HIIT – how many cycles – for guys

• This topic has 8 voices and 41 replies.
Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author

mr a j dickinson
    Participant

hiit the airdyne this morning.5 minute warm up, 10s on 50s off with around 50-60rpm resting and 110-120rpm full pelt.did 5 rounds. overall 10 minutes + warm down for 226 calories and 3.16 miles.this thing is awesome.

Crazy....I do about the same and end up with around the same cals and distance traveled. These bikes must be all closely calibrated. Lol

It is so good, because even in a rush in the morning, you have 10 minutes to just get it done and go off and enjoy the day without worrying about getting it done later.

Scope75

hiit the airdyne this morning.5 minute warm up, 10s on 50s off with around 50-60rpm resting and 110-120rpm full pelt.did 5 rounds. overall 10 minutes + warm down for 226 calories and 3.16 miles.this thing is awesome.

Crazy....I do about the same and end up with around the same cals and distance traveled. These bikes must be all closely calibrated. Lol

It is so good, because even in a rush in the morning, you have 10 minutes to just get it done and go off and enjoy the day without worrying about getting it done later.

Exactly....Even if you wake up late 10-12 minutes for kick as session should still be able to be worked in. It's so much better than a regular bike or treadmill and you can even use it to just warm up and get your upper body ready for work too. Like yesterday before bench I warmed up on the Airdyne then the last 3-4m I put my feet on the pegs and held 45-50rpms with just my arms and I was more than ready to go.

mr a j dickinson
    Participant

it is my go to thing now. warmed up tonight on it, just 5 minutes at 60rpm with a couple of sprints in short blasts just to get the blood flowing.

Scope75

it is my go to thing now. warmed up tonight on it, just 5 minutes at 60rpm with a couple of sprints in short blasts just to get the blood flowing.

That's exactly how I warm up too. Few 10s blast over 10 minutes and I'm ready to rock and roll.

cloudybrain
    Participant

okay after spending my lunch break on researching material for this.. I finally came to a conclusion.I'd do the HIIT cycle that scope75 did as a warm up. Apparently by doing HIIT, you free up fatty acids into your blood stream. I'll do this right before my workout. Resistance training will further tap into those fatty acids.Then, research showed me that if I tag on a 20 min round of LISS at the end, I burn up those free fatty acids first and reduce the ability of having them return back to whence they came.On a day where I'm not working out.. I can just do the regular HIIT training cycle of 4 mins 30 sec off, 30 secs on phase.. 4-6 cycles followed by 20 mins LISS.

cloudybrain
    Participant

alright.. today I did what I said I was gonna do. I did my HIIT, 10 sec on, 50 sec off.. for 6 rotations.. 2 min warm down. Then I did my work out, today was back exercises. Then I did LISS for 20 mins. I actually felt pretty darn good after the workout. Usually I'd leave the workout exhausted or tired.. but today it felt pretty invigorating.The HIIT woke me up and got me going. Throughout the resistance training I felt pretty energized (even though I was in a fasted state). And the LISS at the end.. the pace I usually go at 3.0 mph felt really slow.. so I increased it to 3.5 mph, my breathing was still normal and I was keeping up. To be honest, at the end of the 20 mins, I felt like I could go on forever.Not bad.

Scope75

Early morning HIIT gets the CNS fired up and ready to work. 2min warm up then 6rds HIIT but instead of lifting I just did a 22min cool down and a few set of bench before I had to jump in the shower. Right now I'm still amped up and ready to go.

cloudybrain
    Participant

yeh I really appreciate this nice tip for HIIT warmups. I'm at work, and I'm really not feeling sluggish at all.

Scope75

yeh I really appreciate this nice tip for HIIT warmups. I'm at work, and I'm really not feeling sluggish at all.

You'd expect to be toast after that amount of work but nope just gets your ready for more. When I lifted at golds Id do HIIT every morning at 4:30-5am and never crash that day.

mr a j dickinson
    Participant

I'm doing my resistance training in the PM around 7pm on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. I do the HIIT on the bike in the AM on the same days. Logic is my rest days are properly rested then. I don't need the proper rest really as I've just started a new program which hasn't challenged me massively yet, but it will do in a few months time.As you say though, doing the HIIT in the morning gets you fired up through the day to go again.

I see some Airdyne mentions in this post.  Has anyone tried the 300FY on the Airdyne?  Essentially it's a ten minute test of max calories with the goal being 300.  I've tried a few times and barely get over 220.

Scope75

I see some Airdyne mentions in this post.  Has anyone tried the 300FY on the Airdyne?  Essentially it's a ten minute test of max calories with the goal being 300.  I've tried a few times and barely get over 220.

Challenge excepted. LolSounds brutal because cals don't come easy on a Airdyne.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

HIIT – how many cycles – for guys

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?