Fish Oil Question

• This topic has 3 voices and 7 replies.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

dawatts22

In the Sean Hyson interview Kiefer states that the proven amount of DHA & EPA is 5g a day.  Is that combined or is that 5g of each?

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

No it is 5 g of EPA and DHA combined or 5 g of Omega-3 total.  It is no different than what is suggested in the CBL book.  I think Kiefer got this number from the FDA because I believe they state the max amount fish oil derived omega-3 a person can take safely is 5 g.  Some people will have problems if they have more than that.  The whole thing assumes that you aren't getting nearly enough of EPA and DHA, which is really lacking in modern diets.  Even the most strict Paleo people on here probably aren't getting enough without supplementation.

dawatts22

No it is 5 g of EPA and DHA combined or 5 g of Omega-3 total.  It is no different than what is suggested in the CBL book.  I think Kiefer got this number from the FDA because I believe they state the max amount fish oil derived omega-3 a person can take safely is 5 g.  Some people will have problems if they have more than that.  The whole thing assumes that you aren't getting nearly enough of EPA and DHA, which is really lacking in modern diets.  Even the most strict Paleo people on here probably aren't getting enough without supplementation.

But if I take 5g of fish oil Im getting: Omega-3 Fatty Acids (EPA 2500mg, DHA 1562mg, Other Omega-3 Fatty Acids 937mg) or 4g of EPA/DHA.  And according to Kiefer that isnt enough. Kiefer stated:  "The omega-3’s increase efficiency of nutrient flow and hormonal signaling to the cell membranes. It really doesn’t matter when you take them, as long as they don’t interfere with your insulin spike… And to be clear, it’s five grams of EPA and DHA, not just five grams of fish oil. So that will increase the dose of actual fish oil you have to take."Maybe he means 5g EPA/DHA total but it still doesnt seem clear.

monsieurjkb

Even the most strict Paleo people on here probably aren't getting enough without supplementation.

To hit 5g total per day is something near a pound of sardines daily. This makes me wonder if Kiefer's concern is 'getting enough' to be healthy or, like most recs, getting what's optimal for performance.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

It's perfectly clear, take 5 g of EPA/DHA combined.  I take NOW Ultra Omega 3.  Each 1 g capsule has 250 mg of EPA and 500 mg of DHA.  Thats a total of 750 mg of Omega-3.  I take 6 pills so that is 6 g of fish oil and 4.5 g of Omega 3.  Here is how you can determine how many capsules to take.  Find out how much EPA and DHA are in one capsule. EPA (mg) + DHA (mg) = Omega 3 (mg)Omega 3 (mg) / 1000 (mg/g) = Omega 3 (g)5 (g) / Omega 3 (g) = # of fish oil capsules to takeI personally would round down, but it really doesn't matter.  The amount of FISH OIL is irrelevant.

monsieurjkb

It's perfectly clear, take 5 g of EPA/DHA combined. The amount of FISH OIL is irrelevant.

Correct. Check your labels and servings etc.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Even the most strict Paleo people on here probably aren't getting enough without supplementation.

To hit 5g total per day is something near a pound of sardines daily. This makes me wonder if Kiefer's concern is 'getting enough' to be healthy or, like most recs, getting what's optimal for performance.

The 5 g is the max number you should get from supplementing.  Not how much EPA/DHA you should get daily.

dawatts22

It's perfectly clear, take 5 g of EPA/DHA combined.  I take NOW Ultra Omega 3.  Each 1 g capsule has 250 mg of EPA and 500 mg of DHA.  Thats a total of 750 mg of Omega-3.  I take 6 pills so that is 6 g of fish oil and 4.5 g of Omega 3.  Here is how you can determine how many capsules to take.  Find out how much EPA and DHA are in one capsule. EPA (mg) + DHA (mg) = Omega 3 (mg)Omega 3 (mg) / 1000 (mg/g) = Omega 3 (g)5 (g) / Omega 3 (g) = # of fish oil capsules to takeI personally would round down, but it really doesn't matter.  The amount of FISH OIL is irrelevant.

Ok.  I take a few Tbsp a day so I think ive got it covered.  I just wanted to make sure I was taking enough.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Fish Oil Question

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?