How Important is the PWO Shake really?

• This topic has 3 voices and 5 replies.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

LegsMegs81
    Participant

Okay a little devil's advocate here so don't go sending mean name-calling messages back..But as a girl who puts on muscle easily (please realize that I am an exception from the average woman- think Jessica Biel who has the ability to put on and loose muscle with still great shape. Also Brett Contreras talks about this in a recent article http://bretcontreras.com/how-to-attain-a-slender-look-like-jessica-alba-zoe-saldana/">http://bretcontreras.com/how-to-attain-a-slender-look-like-jessica-alba-zoe-saldana/   Is the PWO shake still important to take after a weight-training workout? If I eat a normal meal right after wouldn't I still be fueling my muscles and repairing the muscle tissue? For my goals do I really need to spike my insulin after?Thanks for your feedback!

TCB
    Participant

Immediately after a workout, our bodies aren't exactly primed for digestion. So using whole food as a PWO has a greater chance of it just sitting in your stomach for a bit before digestion really kicks in. Then it has to actually start being digested before the nutrients can hit the blood stream, and thus get shuttled to muscles for recovery. All this delay could possibly end up in you missing the “PWO window” where your muscles are most ready to soak up the good stuff.So, by doing a liquid, you speed up digestion, and because liquid is already broken down into such small particles, it's already "pre-digested" a bit, thus you get much faster acting nutrients into the muscles.So for optimal recovery, you'd be best served by having a PWO shake, and then 30-90 min later having a meal. 🙂PS - Jessica Biel is facking hot. Why would you not want to look like her? 😉

LegsMegs81
    Participant

Thank you for that. Nutritional fun facts I haven't learned yet so thank you. I think Jessica Alba is hot too. I mentioned Jessica Biel though because she has the ability to pack on muscle and loose it when she needs to for a role. But muscular or sleeker they both look awesome.

TCB
    Participant

Oooops! I corrected it. I meant Biel, ha. Don't really care much for Alba anymore.

THis post is old, but wondering is there any advantage to waiting longer (like closer to 90 mins) than to sooner (30?). Or is any time in that window good to go? My work schedule is such that I can get that meal in 30 minutes and then be off to work, otherwise I have to wait a very long time and I know that's not optimal. I'm a teacher so I can't just tell the kids to hang on while I heat up some lamb. Haha. I have to wait til 10am and I don't want to do that since I finish training at 6:30, have a whey drink right then and then I'm off to workIs having the whey at 6:30 then breakfast at 7 just fine? Any info on the best macro breakdown of that first meal after weights and whey? More protein better? More fat? thanks

TCB
    Participant

THis post is old, but wondering is there any advantage to waiting longer (like closer to 90 mins) than to sooner (30?). Or is any time in that window good to go? My work schedule is such that I can get that meal in 30 minutes and then be off to work, otherwise I have to wait a very long time and I know that's not optimal. I'm a teacher so I can't just tell the kids to hang on while I heat up some lamb. Haha. I have to wait til 10am and I don't want to do that since I finish training at 6:30, have a whey drink right then and then I'm off to workIs having the whey at 6:30 then breakfast at 7 just fine? Any info on the best macro breakdown of that first meal after weights and whey? More protein better? More fat? thanks

That's fine. And a standard ULC meal is all you need. Though waiting til 10am wouldn't be an issue either. All about how you want to do it and makes you feel the best 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

How Important is the PWO Shake really?

Please login / register in order to chat with others.

Forgot your details?