Diet Soda

• This topic has 7 voices and 29 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author

Richard Schmitt

Diet Soda is okay, just watch out for the carbs/sugar alcohols in some of the products like crystal light. I always factor those into my carb count along with gum. Don't know if that's going overboard but thats just my take on it.

So Crystal Light packets are bad? I only drink water and (now) coffee, and those packets really help change it up. Also Splenda packets are not really that good to intake in coffee?

nz6stringaxe

Splenda contains maltodextrin (usually) as a filler. Maltodextrin is a fast-acting carb, like the one we'd use in pwo drinks (but not on Carb Nite of course). The packets themselves only weigh about a gram so it's only about a gram of carbs, but it counts. Just account for them and you should be good to go.

Jeremy Wade
    Participant

Splenda contains maltodextrin (usually) as a filler. Maltodextrin is a fast-acting carb, like the one we'd use in pwo drinks (but not on Carb Nite of course). The packets themselves only weigh about a gram so it's only about a gram of carbs, but it counts. Just account for them and you should be good to go.

Indeed. I was sweetening my coffee with splenda but not being a fan of coffee meant I was using 4packets.  At 4 packets I was afraid I was getting too much simple sugars. Yesterday I found a completely additive-free stevia powder and made the switch. On a side note, pure stevia is potent...  1/2 teaspoon is enough for my coffee.

Richard Schmitt

Indeed. I was sweetening my coffee with splenda but not being a fan of coffee meant I was using 4packets.  At 4 packets I was afraid I was getting too much simple sugars. Yesterday I found a completely additive-free stevia powder and made the switch. On a side note, pure stevia is potent...  1/2 teaspoon is enough for my coffee.

What is that stevia powder called? If splenda is that bad, I'll switch to stevia

Jerad

What is that stevia powder called? If splenda is that bad, I'll switch to stevia

I think Stevia is the brand name? I've seen it at the store with just that name on it.

Jeremy Wade
    Participant

Its a plant-based sweetener from the leaf of Stevia Rebaudiana.  There are many forms of Stevia on the market, but I found most to have Dextrose or Maltodextrin as their primary ingredient.The sweetener that I am using now is manufactured by NOW FOODS and is called "Better Stevia", ingredient list is: " Certified Organic Stevia Extract Powder".  I have been happy with it so far, and with it, I don't have to worry about any carbs sneaking through.  It is not cheap by any measure, but worth it to me.

Richard Schmitt

Its a plant-based sweetener from the leaf of Stevia Rebaudiana.  There are many forms of Stevia on the market, but I found most to have Dextrose or Maltodextrin as their primary ingredient.The sweetener that I am using now is manufactured by NOW FOODS and is called "Better Stevia", ingredient list is: " Certified Organic Stevia Extract Powder".  I have been happy with it so far, and with it, I don't have to worry about any carbs sneaking through.  It is not cheap by any measure, but worth it to me.

Yeah I saw that, and been meaning to try something like that, but I at the moment I've been sticking with one packet of Splenda in my coffee. Afraid to go over board with it

HeatherPrimeaux

Are Stevia and Truvia the same thing?

Jeremy Wade
    Participant

Truvia is a brand name of stevia that includes Maltodextrin in it the same way Splenda does.Stevia is the actual sweet extract from the stevia rebaudiana leaf.I use a pure stevia extract powder from Now Foods called "Better Stevia".  It's not cheap, but 1/8 of a teaspoon is extremely potent, so it lasts forever, and I know that no hidden carbs are sneaking into my diet from the sweetener.

Richard Schmitt

Truvia is a brand name of stevia that includes Maltodextrin in it the same way Splenda does.Stevia is the actual sweet extract from the stevia rebaudiana leaf.I use a pure stevia extract powder from Now Foods called "Better Stevia".  It's not cheap, but 1/8 of a teaspoon is extremely potent, so it lasts forever, and I know that no hidden carbs are sneaking into my diet from the sweetener.

...I want to get that Stevia then, it'll be better for me to stay ultra-low carb during the day

Naomi Most

I just had a baby yesterday so I haven't been able to get the CN book yet, can someone tell me about diet soda?  I'm talking of course about general aspartame sweetened soda and not splenda sweetened (can't find that anywhere anyway).  Will that raise insulin levels?  Should I be avoiding it at all cost?  OK to have along with fat/protein?  Dying to go to the food court right now for a diet coke but want to get an answer first.

Whoa! I can't believe I missed this.Kickass... Congrats on the baby!

Damon Amato
    Participant

ty, haven't slept in two weeks.  That's why I'm always on the forums.

Richard Schmitt

Well again congrats sir, I'm sure having a newborn is a lot of responibilty...I can only imagine what you and Naomi go through...

Naomi Most

BWahahahaha... my condolences to the mother.By the way, I've helped a lot of women with postpartum reconditioning -- and I know how breastfeeding affects macronutrient needs -- so if your wife could use any help whatsoever, please have her contact me. Or you can contact me on her behalf. I know it's hard to get on the computer as a new mom (and a little terrifying when you haven't touched your email in weeks).Hmmm... All I remember from the first 2 weeks is drinking a lot of herbal chai from the cafe down the block, and playing Civilization 5, and nursing. A loooot of nursing...

Damon Amato
    Participant

Indeed, she is nursing constantly.  If you can believe it, at my daughter's first well appointment with the pediatrician three days after birth, she GAINED .5lb.  For those without kids, usually breastfed babies lose weight initially and get back to birthweight after 1-2 weeks.  My daughter is a beast.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Diet Soda

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?