Exercises that target the serratus muscles

• This topic has 6 voices and 20 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Does anyone know how to blast away the serratus muscles?  My bodyfat is low enough to see them, but they don't pop out like abs and they look underdeveloped.

Damon Amato
    Participant

Push-up plus, reverse cable side laterals, planks.

zewski

Gotta love wiki  ;D"All three parts described above pull the scapula forward around the thorax, which is essential for anteversion of the arm. As such, the muscle is an antagonist to the rhomboids. However, when the inferior and superior parts act together, they keep the scapula pressed against the thorax together with the rhomboids and therefore these parts also act as synergists to the rhomboids. The inferior part can pull the lower end of the scapula laterally and forward and thus rotates the scapula to make elevation of the arm possible. Additionally, all three parts can lift the ribs when the shoulder girdle is fixed, and thus assist in respiration. [1]The serratus anterior is occasionally called the "big swing muscle" or "boxer's muscle" because it is largely responsible for the protraction of the scapula — that is, the pulling of the scapula forward and around the rib cage that occurs when someone throws a punch.The serratus anterior also plays an important role in the upward rotation of the scapula, such as when lifting a weight overhead. It performs this in sync with the upper and lower fibers of the trapezius."So it sound like push up pluses like Dmunnee mentioned would be a good bet. Also try weighted pec minor dips with a forward lean (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IerK6jDwJN0), as well as being sure to add standing over head press.

Nman
    Participant

Another good one is when doing Incline (barbell or DB) hold the weights in the finished position (up high) and from there squeeze them up a little bit higher using the serratus.It's the same feel as doing a push up and then finishing the push up with the serratus.Just mess around with them but really focus on using the serratus.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Actually it wasn't the serratus muscles I was thinking about (I actually have very well developed serratus muscles due to my love of military presses), it is the intercoastals.  Having a six pack shows dedication, but having defined intercoastals is IMO the most incredible thing a physique could have.

Damon Amato
    Participant

Do you mean intercostals or iliocoastalis?

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Do you mean intercostals or iliocoastalis?

Whatever the thin muscles in between people's ribs.  I've heard that they only get activated through breathing and that you can't really train them, but I've seen some on guys that just absolutely pop out.  I was wondering if there is a way to train them.Check them out on this guy:  http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1406/9958060/18010536/282808302.jpg

Damon Amato
    Participant

You mean intercostals then, and what you're seeing in the picture is the origin of serratus anterior and partly latissimus dorsi fascia.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

You mean intercostals then, and what you're seeing in the picture is the origin of serratus anterior and partly latissimus dorsi fascia.

Insertions are completely genetic from what I know, so that look is either you have it or you don't?

Damon Amato
    Participant

I'm not sure what you mean.  Are you saying my biceps femoris can insert on a different area of the body than someone else?  Muscle origins and insertions don't vary.  They attach at the same sites on everyone, otherwise they wouldn't work how they are supposed to.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

They attach to the same muscles, tendons, and bones, but the position of the insertion can vary.  Like high vs low insertion for biceps?  My left bicep is long like a football and goes all the way down to my elbow, while my right bicep is like a basell and I have a gap in between it and my right elbow when my right bicep is flexed.

Damon Amato
    Participant

Sounds more like you previously tore your bicep tendon then.

AdamFiddler

Just read an EliteFTS forum thread on this topic where somebody recommended pullovers.  Seems pretty reasonable at first glance.-Adam

Does anyone know how to blast away the serratus muscles?  My bodyfat is low enough to see them, but they don't pop out like abs and they look underdeveloped.

I believe they are hit during the DB Pullovers (or BB, if you so choose).  A lot of people don't do Pullovers, anymore.  Good old school move that Arnold swore by.  Great finisher to a chest, back or chest & back day.

Damon Amato
    Participant

Landmines are great as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Exercises that target the serratus muscles

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?