How do I get better at pull-ups?

• This topic has 6 voices and 8 replies.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Nicholas Alonzo
    Participant

So I have this issue with wide grip pull-ups I suck at them and I don't know how to fix this.I have stalled out at around 10-12 body weight pull-up per set but I can't seem to do any more reps and I can't seem to add any weight. Dips on the other hand I'm adding like 5-7.5 lbs per week with my dip belt Do I have overly weak lats or something? How do I break through this plateau I've had for months?

Richard Schmitt

I would just lower your reps and add weight. Do that for a couple of weeks, and then attempt to do BW pull-ups.

Nicholas Alonzo
    Participant

I would just lower your reps and add weight. Do that for a couple of weeks, and then attempt to do BW pull-ups.

If I add like 5lbs I can only do like 5 reps I don't know if that's enough to stimulate my muscles?

Richard Schmitt

If I add like 5lbs I can only do like 5 reps I don't know if that's enough to stimulate my muscles?

Yes, especially if you're doing 4-5 sets, also the basic rep range for building strength. Which in turn will help increase reps at a lower weight, i.e. your body weight.

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

I wouldn't do wide grip pullups until you've mastered regular pullups.  Wide grip pullups are much, much harder than regular pullups.  You just have to get stronger.What do you do for pullups currently?

Roadblock
    Participant

How is this guy a newbie AND a mod?

Spatz

Extreme talent (0%) and a touch of luck (100%).He was the 100,000th member and won a title?

Melvin McLain
    Participant

Or someone punched the wrong button (he's been a member less than 2 weeks). 😀

Brandon D Christ
    Participant

Haha I made a comment about that in another thread.  Pretty sure it's a mistake.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

How do I get better at pull-ups?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?