Dumbbell weight

• This topic has 7 voices and 11 replies.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Rsaeire
    Participant

I was just looking for opinions on what would work best to gain muscle the fastest.I'm on DB and have been using dumbbell workouts to workout two days a week; Saturday and Sunday morning about an hour after I wake up; it's the only time I can workout. I backload on the night before each workout and that's all fine.Would I be right in saying that so long as I change the weight of my dumbbells every 8 weeks, I should continue to see big gains, or do I have to change up the weight of my dumbbells during the workouts to keep the muscles guessing and increase muscle size quicker?I'm not worried too much about strength, as size is my main goal; however, I don't want to just be big and have no strength at all, just, my goal is size 1st, strength 2nd; this might change given your guys' opinion..I'll be switching my dumbbells from 8.8 KG per dumbbell to 12 KG per dumbbell in my workout today so I wanted advice as I find it very frustrating trying to find answers from other sites and articles around the net whereby every one has a different approach.I'd appreciate any insight and advice you guys have to help me reach my goals.  😀

CaseyD

Progressive overload. You need to increase the load every single workout to keep progress going. This could be more reps, sets, or weight, but you need to keep it moving. In other words, 8 weeks is way too long to be sticking with the same weight.Also, if you're truly serious about putting on some muscle, find some way to get at least one more workout in per week.Oh and last thing, you mentioned your workout days, but not what you actually do, so it's impossible for us to know if you're on the right track or not.

Rsaeire
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. When I start at a certain weight, I generally increase sets as I get stronger but, up until now, I've never made note of when this occurs, I've just changed it up, e.g. adding more sets, increasing weight, when it felt like I should. What I mean by “felt” is when my muscles feel as if they're not being worked out enough, I don't feel a strain to finish the last set, don't feel fatigued the next day etc.My workout info is below so I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have. I'm currently only concentrating on the upper-half of my body but, once I get a workout bench, I'll start concentrating on the lower-half too. You can be as blunt as you wish in your critique, by the way, as no doubt what I'm doing is ineffective:

workoutf.png

Lasse Elsbak
    Participant

You're using the same weight for flies and benchpress? O.o AND you're assuming you will progress equally on both? You call your first day back and biceps, but what you're working the most is shoulders. Way more than on your shoulder day. No leg work at all?I'm sorry man, but there's so much about this program - I don't know where to start.

Rsaeire
    Participant

I know, with regards to the chest, that I'm going to need a barbell and much more weight to see big gains; I'm still trying to decide on a workout bench at the moment so I can work this into my workout.I'm not surprised you don't know where to start cause I feel out of my depth to be honest.

Maybe you should download the Shockwave book to and sorta use it as a guide.You'd be better off doing push/pull split with some legs on both days then what you have.You HAVE to work legs.Many people say not working legs was their biggest starting mistake.If you had to do just 2 days do pulling movments (Rows, side laterals, sumo deadlift) and legs (dumbbell squat and lunge one day and pushing (Bench, shoulder press, lateral raises) and legs again.Don't do legs both days if you do it back to back.You are also gonna need a bigger variety of weights.

sckiely
    Participant

Yes legs will bring the most growth EVERYWHERE, there is such a large hormone response that it will assist In upper body growth.Upper body/ lower body or a full body routine works too as long as you focus on all the right movements

Tomahawk

I would say get a bench and barbell as soon as possible. That will open you up to a WORLD of exercises. It doesnt surprise me that you havent made the kind of progess you would like with just one set of DBs.

RagE

Get a Barbell. Do squats. Do deadlifts, Do chins/pull ups. Do rows. Do Presses – Overhead and bench. If you do an overhead press, i reccomend doing them standing. Make sure your form is good. Try to lift more every time.

Rsaeire
    Participant

Thanks for all the advice. I've found it difficult, when it comes to what weight to use for the different exercises, since it all depends on an individual's strength. I knew that bench presses required a lot of weight; hence the question most people ask online “how much can you bench?” and the answers ending up in triple digits. I also assumed that most other exercises would use the same weight too, which is why I'm using one set of dumbbells.I don't know anyone that does weights, I've never worked out in a gym, so I've relied on the net to learn about what to do; which is probably the main reason why I'm doing a lot of things wrong.And it's not that I haven't made progress, I have, but I would say I could make much more progress with the right tools and knowledge so thanks again for all the advice.  😉

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I highly recommend you go to a gym.  Instead of your program I would just do these exercises:  Squats, Deadlifts, Pullups, Rows, Bench Press, and Overhead Press.  With just these exercises, you can get about 80% of the benefits I get and I do a full fledged 5 day a week program with asistance work.Workout three days a week preferably with a rest day following each workout.  Do three sets of 5-10 reps for each exercise.Back Day:Deadlifts (do sets of 5 reps, this is a big move)Bent-Over RowsPullups (Lat Pulldowns if you can't do pullups)Upper Body:Bench PressOverhead PressLegs:Squats (do 5 sets of 5, this is a big move as well and most people will tell you it is the most important exercise)Feel free to add curls, lateral raises, ab exercises wherever. 

Rsaeire
    Participant

Thanks for the advice ibobland!  8)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Dumbbell weight

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?