HIIT Before or After Resistance Training

• This topic has 8 voices and 22 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

mrsmith

Hi Guys,What are the benefits of performing HIIT before weights as opposed to after.Will i still be getting the benefits of HIIT if I was to perform it after weights?I want to perform HIIT to build up my endurance for soccer(which starts in 3 months). However my primary focus at the moment is strength/explosiveness, which is why i would like  to do HIIT after weights.

Fairy

I think only females should do Training + HIIT on the same day.

Damon Amato
    Participant

guys shouldn't perform HIIT within 2 hours or so of resistance training, females should do it directly after resistance training.

Richard Schmitt

guys shouldn't perform HIIT within 2 hours or so of resistance training, females should do it directly after resistance training.

+1

mrsmith

Thanks Guys,At the moment i dont have a two hour window before or after my workout during weeknights that i can do this in.I can probably allow for 2hrs on the weekends between HIIT and then Weights afterwards.So on Weeknights, what would allow me to do both while getting some benefit from it.- HIIT with a 15-30min Rest then Weights- Weights with a 15-30min Rest then HIIT- or would there not be enough benefit with such a short window between HIIT and Weights?

pshannon

Thanks Guys,At the moment i dont have a two hour window before or after my workout during weeknights that i can do this in.I can probably allow for 2hrs on the weekends between HIIT and then Weights afterwards.So on Weeknights, what would allow me to do both while getting some benefit from it.- HIIT with a 15-30min Rest then Weights- Weights with a 15-30min Rest then HIIT- or would there not be enough benefit with such a short window between HIIT and Weights?

Why do you need to do HIIT on the same day as resistance training? Depending on your goals, it might take away from the intensity you bring in the gym. The best times for HIIT are...1.) Fasted Morning 2.) After Dinner3.) After training (worst option)In that order.

Lesli Bortz
    Participant

+1, if you must!

Grimlorn

What kind of weightlifting program are you doing throughout the week and on what days?I'm assuming you want to do sprints for HIIT for Soccer right?

Caino
    Participant

I do hiit sometimes on my upper body days right before i lift, havnt had a problem yet nor do i feel gassed

mrsmith

I do 5/3/1 with the following split, Tue MilitaryThu DeadliftSat BenchSun SquatYes i will be performing sprints for HIIT.From Keifer's Anabolic Cardio Article he writes "First, schedule your training so you’ll
be completing your HIIT workouts up to
 an hour prior to your resistance training"So im a bit confused why everyone is saying that we should not do HIIT within 2 hours of Resistance Training when Keifer states to do it within and hour of Resistance Training.Am I missing something that was on a recent podcast or forum post?

Richard Schmitt

I do 5/3/1 with the following split, Tue MilitaryThu DeadliftSat BenchSun SquatYes i will be performing sprints for HIIT.From Keifer's Anabolic Cardio Article he writes "First, schedule your training so you’ll
 an hour prior to your resistance training"So im a bit confused why everyone is saying that we should not do HIIT within 2 hours of Resistance Training when Keifer states to do it within and hour of Resistance Training.Am I missing something that was on a recent podcast or forum post?

Did you read it thoroughly? ANAC is meant for those appearing on stage and have low levels  of body fat. It is not to attempt to achieve low levels of body fat. What ANAC help do for those getting on stage, it helps assist them to lose some body fat while maintaining their lean muscle they accumulated over the last 3+ months preparing for a show

It's all about goals. If you are aim for hypertrophy then don't do HIIT and resistance training together, if you are aiming for fat loss (Or mitochondrial density which will help with fat loss) then do the anabolic cardio protocol.

Grimlorn

There's a couple things you can do. You can change it so you lift 2 or 3 days a week and then do HIIT two other days. press and dl day and squat and bench day.You can also try running the sprints after your military and bench press days, because you're just working your upper body those days so you can probably get away with sprints after that. But if you do that, you might want to switch your squat and dl days to before your upper body days so your legs aren't sore from the sprinting when you lift weights the day after. Depends on how sprinting affects your lifts the next day.

mrsmith

Thanks Trevorxgage & Grimlorn, I can probably do HIIT before resistance training on weekends, so i will do this in the morning on Sat & Sun.I will also try to add HIIT on Tuesdays and hour or so before Resistance Training(Military Press).

Caino
    Participant

Hey while where on the subject what sort of hiit do you guys do? I used to do 20 50m hill sprints and walk back down and go up strait away, worked like a champ but i moved house and only flat land there is a 100m strait path whixh i might use for sprints! What sort of ratios can you go by seeing as i cant go 30 seconds all out like kiefer recomends there is no path long enough! Some advice would be ace!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

HIIT Before or After Resistance Training

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?