FRUSTRATED AND CONFUSED

• This topic has 9 voices and 27 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

legion78

OK, what the hell am I doing wrong?Been testing out Carb nite for like 3 months now with NO results.........at the beginning it worked fine, I'll admit.......there were issues that led me to go off of it every now and then, but for the most part I have not had many carbs during the week when I was going through. I split my ratios 50% protein 50% fat............I powerlift so I need to amintain muscle mass and try to strip some BF off. Also Ive noticed that I get bolated very easily after a meal, even when protein and fat are the only things.........I should be eating every 3 hours but Im starting to get frustrated everytime I eat that the meal feels like it sits there forever and I feel like I do not digest well between meals. I need expert advice on what the hell to do now? My goal is to strip some god dan fat off and get down to 181lbs before the summer ends (Im 197 now).............like Ive said, Ive seen minimal progress from Carb Nite..............alot of it my OWN fault, but other than that.......nothing else. I know CB handles mostly fat loss and muscle retention, would that maybe work better for what Im aiming for?

OK, what the hell am I doing wrong?Been testing out Carb nite for like 3 months now with NO results.........at the beginning it worked fine, I'll admit.......there were issues that led me to go off of it every now and then, but for the most part I have not had many carbs during the week when I was going through. I split my ratios 50% protein 50% fat............I powerlift so I need to amintain muscle mass and try to strip some BF off. Also Ive noticed that I get bolated very easily after a meal, even when protein and fat are the only things.........I should be eating every 3 hours but Im starting to get frustrated everytime I eat that the meal feels like it sits there forever and I feel like I do not digest well between meals. I need expert advice on what the hell to do now? My goal is to strip some god dan fat off and get down to 181lbs before the summer ends (Im 197 now).............like Ive said, Ive seen minimal progress from Carb Nite..............alot of it my OWN fault, but other than that.......nothing else. I know CB handles mostly fat loss and muscle retention, would that maybe work better for what Im aiming for?

Do you get enough fiber?  You could help the bloating by adding some fiber to your diet (Psyllium Husk, for instance).  There are zero usable carbs in PH, so you can have a couple servings (or more) a day.The fiber helped with the bloating, for me.Also, do you keep your useable carbs at or below 30g a day?  That is essential.  You need to run low-carb Keto-style for 6 days a week, with a Carb Nite each week (starting @ sundown).  Protein doesn't need to go higher than 1.3g/lb lean weight, and fat should be 50/50 with protein, but no less than 30/70 (fat/protein).

…also, what is your training like?  How much cardio are you doing, and when?

Damon Amato
    Participant

post a food log, maybe we can find an issue.

legion78

so far today……………8am: black coffee w/ 1tbs coconut oil 2 tbsp mct oil11 am: 3/4 cup egg whites w/ 6oz ham steak, 1 tbsp butter, 10 fish oil caps3 pm: 6.25 oz grilled chicken, 1 chicken sausage, 2 tbsp olive oil

zewski

Why are you eating every 3 hours? That's not suggested, and is probably hindering your results.Also, that's way too much MCT's in the morning. Stick with 1 T of EITHER coconut oil or mct's not both.Start a log, that's the best way to get tips/critiques.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

so far today...............8am: black coffee w/ 1tbs coconut oil 2 tbsp mct oil11 am: 3/4 cup egg whites w/ 6oz ham steak, 1 tbsp butter, 10 fish oil caps3 pm: 6.25 oz grilled chicken, 1 chicken sausage, 2 tbsp olive oil

Ok way to many MCTs in the coffee.  Even if you are 300 lbs that is too much.  How about 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and 1 tablespoon of butter or cream in the coffee?  Also you don't need to eat every three hours, actually that may be hindering results.  Also your technique of lean meat + oil really isn't that great.  Just eat meat with fat in it already.  I like 80/20 ground beef and bacon.  Even with your oil though I don't think you are getting enough fat.  Also eat whole eggs, not egg whites.  I think you are eating too much protein and not enough fat. 

so far today...............8am: black coffee w/ 1tbs coconut oil 2 tbsp mct oil11 am: 3/4 cup egg whites w/ 6oz ham steak, 1 tbsp butter, 10 fish oil caps3 pm: 6.25 oz grilled chicken, 1 chicken sausage, 2 tbsp olive oil

First, cut the fat out of your morning coffee entirely, or lower it to one choice of those fat.  I had the same problem, and now I have 16oz black coffee in the morning (no fat), and 16 oz black coffee w/ 1 tbsp coconut oil pre-workout.  I am seeing results @ 2 lbs lost per week, now.  For a week or so (after re-orientation), my fat loss had flatlined.Second, you start eating at 11am... does this mean your last meal was finished by 11pm the night previous?  Ensure you are getting a full 12 hour fast, from dinner, to first meal the following day.  This is also why you don't want too much fat in your morning coffee... it can halt the fast.Everything else looks fine.  You could replace the egg whites with whole eggs, thereby adding some more fats.If the rest of your day looks much like this, where are your fiber sources?  That might be an issue for bloating / digestion.  Either add some psyllium husk, or add some spinach to your meals (for instance).I eat every 3-4 hours, myself... so, that may not be an issue.  Ensure you are drinking plenty of water.  Sometimes you can mistake thirst for hunger.Cory

legion78

ok guys, today I cut back on so many fats in the coffee.7am: fasted sprints on treadmill8am: 8oz coffee w/ 1 tbsp coconut oil11:30 am: 1/2 cup egg whites w/2 whole eggs, 1tbsp butterIm going to incormprate more fatty meats like recommended, 80/20 burgers, fatty steaks. As for leaner meats like chicken or turkey, I'll add in bacon to them. No where I get confused is Im trying to figure out my macro requirements for my LBM %, is that wrong or keep that just adjust fat intake to mimic a 60/40 or 70/30 protein split. Should I also have a maximum daily calorie intake as well. I also train 4 days a week (powerlifting) and usually after Im done will be my first solid food meal, or shake..............any suggestions on what I should focus on PWO in order to maximize the fat burning.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

No one on here really counts anything, but if you would like some numbers here is a good guidline:1. Stay under 30 g of carbs each day (except for Carb Nite obviously!), excluding fiber2. In each meal, for each gram of protein you consume, consume at least one gram of fat.  This works out to be about 70% fat 30% protein by calories.3. Eat enough that you aren't hungry, but not until you are stuffed.  A good guidline is to eat about 1 g of fat/lb of bodyweight and 1 g of protein/lb of bodyweight each day.  I doubt you will need more than this and if you don't feel like eating this much, don't sweat it.

ok guys, today I cut back on so many fats in the coffee.7am: fasted sprints on treadmill8am: 8oz coffee w/ 1 tbsp coconut oil11:30 am: 1/2 cup egg whites w/2 whole eggs, 1tbsp butterIm going to incormprate more fatty meats like recommended, 80/20 burgers, fatty steaks. As for leaner meats like chicken or turkey, I'll add in bacon to them. No where I get confused is Im trying to figure out my macro requirements for my LBM %, is that wrong or keep that just adjust fat intake to mimic a 60/40 or 70/30 protein split. Should I also have a maximum daily calorie intake as well. I also train 4 days a week (powerlifting) and usually after Im done will be my first solid food meal, or shake..............any suggestions on what I should focus on PWO in order to maximize the fat burning.

First -- no need to do cardio, but if you do, limit it to the day, or two, after a Carb Nite.  So, if you CN on Sat., only do some HIIT on Sun. and Mon., no more than 20-30 mins. tops.As for macros, no one really tracks them.  I, for instance, know what my intake is -- but, I wasn't trying to hit any specific numbers.  When I designed my diet, I noted total calories, fats, carbs, prot., fiber, and useable carbs.  That is just the bodybuilder in me, I cannot help it.That said, if I feel a bit hungry one day or the next, it won't stop me tossing back some extra eggs or something -- like a nice omelette.  I eat until I am full.My protein is at approx. 1.3g/lb lean bodyweight.  My fat is 30%/70% (fat/protein).  I know most will say keep it 50/50, but 30/70 is working for me, where 50/50 was slowing me down.  Useable carbs I keep as far below 30g/day, as I can.

legion78

ibobland: OK, I know the theory is easy, but for me some how applicaiton is hard. So just eat when hungry, 3-4-5 times is not the issue, just eat when hungry, right. Also make sure to have fat with protein, does it have to come from mostly saturated sources or try and be clean with the fat as well. Anything else Im missing…….oh what about PWO, what would be bestCoryMcC: the reason for the sprints is to accelerate fat loss..........and doing it fasted has proven results on fat loss while sparing musle loss. Plus, I need to be a bit more athletic anyways....no reason to look good but not BE good.

ibobland: OK, I know the theory is easy, but for me some how applicaiton is hard. So just eat when hungry, 3-4-5 times is not the issue, just eat when hungry, right. Also make sure to have fat with protein, does it have to come from mostly saturated sources or try and be clean with the fat as well. Anything else Im missing.......oh what about PWO, what would be bestCoryMcC: the reason for the sprints is to accelerate fat loss..........and doing it fasted has proven results on fat loss while sparing musle loss. Plus, I need to be a bit more athletic anyways....no reason to look good but not BE good.

No doubt.  I am a martial artist, competative, so I understand the need for functionality & athleticism (as well).That said, you might find too much cardio counter-productive on this diet... it isn't even suggested, but if done... it should be limited to the day or two after CN.  20-30 minutes, HIIT-style.  That seems to be the going idea.Apparently, from what I gather, doing too much cardio on CNS can hinder fat loss, and even catabolize muscle tissue.  This may be specific to HIIT cardio, though.  I would need clarification.

Chuck

Yea when I was on carb nite I would do HITT the day after carb nite, this will deplete whatever glycogen is lingering. Then stick to heavy lifting the rest of the week. Eventually you become skinny fat and will have to transition to CBL SA, to lean, and shred. But I was getting some really good muscle gains on CN, and Kiefer said that is common for newbies. I went from 215lbs to 190lbs, and had fun doing it. But good luck and find a Veteran on the forums to copy their diet, and exercise program.

vgtek
    Participant

Chuck:  Sorry, can you explain what you mean by “Skinny Fat”?  Thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

FRUSTRATED AND CONFUSED

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?