GMO Corn

• This topic has 3 voices and 5 replies.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Damon Amato
    Participant

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/09/110919074242.htmBeing that corn sugar, or dextrose, is great for backloading, does it matter that almost all corn is GMO?  This study (sort of) claims that the RNA gets into host bloodstream, meaning it does make a difference.  That's pretty much the extent of my expertise, I'd be curious to know if anyone knowledgeable in this area thinks GMO food can be detrimental and why.

Articles like this are so uninformative… without the actual study to read its more of a thought provoking statement not an OMG RNA all up in my cereal Example... and their main reason"has significantly expanded the functions of miRNAs"Who is it significant to? and what does significant mean mathematically

Damon Amato
    Participant

I tried getting the actual article, couldn't find it.  Best I could do was this article about that research :-

Naomi Most

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/09/110919074242.htmBeing that corn sugar, or dextrose, is great for backloading, does it matter that almost all corn is GMO?  This study (sort of) claims that the RNA gets into host bloodstream, meaning it does make a difference.  That's pretty much the extent of my expertise, I'd be curious to know if anyone knowledgeable in this area thinks GMO food can be detrimental and why.

Not really. Dextrose is a fractionated food product. It would surprise me greatly to learn that any miRNA were present in greater than homeopathic concentrations.miRNA has been a really fascinating series of discoveries over the past few years, and yes, genetically modified foods do present problems. But I wouldn't worry about things like (for example) whey protein, dextrose, rilose, and so on, which have been extruded, centrifuged, filtered, etc from the stuff of its origins.

Damon Amato
    Participant

Not really. Dextrose is a fractionated food product. It would surprise me greatly to learn that any miRNA were present in greater than homeopathic concentrations.miRNA has been a really fascinating series of discoveries over the past few years, and yes, genetically modified foods do present problems. But I wouldn't worry about things like (for example) whey protein, dextrose, rilose, and so on, which have been extruded, centrifuged, filtered, etc from the stuff of its origins.

Do you know what these problems are?  I never find much research on it.  Literally the only interesting thing I've found is that GMO corn can contain high amounts of aluminum, but I don't even have any clue why.

Naomi Most

The issues that miRNA raises with regards to GMO foods regard our total lack of understanding of how these compounds may (or may not) affect humans, animals, and other life forms.  We have seen that miRNA persists in mammals, including humans, and even may form the basis of foods' and supplements' mood-changing (for example) effects on us.Since the existence of miRNA's ability to make intracellular jumps is a very recent discovery, direct studies of GMO foods with regards to any lasting effects they may have on humans and animals just don't really exist yet.So that's all there is to it: we've unleashed organisms into the world that we don't fully understand, and the depth of our dangerous ignorance has just been made obvious to us.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

GMO Corn

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?