French fries

• This topic has 4 voices and 11 replies.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

lerouquin
    Keymaster

Maybe I missed this in the book, but is an order of fast food french fries OK on a carb nite? I was thinking about them for my first carb nite and I can't seem to get that craving out of my head. I am huge fan of sweet potato fries, but I already know that those would be off limits on CN. 🙂Thanks for helping me out with my noobish question!

Damon Amato
    Participant

sweet potato fried are actually probably much better than regular fries.  The sweet potato raises insulin levels moreso than white potatoes.  For me, not much better to start carb nite than a double cheeseburger and fries from Five Guys.

Petey G

White potato raises your blood Sugar 30% higher then sweet potato

zewski

Absolutely nothin wrong with that bro!If that's going to be your first meal on carb nite, I would have a pwo shake thats high in protein and fast-acting carbs first.Basically start with higher levels of protein and simple carbs and add in fattier things later. This is because your insulin will spike and come back down before the fat is metabolized so it shouldn't cause a problem. Fat takes much longer to get digested.From the book:"Because of the potential body fat gain, try to make thefirst meal or snack of the night lower in fat, but do notworry about going extremely low-fat. Choose chickenover beef, salmon over sausage. As the evening unfolds,don’t feel like you can’t have some donuts, a piece ofcheesecake or a helping of peach cobbler—indulge."Kiefer explains why much more eloquently than I ever could in one of his interviews (I think it's the one with Tanner fox on DH.com, but I'm not sure).Also, treat yourself to a nice burger joint rather than a fast-food place. Simply because the chances of the restaurant using trans-fats is much lower, where at a McD's it's almost a given.Hope this helped  😀

lerouquin

Thanks for the help! Done and done. I can't wait for my carb nite.

Damon Amato
    Participant

Touché. I am corrected. ---I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?td4zgq

lerouquin

So I can have sweet potato fries and the sugar impact is lower on the blood? BONUS!

bako71

or you can do both!  After the post workout carbs and protein shake, I like a healthier carbnite 1st meal then finish the night with desserts.  I actually had a red potato and a yam/sweet potato last night for carbnite.

Petey G

If you dont supplement your carb nite pwo shake with a carb supplement, I would start your 1st meal with a simple carb meal for the faster insulin spike. I believe sweet potatoes would be a complex carb.

zewski

So I can have sweet potato fries and the sugar impact is lower on the blood? BONUS!

I think you're missing the point of Carb NiteYou WANT to spike insulin! This means that you would favor white rice to brown, white taters to yams, etc.This doesn't mean don't enjoy your meals. Just don't go eating only low-gi foods to avoid "impacting the blood"Kiefer addresses this directly in the FAQ's of the book

lerouquin

My bad! Thanks for setting me straight.

zewski

My bad! Thanks for setting me straight.

No prob brah  ;D

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

French fries

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?