Elevated Glucose Levels Without Diabetes Can Damage Heart

• This topic has 3 voices and 2 replies.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Marcoh
    Keymaster

“Higher levels of blood sugar can cause heart injury even in patients who don't have diabetes or those who have no history of heart disease or failure.”Read this interesting article in Vol.4, No.6, June 2012 from the American Association of Critical-Care Nurses, which cites a study, "Chronic Hyperglycemia and Subclinical Myocardial Injury" in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology that states;"High blood sugar even at levels below the threshold for a diabetes diagnosis may cause cardiac damage independent of its role in developing atherosclerosis. Elevated levels of glycated hemoglobin were associated with troponin T, a protein that is a blood marker for heart damage, though at levels 10 times lower than those in patients treated for a heart attack.Our study hints at other potential pathways by which diabetes and elevated glucose are associated with heart disease.", Jonathan Rubin, study author and general internal medicine fellow, Johns Hopkins university School of Medicine, Baltimore, says in study information;"Mainly, glucose might not only be related to increased atherosclerosis, but potentially elevated glucose levels may directly damage cardiac muscle."Researches studied 9,662 participants, none of whom had known heart disease or history. The troponin T protein marker occurred in 66 percent of study participants using a high-sensitivity test; conventional tests detect it in only .07 percent of the population."Hyperglycemia and diabetes are known to be associated with an increased risk for heart attack and coronary disease and our study sheds some light on what may be happening," Elizabeth Selvin, study author and associate professor, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, says in study information. "Our results suggest that chronically elevated glucose levels may contribute to heart damage."My .02: Very interesting,I am glad I am eating primarily paleo, which maintains lower, stable levels of glucose, and will ultimately be switching over to strict Paleo once I'm done with Carb Nite. I wonder if the constant spiking of insulin and glucose levels from carb backloading or carb nite may actually be damaging to overall cardiovascular health? This study seems to suggest it would. I'd love to hear other's insight on the issue, especially Kiefer or Naomi.

monsieurjkb

“Our results suggest that chronically elevated glucose levels may contribute to heart damage.”

Key point.Even on CBL, the majority of the time, your blood glucose is low, like rock-bottom low. Nothing to worry about unless your fasting insulin levels are high or unless your carb-nites turn into carb-all-days everyday. You could do CNS for life not have any issues with heart damage or diabetes.

Naomi Most

"Our results suggest that chronically elevated glucose levels may contribute to heart damage."

Key point.Even on CBL, the majority of the time, your blood glucose is low, like rock-bottom low. Nothing to worry about unless your fasting insulin levels are high or unless your carb-nites turn into carb-all-days everyday. You could do CNS for life not have any issues with heart damage or diabetes.

Indeed.If you're following Paleo principles, which frequently hearken back to guesses at the evolutionary, environmental states of humans, then what you generally find is that humans were PROBABLY eating mostly high fat and high protein foods with punctuations of high-carbohydrate meals.Were they eating high-glycemic, through-the-roof-insulin-stimulating foods?No.But paleolithic humans also weren't trying to build enough muscle to squat 1200 pounds, either.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Elevated Glucose Levels Without Diabetes Can Damage Heart

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?