a twinkie diet if you watch cals or eating mcdonalds every day. I know first hand that other methods do work, where I have an issue is the effectiveness of the method. I am a results based guy, always have been. It is what has made me very successful in life, results say more about a diet than the methods in my opinion, but those results need to be maintainable. Yes we could argue the finer points casey I am not saying you are wrong brother, I am just saying that when it comes to results nothing has delivered for me the way cns and cbl have.

Naomi Most

The vast majority of articles published in fitness magazines and online are there for three reasons:1. they don't offend advertisers (very important).2. they get readers to keep their eyes on the page (almost as important as #1).3. they make no bold claims that would need to be backed up with evidence.  Because that would make the magazine's life complicated.That last one is why 99% of what you read is absolute garbage.  Every fitness writer out there trying to sell a piece of writing knows that he can sell a restatement of any recombination of truth and myths that he likes.  As long as only one or two items could be considered "controversial", and he writes at an 8th grade level, it'll get published.

Newfiedan
    Participant

lol, well said Naomi.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Diet Myths & Facts Debunked.

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?