First meal on Carb Nite

• This topic has 3 voices and 6 replies.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Cropsy

I'm trying to make that first PWO meal on Carb Nite as optimal as possible (sweet potatoes, lean chicken breast, a moderate amount of veg). I understand it is best to keep fat as low as possible in this crucial first carb meal, but I need some type of fat to roast potatoes and chicken in. Would a moderate amount of coconut oil be okay for this or is that too much fat?Or should I just steam everything? Bland but... maybe best option?Thanks.

The point of Carb Nite is to spike insulin high and long (6 hours) in order to up-regulate important metabolic hormones (leptin, ghrelin) that are becoming down-regulated by the preceding days' ultra-low-carbing.Fat blunts your insulin response - the greater the amount fat, the greater the blunting effect.Therefore the Carb Nite meal that provides the optimal insulin response, and thus optimal up-regulation, would contain as little fat as possible.That said, the optimal Carb Nite meal for you is one that means you are most likely to stick consistently to the diet for the amount of time required to achieve your goals. If roast potatoes mean you are happier and more likely to stick to the diet than boiled potatoes, then go with it! Just try and minimize the fat where possible (you can be looser with the fat in the last couple of hours of Carb Nite).If it helps: I boil my rice and bake my potatoes on Carb Nite, and then slather them in sugary sauces to achieve the 'moisture' needed to enjoy them, e.g. ketchup, BBQ sauce, Thai dipping sauce, sweet chili sauce, etc.. (yes they contain fructose, but that's pretty much my only fructose on Carb Nite). Also, 'no-fat' sauces often make up for the lack of fat with added sugar.PS - yep, I imagine coconut oil would be better than other oils due to its MCT content - anyone please correct me if wrong!

Cropsy

Thanks. I really appreciate all the great info on this forum!

RagE

I would stay away from the vegetables. fiber can blunt insulin.

mTOR

you can use MCT oil on your potatoes, roast them and after you roasted them use MCT oil on top, or coconut oil, pure MCT oil works best. dont eat veg. you could also suppelment with a shake with leucine, hydrolzed protein and some dextrose to get and even higher insulin respons.hope this might help you. also remember to eat some fat and proteins a few hours before you start eating carbs...

Cropsy

Yep, I'm all good with the fat and protein earlier in the day and I will have a PWO shake with Whey, Dextrose, and Leucine about an hour or so before that first proper carb nite meal. I will cut back on the veg too.So, please excuse my ignorance, but why is MCT acceptable on the potatoes when the likes of olive oil would not be? Is it because MCT is absorbed faster and spikes ketones? I know in the book Kiefer writes that olive oil with a high carb meal is not so great because of fat cell filling or something.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

If you are looking for the most optimal meal, you can do better than sweet potatos.  Sticky Rice or Jasmine Rice would be better options.  If you do want to do sweet potatos, make sure you bake them as long as possible.  I wouldn't cook them any other way (boiling, frying, ect.) because how glycemic sweet potatos are depend heavily on how to they are cooked.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First meal on Carb Nite

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?