Hardgainer tips?

• This topic has 5 voices and 8 replies.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Cropsy

Hi all,So, my brother has noticed I have put on considerable size in the past few months (since starting CNS would you believe) and wants in on the action, but there are a few problems / challenges...1: I have no illusions about being a trainer or dietician; I just try my best for me and have had some good results. I hate the idea of just jumping in and presuming I could do the work of a real trainer. But I guess I'm his only option.2: My brother is what you would call a classic 'hardgainer' (about 6'1, 147 lb.), the type that slams down carbs (bagels, donuts, pizza, you name it) for breakfast, lunch, and dinner with a snack of potato chips to boot and does not put on weight. Whereas I am one of those people that looks at a bagel and puts on weight.3: He is a staunch vegetarian and will not eat eggs (he might bend on this one).4: When it comes to weight-lifting, he is a newbie.So, any help would be much appreciated. Any 'hardgainers' with similar stats who have had good results? Since he seems to be what Dr. Peter Attia would probably call 'insulin sensitive', should I try him on CBL or just tell him to eat carbs all day (what he does anyway) but with more protein and fat?As for training, I was thinking of trying him on Wendler's Boring But Big program (which I am currently on). Thoughts?Thanks in advance.

Damon Amato
    Participant

will he do  whey isolate?  If so, CBL might be ok.  If not, good luck?  It'll be pretty damn hard to get enough high quality protein while on CNS anyway.  In either case, make sure he gets enough B6 and B12.  Not very easy for a vegetarian.

pshannon

I would have to agree. Without ample supplies a hardgainer will never be able to put on weight.

Richard Schmitt

Try and slowly convince him out of the vegetarian stage. Not to kill anyone's beliefs or anything, but honestly taking the CNS/CBL way of eating will probably be best in the long run. Especially if he wants to put on some muscle. I know one thing working with family on this is not to push the issue or force it on them. I did this a couple years back with one of my brothers, and ended badly. Now I offer, suggest, and help rather than force-feed anything. So far they cooperate. Good luck though.

Cropsy

Thanks for the input guys. Yep, he'll do Whey and Creatine, no problem, and I've told him he'll definitely need a multi-vitamin. So that's all good. But what about meal timing? Should he keep the carbs PWO or does that matter for a hardgainer? Also, would the old exhausting 6 meals a day routine benefit someone like this? I'm thinking lots of cottage cheese and mixing eggs into beans etc.Tex, I know what you mean about family, ha, ha, and there is no way he will budge from his vegetarianism.And what about the training? Do you think the Boring But Big routine would be suitable?

Richard Schmitt

Thanks for the input guys. Yep, he'll do Whey and Creatine, no problem, and I've told him he'll definitely need a multi-vitamin. So that's all good. But what about meal timing? Should he keep the carbs PWO or does that matter for a hardgainer? Also, would the old exhausting 6 meals a day routine benefit someone like this? I'm thinking lots of cottage cheese and mixing eggs into beans etc.Tex, I know what you mean about family, ha, ha, and there is no way he will budge from his vegetarianism.And what about the training? Do you think the Boring But Big routine would be suitable?

Is he wanting to do CNS or CBL? If CBL then try for two meals Pre training, PWO shake, dinner and a big carb loaded dessert? Possibly might work. Boring but big should put something on him. Good luck once again. Maybe he'll come around with going with meats.

monsieurjkb

+1 to Tex's recommendations.Just a thought on the veg problem though. If he is veg for 'health reasons' you might be able to appeal to journals/studies/reason to show he's mistaken about animal products. However, if it's for 'ethical/emotional reasons' it truly is not worth pursuing.1. Aren't eggs okay for vegetarians? Will he concede to fish? Shellfish?2. There's no place for beans in either CBL or CNS. Also, there is a vegetarian on here who seems to be doing well on one of the diets (Cory something?) but he includes ample eggs, cheese and butter.

Cropsy

Thanks again Tex, and thanks Monsieurjkb. Yes, his vegetarianism is for ethical beliefs so it's a total no-go.He doesn't know anything about CNS or CBL and just wants to put on size. He will eat eggs if they're sort of 'hidden', for example, french toast 🙂I will check out Cory's log. Thanks again.

Damon Amato
    Participant

So in other words, conveniently ethical beliefs?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hardgainer tips?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?