HIIT – how many cycles – for guys

• This topic has 8 voices and 41 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author

cloudybrain
    Participant

In a video that kiefer posted a few years ago, he mentions for men to do 4 min slow paced, 30 seconds to 1 mins all out.. and do this for 8-10 cycles.In another video, he mentions how HIIT before resistance training is optimal (within the hour of performing HIIT). Has anyone done the 4 mins slow - 1 min fast.. 10 cycles.. AND resistance training right after?? If so, what supplements have you used? I've personally used luecine, coconut oil, cream, coffee as a pre workout.. and I still felt super depleted midway in my resistance training.. and I just felt there's no way I can be doing this every week.However, in the shockwave protocol, he mentioned 4 mins 30 seconds slow paced, 30 seconds high intensity.. 6 cycles and avoid doing any resistance training within 2 hours of doing HIIT. I'm assuming this is older outdated info? Personally.. I just do carb nite on Friday, do HIIT on saturday and sunday and skip the resistance training. I've done this over the weekend, and felt satisfied with how I felt leaving the gym. Or should I still incorporate resistance training after?

cloudybrain
    Participant

In the latest article..http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/hiit-can-get-you-huge-especially-if-you-are-meathead.html4 mins slow, 30 seconds fast.. 4-6 cycles?So we went from shockwave saying.. 6 cycles.. to a video saying 8-10 cycles.. back down to 4-6?What's with the variance here?

In the latest article..http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/hiit-can-get-you-huge-especially-if-you-are-meathead.html4 mins slow, 30 seconds fast.. 4-6 cycles?So we went from shockwave saying.. 6 cycles.. to a video saying 8-10 cycles.. back down to 4-6?What's with the variance here?

It depends on your goals, it also depend on the intensity put out. Going truly all out, it's going to be hard to get more then 6 rounds. I generally go with as many as I can before I am no longer recovering between bouts, which normally is 5-6.

cloudybrain
    Participant

So you're saying try to use auto-regulation.. meaning.. if you think you can put another cycle in.. go for it?What about the resistance training afterwards? My goal is purely fat loss. I'm already muscular as it is.. and I just need to lean out..

So you're saying try to use auto-regulation.. meaning.. if you think you can put another cycle in.. go for it?What about the resistance training afterwards? My goal is purely fat loss. I'm already muscular as it is.. and I just need to lean out..

You may be able to resistance train after about 30 minutes, but ideally you would do them totally separate.

cloudybrain
    Participant

Hmm.. I really don't see how that can be practical. Going to the gym.. do HIIT.. and then linger around for 30 mins.. then do resistance. Though kiefer did mention doing HIIT immediately before resistance training is beneficial.So I'm really asking about the variance of information I'm getting here. He mentions 2 hours.. then shortens it to "up to 1 hour".. then he says "immediately before" in one of his videos.I'm THINKING, that the 4-6 rotations is if you're doing resistance training right after. and the 8-10 is if you're doing HIIT with no resistance training.. (and that you can do training after two hours).. I've noticed in the article.. he's only talking about making muscle gains.. nor did he mention anything about CNS or CBL.I've also noticed he's talking about only doing HIIT when you want to weight train.. making it a better combination than just doing HIIT alone (like what I did).

With CNS you actually have to be careful how much HIIT you do. Really with CNS I think the best option would be a 3 day (Mon-Wed-Fri) a week full body training program, with a 6-8 bout session on tue, and a 4-6 on Thur.With CBL you have more options, but in that cases HIIT is largely to deplete glycogen which you would be better off just adjusting your diet then adding a bunch of HIIT.

Scope75

Since I have a Airdyne know I'll be doing 5-6rds in the am 2-3 times a week. 4 minute warm then 10s all out 50s rest. Nothing like making your lungs explode in only 9-10 minutes.

Melvin McLain
    Participant

In the latest article..http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/hiit-can-get-you-huge-especially-if-you-are-meathead.html

Not exactly the latest... "Reprinted with permission from the Nov/Dec 2012 edition of Power Magazine."

mr a j dickinson
    Participant

Since I have a Airdyne know I'll be doing 5-6rds in the am 2-3 times a week. 4 minute warm then 10s all out 50s rest. Nothing like making your lungs explode in only 9-10 minutes.

I picked mine up yesterday. had a go this morning, 5 minute warm up, 10s on, 50s rest. managed 5 rounds, but the last was quite shitty. Then did 5 minute warm down.There is NOTHING that touches this kind of HIIT. It is brutal. doing the 10s on 50s off I think I was averaging around 30-35 calories a minute. A lot compared to other cardio I've done previously.

cloudybrain
    Participant

In the latest article..http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/hiit-can-get-you-huge-especially-if-you-are-meathead.html

Not exactly the latest... "Reprinted with permission from the Nov/Dec 2012 edition of Power Magazine."

Well it's been updated as of Nov 07, 2014, not sure what's been updated..

Scope75

I picked mine up yesterday. had a go this morning, 5 minute warm up, 10s on, 50s rest. managed 5 rounds, but the last was quite shitty. Then did 5 minute warm down.There is NOTHING that touches this kind of HIIT. It is brutal. doing the 10s on 50s off I think I was averaging around 30-35 calories a minute. A lot compared to other cardio I've done previously.

X2 on nothing comes close and my resting RPMs is 45-50 and full out is 105-110. Last round drops to 5-10rpms but I'm smoked by then.

cloudybrain
    Participant

isn't there a point to the 4 mins and 30 seconds slow pace though? as opposed to a 50 sec?

Richard Schmitt

isn't there a point to the 4 mins and 30 seconds slow pace though? as opposed to a 50 sec?

It is more so for allowing yourself to achieve full recovery, so that you may "push" out more glycogen with heavy resistance during the 30 second bursts.

cloudybrain
    Participant

It is more so for allowing yourself to achieve full recovery, so that you may "push" out more glycogen with heavy resistance during the 30 second bursts.

Yeh.. you wouldn't get that was 50 sec rest, 10 sec on then. Unless you're doing that HIIT cycle for a different purpose than pushing out glycogen stores. But I'm understanding HIIT better with CBL and CNS now.. and why there's variations and why some people can do it on days not relating to their resistance training.I tried to check out the whole HIIT thing myself.. coming from the mindset that there's only one optimal way of doing HIIT and one appropriate time to do it... turns out that HIIT is just a physical supplement.since I am doing CNS.. and body fat is the only thing I wanna lose.. I'm doing the shockwave protocol with a split on mon, tues, thurs, fri.. fri is my carb nite.. with sat and sun as my HIIT days.. Sat (6-8 cycles).. Sun (4-6 cycles)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

HIIT – how many cycles – for guys

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?