Does carbs+fat increase or blunt insulin response?

• This topic has 5 voices and 11 replies.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Zahid Saddique
    Participant

So I've read both things, that eating fat with high GI carbs will dampen the insulin response and also from posts on this forum that saturated fat, in particular, on Carb Nites will cause higher spikes when consumed with glucose-based foods. I've also heard several times (and pretty sure Kiefer wrote in the CNS book) that having high-fat carb meals will cause you to gain weight so understood from that fat will not blunt the insulin response (and could possibly increase?).If I sound confused by the way it's because I am! 🙂Thanks!

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

So I've read both things, that eating fat with high GI carbs will dampen the insulin response and also from posts on this forum that saturated fat, in particular, on Carb Nites will cause higher spikes when consumed with glucose-based foods. I've also heard several times (and pretty sure Kiefer wrote in the CNS book) that having high-fat carb meals will cause you to gain weight so understood from that fat will not blunt the insulin response (and could possibly increase?).If I sound confused by the way it's because I am! 🙂Thanks!

In general fat will increase the insulin response of a carb meal.  I wouldn't worry too much about this.  Just eat the right kind of carbs and you'll be fine.

Zahid Saddique
    Participant

Thanks I'm not worried just looking to understand better. 🙂So if fats in general increase the insulin response so I guess this explains why so many of you guys can down pizza and doughnuts on your CNs?I guess the source of my confusion was from reading a while back why the GI scale was a load of rubbish because you never a carrot, for example, by itself, but rather as part of a meal which will result in a lower GI overall and hence a smaller insulin response. Is this not the case, or would the protein or fiber from the rest of the meal be the cause of this?Thanks again!

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Thanks I'm not worried just looking to understand better. 🙂So if fats in general increase the insulin response so I guess this explains why so many of you guys can down pizza and doughnuts on your CNs?I guess the source of my confusion was from reading a while back why the GI scale was a load of rubbish because you never a carrot, for example, by itself, but rather as part of a meal which will result in a lower GI overall and hence a smaller insulin response. Is this not the case, or would the protein or fiber from the rest of the meal be the cause of this?Thanks again!

Understanding glycemic index and optimizing it for CBL/CNS is a wild goose chase.  All carbs are pretty much fair game except fruit and whole grains.As far as downing pizza and doughnuts on Carb Nites, that has more to do with energy balance. Some people can do that, some can't.  I don't do CNS (I do CBL) and I ate a whole pizza last night and I have cookies every time I backload.  However, other people can't do that.

Zahid Saddique
    Participant

Thanks for the response mate. I'm quite a small guy, 5″6', 154lb, around 22% bf, so not much muscle. I assume therefore I probably cannot manage such a heavy load.Btw, I still would love to understand more about how adding fat/protein/fiber to carbs affects the insulin response. If anyone has any reliable resources they can refer me to I would really appreciate it.Thanks!

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Thanks for the response mate. I'm quite a small guy, 5"6', 154lb, around 22% bf, so not much muscle. I assume therefore I probably cannot manage such a heavy load.Btw, I still would love to understand more about how adding fat/protein/fiber to carbs affects the insulin response. If anyone has any reliable resources they can refer me to I would really appreciate it.Thanks!

Read this study:  http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/66/5/1264.full.pdf+htmlYou will a lot about how different macronutrients effect insulin response. 

Zahid Saddique
    Participant

Thank you! Looks like heavy reading, got it on my phone to read on way to work tomorrow! 🙂

Spartan Werewolf
    Participant

I was under the impression that fat does blunt insulin response.  However, if you eat fat and carbs at the same time, the fat will be stored more readily.  Is this not accurate?

Richard Schmitt

No, because the presence of insulin, it won't be available for for a couple of hours after back loading your carbs. Depending on when you ingest your carbs of course, preferably at night.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I was under the impression that fat does blunt insulin response.  However, if you eat fat and carbs at the same time, the fat will be stored more readily.  Is this not accurate?

No, the insulin response increases when fat is added to carbs.  However, it is released in a smoother, less spiky manner.

Tracy Jarchow
    Participant

What I've heard Kiefer mention about eating carbs and the insulin response is without fat the insulin response is higher in magnitude but shorter in duration. Carbs eaten with fats the insulin response is lower in magnitude but longer in duration. Both have a very similar area under the curve and results have been similar. For some the issue is fats may satiate hunger too early not allowing a person to ingest enough carbs for maximum effectiveness.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

What I've heard Kiefer mention about eating carbs and the insulin response is without fat the insulin response is higher in magnitude but shorter in duration. Carbs eaten with fats the insulin response is lower in magnitude but longer in duration. Both have a very similar area under the curve and results have been similar. For some the issue is fats may satiate hunger too early not allowing a person to ingest enough carbs for maximum effectiveness.

That's the general idea, but usually fat increases the AUC.  Take a look at the insulin index study.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Does carbs+fat increase or blunt insulin response?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?