"Fasted" vs. zero-cal training

• This topic has 5 voices and 10 replies.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

zewski

So according to the IF articles it seems that supposedly being carb-free causes your body to act as if it's in a fasted state minus the catabolic effects (such as mTOR shut down etc.). However, I've seen kiefer still recommend that HIIT and weight training is still MOST beneficial with absolutely zero cals, even fat.So...what gives? Why would being zero-carb reproduce the same hormonal environment, but not be as beneficial as zero-cal when training is involved? I know that fasted training boosts the GH response 2x, but wouldn't it be the same if all you had before training was some coconut oil?

Richard Schmitt

Thus why I posted my ther thread regarding calories. Curious about the “fasted state” and what's best for fat loss and all.

I know doing HIIT totally fasted causes you to use your own bodyfat for fuel thus increasing total fat loss rather then using and exogenous fuel.For lifting I know that Keifer has stated part of his recommendation is because he isn't totally sure what the effects of just some fat has on GH production compared to totally fasted. But having said that if you lift at say 5-6 pm and you haven't eating anything at all since 10pm the day before you'll like be weaker then you would if you hat some fat and maybe protein.Just my 2 cents.

Richard Schmitt

I know doing HIIT totally fasted causes you to use your own bodyfat for fuel thus increasing total fat loss rather then using and exogenous fuel.For lifting I know that Keifer has stated part of his recommendation is because he isn't totally sure what the effects of just some fat has on GH production compared to totally fasted. But having said that if you lift at say 5-6 pm and you haven't eating anything at all since 10pm the day before you'll like be weaker then you would if you hat some fat and maybe protein.Just my 2 cents.

I also wonder if someone can tell if they are using body fat to fuel HIIT, I ask because the other day I was doing HIIT, and after going all out, my body would start to feel like theres needles poking out. Felt very weird and hurt.

That's… Odd.I've never felt that myself.What was it your were doing?

Richard Schmitt

That's... Odd.I've never felt that myself.What was it your were doing?

I was doing all out, 45 second on with a 1:30~2 minute off(rest) period. I was on the stationary bike.

monsieurjkb

I'm pretty sure HIIT almost exclusively uses glycogen for fuel  while low intensity exercise predominately uses fat as fuel. Fat is not a quick enough fuel substrate for such energy-demanding movement. I thought the "fat-burning" effects of HIIT are due to the post-exercise effects. @zewski I was under the impression that being 'zero-carb' is essential for weight-training at least. I think Kiefer was just saying be calorie free bc of his lack of certainty (i.e. scientific support).Here's another 2 cents for someone more knowledgeable to mull over.

I should clarify.HIIT does use glycogen, but afterwards it increase your body's ability to use fat as feel do to the hormonal cascade it creates.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I think if you do HIIT in a glycogen depleted state you will use ketones, which as you know, are produced from fat.  Don't know for sure, but just a guess. 

I think if you do HIIT in a glycogen depleted state you will use ketones, which as you know, are produced from fat.  Don't know for sure, but just a guess.

This is something I've been trying to do some studying on lately because I'm curious.It seems to depend on the time you are doing it for. From personal experience doing something like Tabata I can rock out four minutes while glycogenDepleted, but if I try to do a a 20 minute sprint session I lose all intensity within 10-15 minutes ish.Just personal observation, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I experience the same thing.  I did Tabata's once and I actually was nauseous afterwards due to it being so intense.  I like to 5 hill sprints for HIIT.  Whenever I am glycogen depleted and I try them, my 4th and 5th hill sprint usually sucks.  Sometimes I wonder if there is even a point to doing them.  I make sure to rest plenty in between sprints.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

"Fasted" vs. zero-cal training

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?