Diet Soda

• This topic has 7 voices and 29 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author

Damon Amato
    Participant

I just had a baby yesterday so I haven't been able to get the CN book yet, can someone tell me about diet soda?  I'm talking of course about general aspartame sweetened soda and not splenda sweetened (can't find that anywhere anyway).  Will that raise insulin levels?  Should I be avoiding it at all cost?  OK to have along with fat/protein?  Dying to go to the food court right now for a diet coke but want to get an answer first.

Richard Schmitt

CONGRATS DMUNNEE!!! Sorry had to put that out there. Uhm personally I'd avoid soda all together, I haven't drank soda in nearly two in a half years, and find it a better choice not to. I'll have to look again at the CNS book to see what available drinks you can have. I'm still skeptical on energy drinks too.

Damon Amato
    Participant

TY.  I need something to drink besides water, preferably carbonated and sweet.  Doing my best not to eat all the sweet munchkins and reeses peanut butter pie, etc. while here.  This is quite the test of my determination to be <10%bf.

Richard Schmitt

I just found those Milo drink deals and been using Crystal Light Packets…those are life savers.

Damon Amato
    Participant

never heard of Milo.  Love crystal light, holla!

Richard Schmitt

Mio Liquid correction, its those squeezable bottles. The fruit punch I really enjoy personally of the Mio. The crystal light…all of them!

calebsmitty

According to carb nite diet sodas are acceptable. 

masZUL
    Participant

QFT.  Nothing wrong with diet soda (from a CNS perspective).  Not surprising since the sweetners in diet soda do not contain carbs, HFCS Fructose and sugar alcohols on the other hand do contain carbs.

robhally

Diet Soda is okay, just watch out for the carbs/sugar alcohols in some of the products like crystal light. I always factor those into my carb count along with gum. Don't know if that's going overboard but thats just my take on it.

Damon Amato
    Participant

QFT.  Nothing wrong with diet soda (from a CNS perspective).  Not surprising since the sweetners in diet soda do not contain carbs, HFCS Fructose and sugar alcohols on the other hand do contain carbs.

awesome, exact response I needed.  TYVM.

Jerad

If I remember right aspartame is a sweetener you want to avoid.

robhally

@Jerad    I think the jury's still debating on wether or not aspartame has any side effects that are detrimental to one's health. But, we do know that it doesn't effect insulin levels which makes it a suitable drink while doing CB or CNS. I still try to drink it sparingly rather than making it a regular thing.

Jerad

I only mention aspartame cause I thought I seen Kiefer or Naomi mention it somewhere in the comments of an article.From here

Depends on the sweetener. Kiefer always uses sucralose and recommends it in Carb Nite as one of the only sweeteners that won't mess things up. Stevia is the other one, and my personal preference. Like Bridgette mentioned, avoid the sugar alcohols (maltitol, xylitol) like the plague. Aspartame digests into a couple of amino acids (phenylalanine and aspartic acid) that stimulate insulin, so playing it safe means that one's out too. Not sure about saccharine.There's also the "Pavlov's dog" effect -- the body does seem to generate enzymes and insulin in anticipation of digestion in response to certain sensory stimuli (mostly taste), but the jury's still out on just how much of an insulinemic response you can expect.This could be one of those "your mileage may vary" things. Anecdotally speaking, I've heard/read some individuals' reports of busting through fat loss plateaus only after ceasing the use of all sweeteners. Whether the sweetener itself was causing a problem, or it was triggering over-consumption later, no one seems to know.

robhally

Let's just hope the book will answer this question and all the other ones we are unsure of.

Jerad

yea I use sucralose in my coffee and tea(only a wee bit though) and most sugar free energy drinks are sweetened with sucralose which I like. they get me through the day.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Diet Soda

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?