Harvard says coffee is good for you – or at least NOT BAD.

• This topic has 3 voices and 3 replies.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Naomi Most

As if you needed any more vindication of your coffee habit.http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/questions/coffee/

We looked at the relationship between coffee consumption and overall mortality in the Nurses' Health Study and the Health Professionals Follow-Up Study, which together included about 130,000 study volunteers. (1) At the start of the study, these healthy men and women were in their 40s and 50s. We followed them for 18 to 24 years, to see who died during that period, and to track their diet and lifestyle habits, including coffee consumption. We did not find any relationship between coffee consumption and increased risk of death from any cause, death from cancer, or death from cardiovascular disease. Even people who drank up to six cups of coffee per day were at no higher risk of death. This finding fits into the research picture that has been emerging over the past few years: For the general population, the evidence suggests that coffee drinking doesn't have any serious detrimental health effects.

IOWA.PharmD

I think that same study showed daily use of a multi-vite could be harmful. Thought that was interesting.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I think that same study showed daily use of a multi-vite could be harmful. Thought that was interesting.

I'm not sure if this is the same study you are talking about, but I recall a study they claimed that based on the fact that people who took multi-vitamins were less healthy than those who didn't take ones.This is ridiculous of course because most likel it just means that people who take multi-vitamins are just more likely to make unhealthy choices.

Naomi Most

I'm not sure if this is the same study you are talking about, but I recall a study they claimed that based on the fact that people who took multi-vitamins were less healthy than those who didn't take ones.This is ridiculous of course because most likel it just means that people who take multi-vitamins are just more likely to make unhealthy choices.

Yes, that multivitamin study was rubbish -- or at least, the way the press reported it was total rubbish. The only thing they demonstrated was that there is a correlation between people who are likely to take multivitamins and an increased likelihood of earlier-than-average death.  Which to me says that the type of people who take multivitamins are the sort who think they can eat a whole lot of junk and "make up for it" with a pill.I happen to believe that vitamins just make your pee more expensive.  But Kiefer recommends them invariably.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Harvard says coffee is good for you – or at least NOT BAD.

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?