Fruit and CBL

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Scott Claremont
    Participant

In theory, having fruit during the day on CBL, coupled WITH protein and plenty of fat (smoothie) should keep insulin levels still low enough?

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

If you stick to things like berries, fruit is fine when you are ULC. Just watch the carbs.

Tony Sangimino

I actually just responded to this on the FB but I’ll expand on it here. Insulin is only one of the issues here. Fructose will still alter the substrate utilization to be more carb dominant than fat, which is something we want to avoid. What’s interesting is that the fructose content in a low GI meal can change the substrate utilization as much as a high GI meal without fructose.

This is why people doing faux-CBL or CN diets with added fruit in the middle of the day do not see results. Unless they’re used to a high carb diet, don’t do an adjustment period, and are simply losing water from switching to a lower carb diet. This approach is not sustainable however, since you constantly feel like shit because you’re not metabolically flexible.

Scott Claremont
    Participant

“Fructose will still alter the substrate utilization to be more carb dominant than fat, which is something we want to avoid.”

But how much fructose is needed for this to occur? I’m talking half an apple which contains about 10g’s of carb’s coupled with about 3 tbsp of coconut oil and nuts. Would not the amount have to be at least above 10g’s per meal of carbs for this to happen?

Basically this is my second time around on CBL, I’m cutting out processed carbs (ice cream, etc) and I’m getting too lean for my liking. First time around I was thicker, didn’t really need to lift heavy to put weight on. This time Im more muscular than before, stronger and sitting around 10-12% bf but wanting to go for more of a thicker look 13-15%. That’s why I’m thinking of adding the fruit for a small while to “fat’n” up. I’m also thinking of adding more fat during the day than protein as another way to put weight on. Have you any other suggestions for clean CBL regarding weight?

cheers

Tony Sangimino

There’s not a ton of research pointing to specific amounts, so I’m unsure.

That being said if you want to gain weight, have more food carbohydrates in the PM. It’s pretty simple.

Scott Claremont
    Participant

Ok thanks for the more detailed reply tony, will play around with things.

On a side note if you wouldn’t mind, what’s your background regarding all things CBL CN? nutrition and dietetics, scientist etc? I’m looking at studying something to do with the body and food, just curious of other people’s footing in the field

cheers

Tony Sangimino

I got involved with CBL in 07 when things were still Dangerously Hardcore. I’m an international competitor in judo and was the strength and conditioning coach at the Jason Morris Judo Center, which is an Olympic Training Site. Got really into nutrition and exercise science in my teens, which lead to Kiefer, and have used these protocols on elite athletes and weekend warriors for years now.

Scott Claremont
    Participant

That’s great, thanks for letting me know. Have you any suggestions in re to getting involved with nutrition and dietetics in regard to the research and science world?

Tony Sangimino

Have a solid understanding of cell biology and metabolism.

Look at research objectively, second guess yourself often, and don’t be afraid to interpret things for yourself because that’s what everyone else does until there’s a solid consensus.

Scott Claremont
    Participant

Sweet good points, thank you. I was more so talking in re to a university degree. It seems that you have research teams in the field working with you guys

Makoto Tomizawa
    Participant

^Curious as well. I already graduated (no offense to Guitar Jon and Phx, but with a rather useless Bachelor’s degree in music) but science relating to biology/nutrition/exercise really intrigue me (I probably spent more time reading articles and studies during college than practicing my instrument). I’ve been doing some research when I have the time in regards to how to get into one/some of those fields.

Training Log: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vuwHRdBaPVILxxLhXly_N1Ys66Hcwk4j-bM7nvKSLrI/edit?usp=sharing

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Fruit and CBL

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?