Hello from an old Newbie

• This topic has 6 voices and 7 replies.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

fallsfalcon
    Keymaster

Hello,New to this site. I am considering purchasing the book on carb back loading. I am 55 years old and would like to re-engineer my body.  I am not horribly obese, probably 25% body fat. I would like to weight train but dont want to lift massive amounts of weight. Can I succeed by other weightlifting methods? I guess I dont want to lift like a powerlifter. Thanks! Any feedback would be appreciated.

Welcome fallsfalcon!Carb Backloading (CBL) works best when lifting heavy stuff - the diet works with and around the changes in the body that lifting heavy stuff causes.If your goals are to re-engineer your body then I presume part of that is fat-loss? If so, how about you try the Carb Nite Solution (CNS)? It's a diet designed for fat loss that doesn't *require* training, but any training you do will help improve results.Optimal training on CNS is to lift heavy stuff, but, if you don't want to go too heavy you don't have to.. whatever works best for you!Do you have any other questions?

IOWA.PharmD

Also, you don't necessarily to be considered a power lifter when you lift heavy. I would gauge myself as fairly strong, as in I lift heavy weights, but am not or do I look like a powerlifter. Even females who are trying for body recomp should be lifting heavy. It works wonders.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

It should be noted that lifting heavy means 70% of your max and above.  As long as you are doing 10 challenging reps or lesss per set, you should be fine.  If you don't want to lift heavy due to injury concerns, machines and isolation moves will work fine, so just do those.  You don't have to beat up your body with heavy squats, deadlifts, and presses for CBL.If you don't want to lift heavy because you don't want to put a lot of effort into weight training, than CBL is not for you, do Carb Nite instead.

fallsfalcon

Hello,Thanks for the responses, they helped a lot. I probably did not word my question very well. I have worked out very intensely via HIT routines etc. I guess my question was aimed more at the expectations that I had to bench 400lbs,squat 600lbs or dead lift tons to be successful with this. I am a big advocate of resistance training and this sound like the way I would like to re-engineer my body. Turning 55 years old soon is a wake up call that I don't want to be an ordinary 55 year old. Its time to do extraordinary things and I think this could be the vehicle to do it.

Naomi Most

Hello,Thanks for the responses, they helped a lot. I probably did not word my question very well. I have worked out very intensely via HIT routines etc. I guess my question was aimed more at the expectations that I had to bench 400lbs,squat 600lbs or dead lift tons to be successful with this. I am a big advocate of resistance training and this sound like the way I would like to re-engineer my body.

No, heck no.  You start with a weight that's right for YOU.  Find a weight you can move 8 to 12 times in a row, with the last few reps feeling "difficult".  Do that movement again for another set.  Then move on to another exercise.As you build strength and are able to perform more reps (more than 12), you should increase the weight. Very simple.It IS wise to focus your training around the "classic lifts" (and doing them well! important detail), but it'll be a long time for someone who has only just come to resistance training from HIIT (well done, btw) to get anywhere near a 600lb squat.

Turning 55 years old soon is a wake up call that I don't want to be an ordinary 55 year old. Its time to do extraordinary things and I think this could be the vehicle to do it.

Heck yeah!  You're in the right place.  🙂

fallsfalcon

I feel the warmth 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 I am buying today.

Kevin rogers
    Participant

Congrats, and you will be very happy you did.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hello from an old Newbie

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?