Fats

• This topic has 7 voices and 21 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

6by6
    Keymaster

What brought this up is that I told my buddy I eat lean meats because chicken is cheaper than red meat and I get some of my fat from mayo cuz I like mayo on my chicken. I heard his jaw drop over the phone and he proceeded to explain how mayo has saturated fats and I pretty much have one week to live if I continue to eat mayo (slight embellishment). My understanding is that fat is fat and the only negative fats are trans fats. Not sure if this is accurate. Wanted to know others views on fats.

Damon Amato
    Participant

“fat is fat” is certainly not true.  Just google the different properties in saturated, polyunsaturated, monounsaturated fats.  IMO saturated fats get their bad rap because the food industry gave it to them somewhere in the late 80's I believe.  We all love our precious coconut oil and that is completely comprised of saturated fats, but it's lauric acid and is in fact very good for you.  That being said, mayonnaise I don't think has very much for healthy fats if any.  That shouldn't preclude other foods that are mainly fat though.

6by6

"fat is fat" is certainly not true.  Just google the different properties in saturated, polyunsaturated, monounsaturated fats.  IMO saturated fats get their bad rap because the food industry gave it to them somewhere in the late 80's I believe.  We all love our precious coconut oil and that is completely comprised of saturated fats, but it's lauric acid and is in fact very good for you.  That being said, mayonnaise I don't think has very much for healthy fats if any.  That shouldn't preclude other foods that are mainly fat though.

The problem with a google search is that a yields two completely opposite views. Some say saturated fat is good some say its bad. You just said saturated fat in coconut oil is good but the stuff in mayo is not. My understanding is that coconut oil is prefered but heavy cream is also a suitable fat. I have to pull out my carb nite book for this one but I am sure it also explained that a fat is a fat. I will have to do some more research on this one.

Jerad

Looking at my mayo I see (per serving, 1tbsp) 11g of fat, and only 1g saturated. Plus it lists 1g omega 6 and .8g omega 3. I'd say that's some good fat right there. Good thing too cause I use a lot of mayo.

6by6

Looking at my mayo I see (per serving, 1tbsp) 11g of fat, and only 1g saturated. Plus it lists 1g omega 6 and .8g omega 3. I'd say that's some good fat right there. Good thing too cause I use a lot of mayo.

I wondered where the rest of the fats came from cuz that only adds to 2.8.? I guess it doesnt matter good to know it has good fats.

Jerad

I wondered where the rest of the fats came from cuz that only adds to 2.8.? I guess it doesnt matter good to know it has good fats.

Haha sorry, here is the full breakdown of fats according to hellmann's website:Fat / Lipides 11 gSaturated 1 gTrans 0 gPolyunsaturated 2.5 gOmega-6 2 gOmega-3 .8 gMonounsaturated 5 g

6by6

Thanx for the update. Haha sorry, here is the full breakdown of fats according to hellmann's website:Fat / Lipides 11 gSaturated 1 gTrans 0 gPolyunsaturated 2.5 gOmega-6 2 gOmega-3 .8 gMonounsaturated 5 g

Richard Schmitt

Sooo…mayo is not all that bad for you??? So if I was going to get some plain tuna, with mustard, steamed broccoli, and spinach, and for the fats can add a little bit of mayo or stick to cheese??

calebsmitty

Mayo is fine.  If you are really concerned buy OliveOil Mayo.  If the Mayo is high in PolyUnsat.Fat then find a different choice.  If you are interested in reading more about good fat choices.  Google John Meadows and Fat.  He has done a few articles on TNation.com about this very subject.

Richard Schmitt

Just found out the NOW Foods has this organic virgin coconut oil on bodybuilding.com that seems legit.

Naomi Most

Look up Chris Kresser and Dave Asprey. These guys actually read the latest scientific studies and have produced diets and advice based on the best knowledge available today. The rest of the internet, not so much.The whole "saturated fat causes heart disease" thing was a myth to start with. (Read Gary Taubes' _Good Calories, Bad Calories_ to find out more about that.)The "fat scene" in general is awash with bad information based on received wisdom that was never true to begin with. (Sound familiar?)  E.g. oils pressed from seeds? Not such a good idea in most cases...

Jerad

Look up Chris Kresser and Dave Asprey. These guys actually read the latest scientific studies and have produced diets and advice based on the best knowledge available today. The rest of the internet, not so much.The whole "saturated fat causes heart disease" thing was a myth to start with. (Read Gary Taubes' _Good Calories, Bad Calories_ to find out more about that.)The "fat scene" in general is awash with bad information based on received wisdom that was never true to begin with. (Sound familiar?)  E.g. oils pressed from seeds? Not such a good idea in most cases...

If that book is a TL;DR for anyone, watch Fat head which says a lot of the same things and references the book several times in the movie. it's what got me out of the "fats r bad!" mentality and realizing it's probably my carb intake that's killing me.

6by6

+1 for Fat HEads very good movie and you can watch it on hulu.

theilercabin

Guys/Dolls,I am attaching a fantastic, science backed article that covers Saturated fats vs. Unsaturated fats.  You make up your own opinion after reading this.  I would then suggest reading anything else that may or may not refute what Dr. Peat has to say.  I have a lot of respect for Dr. Peat.  After actually spending the time to learn more about cooking oils and such, I was completely blown away at what I didn't know.See for yourself.

robhally

Very interesting read. I'd love to read some more articles like this.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Fats

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?