Exercises that target the serratus muscles

• This topic has 6 voices and 20 replies.
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Also – waiter carries.  Overhead carries are great at hitting the seratus and intercostals especially if you can maintain your torso upright.  Try doing single armed versions.

AdamFiddler

Also - waiter carries.  Overhead carries are great at hitting the seratus and intercostals especially if you can maintain your torso upright.  Try doing single armed versions.

Kettlebells seem ideal for these don't you think?

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Does anyone know how to blast away the serratus muscles?  My bodyfat is low enough to see them, but they don't pop out like abs and they look underdeveloped.

I believe they are hit during the DB Pullovers (or BB, if you so choose).  A lot of people don't do Pullovers, anymore.  Good old school move that Arnold swore by.  Great finisher to a chest, back or chest & back day.

Did you ever do Arnold's workouts he suggested in Education of a Bodybuilder?  It is a 6 day a week program where you do workouts with 50-60 sets.  You do a ton of antagonist supersets.  This is a huge no no, now a days, but I actually did grow.  Obviously though I had to use light weights, but when Arnold did them he was using really heavy weights.  A lot of us forget as to how gifted of a bodybuilder he really was.  Kiefer for instance has never even mentioned his name before to my knowledge.  We know now a days that that workout isn't really good, but it is a fun workout that gives you a massive pump and I would suggest doing it for fun one day.  If you are man enough...

Does anyone know how to blast away the serratus muscles?  My bodyfat is low enough to see them, but they don't pop out like abs and they look underdeveloped.

I believe they are hit during the DB Pullovers (or BB, if you so choose).  A lot of people don't do Pullovers, anymore.  Good old school move that Arnold swore by.  Great finisher to a chest, back or chest & back day.

Did you ever do Arnold's workouts he suggested in Education of a Bodybuilder?  It is a 6 day a week program where you do workouts with 50-60 sets.  You do a ton of antagonist supersets.  This is a huge no no, now a days, but I actually did grow.  Obviously though I had to use light weights, but when Arnold did them he was using really heavy weights.  A lot of us forget as to how gifted of a bodybuilder he really was.  Kiefer for instance has never even mentioned his name before to my knowledge.  We know now a days that that workout isn't really good, but it is a fun workout that gives you a massive pump and I would suggest doing it for fun one day.  If you are man enough...

I've never read that book.  I have, however, followed a modified split of Arnold's workout routine from '73-'75, which FLEX had printed a while ago.  The volume was pretty large, so I cut all sets of 5 to sets of 3, but remained in his rep ranges (and pyramid schemes) -- typically 6-10 reps, per working set (some as high as 12-15).  There were also some warm-up sets of 20 to as high as 45 reps.VERY good workouts!  I felt them, and I got results.  They work well for both bulking AND cutting.  Yes, he supersetted Bis / Tris, as well as Chest / Back.  Everything else was straight set.  I periodically go back to Arnold's routine, and always get results.Arnold wasn't a natural, but he was only juicing (small dose) 2 months per year (as was common back then).  His routines could work for anyone.  He was naturally-gifted, but with a little modification, anyone could achieve some solid results from his program.  In fact, the "Golden Era" programs are some of the best "Pro" routines out there.I'd stear clear of the crap the Pros use today.  They are all on WAY too much gear.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Yea that is one of the things about bodybuilding.  I think at the elite level, the winner (outside of the politics) is simply who is willing to do the most drugs.  All of those guys work hard, but I think the difference lies in the gear.

Yea that is one of the things about bodybuilding.  I think at the elite level, the winner (outside of the politics) is simply who is willing to do the most drugs.  All of those guys work hard, but I think the difference lies in the gear.

Very true... hence my recent fascination with the early guys... especially pre-Arnold.  That said, I wouldn't dismiss any Golden Era guys routine -- most of them weren't on THAT much gear.  Just tone the number of sets down... like 5 to 3, or 6 to 4.  Rep ranges are fine.  Even exercise selection and order are fine.I'd even do the 6 days a week, twice-a-days that Arnold did... IF I had the time.  ;DEven some of the 80's crop didn't juice too heavily... take Lee Haney, for instance.  His routines were TOTALLY do-able, and he believed in stimulation, not annihalation.I've even ran Dorian Yates' Blood & Guts routine with solid success.  The only issue with B&G, is one needs to REALLY understand how to work in a HIT lifting mindset... most people cannot put themselves into a deep-enough mental state to generate that kind of intensity (where you could end up puking from lifts).  Dorian was a beast!

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Exercises that target the serratus muscles

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?